Whats wrong with truckers?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
......... 10034102_web1_truckweb2.jpeg

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey we are talking about drivers sucking at their job and killing people.

Not you being an awesome driver.

I suggested ****ty equipment could be one reason.

I never said I was any good. All I'm saying if it's so easy come and give it a go. Lots of keyboard chatter but yet no one willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Limiting speed is not the answer. Ever get stuck behind a arrow or lomak hauling chips? Proper training and gaining experience is the only way to go

xpbrian

Reaction score
A lot of what I see are single vehicle accidents.Two more this past weekend before sicamous altho not sure whos fault in fatality Friday night.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fly more now, if I take my car I back two days supplies of food and water, it seems they cannot seem to comprehended the idea of alternating traffic.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is referring to the article in Lund’s post.
Just an FYI.

The speed limit in Ontario on a two lane hwy is 90km/h
On a four and six lane hwy the speed limit is 100km/h. These are mostly in the south of the province and on the six laners, the big trucks are limited to the middle and slow lane.

Flyer

Reaction score
I don't think it's as profound as they say. Figures don't lie, but liars figure. That said, all my trucks are speed limited. 105 kph. My pickups are also set with the Ford mykey system to not exceed 130 kph. Warnings at 105 kph. If I could, I'd limit them to 110, but that's not an option.

Trimac used to have a 90 kph limit on all their trucks. They found in a survey that the biggest source of job dissatisfaction was the 90 kph limitation. They changed it. Trucks were more aerodynamic, and efficiency at higher speeds although not as good as 90, had improved. This dissatisfaction was above all pay, benefit and other working conditions! We have trouble getting enough people in the industry now, never mind good people, so don't saddle us with 90 kph!

While we're at it, let's restrict all passenger cars to a maximum of 110 kph. That's the highest speed limit I'm aware of in Canada, and it allows a 5 kph advantage to four wheelers for passing. I don't like folks speeding when my kids are out there on the road with them anyway.

For that matter, current GPS databases can display the speed limit for your current location. Let's wire that to the engine computer, and make it so no vehicle is capable of exceeding the speed limit!

Most new vehicles are governed at 160 kph. Why do drivers need that capability beyond speed limits! There's room there for a class action lawsuit by anyone who's ever lost a loved one to a speeding vehicle!

Careful now, this is a trap. If you start explaining to me why you should have a 70 kph speed advantage over my trucks, how you're a better driver, and can handle that speed, that you don't need big brother to prevent you from doing anything stupid, you'll walk into the trap, and lose the arguement!

Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Putting out a challenge here to anyone of the "civilians" or perhaps know it all traveling public. I will offer up my truck for a drive for someone here that says they can do better.

Perhaps we can both learn something
I've shut up quite a few rig hands that criticized my bed truck operating performance. Jumped right out of the truck more than once and said "If you think you can do better, have atter." Nobody ever took me up on my offer.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A read for them awesome do no wrong trucker's.
Speed limiter's are coming, Ontario has implemented it with profound success and BC is seriously looking at it.
Its about time.
https://bctrucking.com/bulletin/201...ters-drastically-improve-truck-highway-safety

Unfortunalty that is the BC Truckers Association and they have pretty much zero power or influence in this province. They keep chugging along and trying but they never get anywhere.

I for one have no problem with a speed limiter set at 105, it is a much more reasonable and realistic number. Seldom do I get over that number, I am a 103 and cruise control type of guy.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
This is referring to the article in Lund’s post.
Just an FYI.

The speed limit in Ontario on a two lane hwy is 90km/h
On a four and six lane hwy the speed limit is 100km/h. These are mostly in the south of the province and on the six laners, the big trucks are limited to the middle and slow lane.
This has been going on in a lot of states forever.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've shut up quite a few rig hands that criticized my bed truck operating performance. Jumped right out of the truck more than once and said "If you think you can do better, have atter." Nobody ever took me up on my offer.

Anytime someone has said that to me I have always taken them up on the offer. Worst case scenario is you learn something

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope but that’s my load, pick up pulled out thinking he could beet the truck so he didn’t have to slowly fallow it down into town. Trucker was hard on the brakes to avoid killing the spinning pick up driver that was trying to get in from of him. with that weight sliding He did a great job keeping it on the road and avoiding a deadly situation.
the old fella is now retired.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you saying in all cases involving a highway tractor it was the tractors fault. just curious.

Certainly not time. Logger needed a small tug to get things back on the road and away he went to dump the load...d.o.t stuff and needless to say he didn’t pick up a second load.
costly day for everyone, I’m sure the pick up driver learn the hard way that you don’t pull out in front of 100k lbs.

Top Bottom