Whats wrong with truckers?

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trucking industry has be tainted for years. Like a lot of other industries don’t get me wrong. I remember going to a Volvo dealership Outside of Mississauga about 15 years ago. I was there to install a new ac compressor and then recharge the system on a 3rd party big rig. Long story short I didn’t end up doing it because there was sh&t all over the under carriage. There was a perfectly cut hole in the floor of the cab. They just did there business on the fly. I can’t even describe the smell of that cab. You want to live and drive like pigs your going to be treated like one. Bottom line. What a lot of these small company’s do is buy the truck. Get a family to get there liscences to get there there time books but only ever use one driver. Ride all over the country like that.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trucking industry has be tainted for years. Like a lot of other industries don’t get me wrong. I remember going to a Volvo dealership Outside of Mississauga about 15 years ago. I was there to install a new ac compressor and then recharge the system on a 3rd party big rig. Long story short I didn’t end up doing it because there was sh&t all over the under carriage. There was a perfectly cut hole in the floor of the cab. They just did there business on the fly. I can’t even describe the smell of that cab. You want to live and drive like pigs your going to be treated like one. Bottom line. What a lot of these small company’s do is buy the truck. Get a family to get there liscences to get there there time books but only ever use one driver. Ride all over the country like that.
I can confirm this as I have a buddy that has a heavy duty shop and says the same thing. When a new Canadian drops off a truck they put a guy on a creeper and look underneath. If everything is covered in chit they turn it away. Maybe the most disgusting thing you could encounter. Friggen pigs.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL I thought this was common knowledge.. My Uncle was service manager at Peterbilt Calgary for years and a $150 charge to steam undercarriage was right on the repair estimate.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't that what a hazmat suit is for?

what about the poor fawker who had to do the steam cleaning?

Hazmat Suit.jpg

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the pleasure of travelling the qe2 this weekend. Had to deal with a truck pulling double tri axle trailers who decided to try and pass a double trailer fuel truck going uphill. It took over 5 kms for him to pass. Meanwhile traffic was piling up behind me at 90km in the passing lane.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys like that deserve to be sterilized.
Had the pleasure of travelling the qe2 this weekend. Had to deal with a truck pulling double tri axle trailers who decided to try and pass a double trailer fuel truck going uphill. It took over 5 kms for him to pass. Meanwhile traffic was piling up behind me at 90km in the passing lane.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Semi truck drag racing is my least-favorite motorsport. It's fawking embarrasing!!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It’s equally frustrating driving a speed limited truck and your always catching up to slower speed limited/heavier/less power trucks. You can catch up to another truck quick when your in his draft, but when you pull out to pass and start cutting into the wind things change.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s equally frustrating driving a speed limited truck and your always catching up to slower speed limited/heavier/less power trucks. You can catch up to another truck quick when your in his draft, but when you pull out to pass and start cutting into the wind things change.
Trim back the cruise 2KM/hr and relax.
Payday is Friday.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Payday is Friday.

That may be easy to say but you have to remember your dealing with peoples livelyhood. If the speed limit is 100 kmh and your able to travel at 100 kmh consistently with your truck, and you catch another truck traveling at 90 kmh, you have lost 10% of your productivity. The truck doing 100 kmh has the right to travel at that speed and is well withing his rights to pass the truck traveling at 90 kmh at the first possible SAFE location. That SAFE location is often times passing lanes on a hill where both trucks will loose speed. The driver of the faster truck has to back off a km or so before the hill in order to get a run at it to get by as fast as he can.

The key thing is it has to be done safely and often times the only place that is safe to pass in on a passing lane. The driver of the truck is on a limited hour work schedule and has to abide by log books and regulations, and most are now on electronic logs where there is no way to screw with it.

If your solution is for the truck to back off and kill his productivity, is it not also a viable solution for the passenger vehicle to back off and wait his turn for a safe passing area? There are far more areas a passenger vehicle can pass without a passing lane than a truck can and the truck has every bit as much right to use that passing lane. You the passenger vehicle are in that trucks workplace. There has to be more consideration from the trucks towards passanger vehicle, but there also needs to be more consideration from the passanger vehicles towards the trucks.

Not every truck is equal, not every driver is equal, not every schedule is equal. When you go to the sled shop to pick up the parts you were waiting for and are told, sorry the truck didnt make it on time, he was stuck behind a slower unit are you going to be accepting of that? I can tell you for a fact that most freight companies are not happy when their freight arrives late.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In our area we have a local chip company who is speed restricted to 90 kmh, but they are allowed to go up to 100 kmh for a small period of time. Some of their drivers think its real cool to let the traffic back up behind them, then speed up on the passing lanes, they run some decent horsepower so they can roll pretty good in the passing lanes.

Well, we came with with a solution for that problem and man does it piss them off. When we get behind one about a km before the passing lane the first truck behind them backs right off then gets a real head of steam up and times it to blow by him at the start of the passing lane, but here is where it gets fun, as soon as the first truck gets ahead of him you jump into his lane and you back right off, hell slow down to 60 kmh if you have to, that allows everybody else to slingshot past him, passenger vehicles, other trucks, whoever is behind. You watch in the mirror and if it looks like the last couple of vehicles are not going to make it, you just slow down some more. The drivers of the chip trucks scream like wild banshee's on the radio, and everyone else laughs their asses off. In the meantime that lineup of traffic is gone, the passenger vehicle get out front and the slow poke is in the back. A win win for everybody but the chip truck.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Payday is Friday.

Thats akin to your boss coming over to you and saying instead of 30 bucks an hour your only getting 25 bucks an hour today because your buddy Johnny is dragging his ass today.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That may be easy to say but you have to remember your dealing with peoples livelyhood. If the speed limit is 100 kmh and your able to travel at 100 kmh consistently with your truck, and you catch another truck traveling at 90 kmh, you have lost 10% of your productivity. The truck doing 100 kmh has the right to travel at that speed and is well withing his rights to pass the truck traveling at 90 kmh at the first possible SAFE location. That SAFE location is often times passing lanes on a hill where both trucks will loose speed. The driver of the faster truck has to back off a km or so before the hill in order to get a run at it to get by as fast as he can.

The key thing is it has to be done safely and often times the only place that is safe to pass in on a passing lane. The driver of the truck is on a limited hour work schedule and has to abide by log books and regulations, and most are now on electronic logs where there is no way to screw with it.

If your solution is for the truck to back off and kill his productivity, is it not also a viable solution for the passenger vehicle to back off and wait his turn for a safe passing area? There are far more areas a passenger vehicle can pass without a passing lane than a truck can and the truck has every bit as much right to use that passing lane. You the passenger vehicle are in that trucks workplace. There has to be more consideration from the trucks towards passanger vehicle, but there also needs to be more consideration from the passanger vehicles towards the trucks.

Not every truck is equal, not every driver is equal, not every schedule is equal. When you go to the sled shop to pick up the parts you were waiting for and are told, sorry the truck didnt make it on time, he was stuck behind a slower unit are you going to be accepting of that? I can tell you for a fact that most freight companies are not happy when their freight arrives late.

I always try to remind myself that truckers are doing a job that keeps the economy rolling and try to give them some leeway when they are trying to get a pass completed. As you said in your post "There are far more areas a passenger vehicle can pass without a passing lane than a truck can"

Truckers that really piss me off are the ones that tail-gait other vehicles, specifically other trucks, so you cant complete a pass without going all banzai passing multiple vehicles.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always try to remind myself that truckers are doing a job that keeps the economy rolling and try to give them some leeway when they are trying to get a pass completed. As you said in your post "There are far more areas a passenger vehicle can pass without a passing lane than a truck can"

Truckers that really piss me off are the ones that tail-gait other vehicles, specifically other trucks, so you cant complete a pass without going all banzai passing multiple vehicles.

The simple problem is truckers are a cross section of humanity, there are some good ones, lots of decent ones but there are a bunch of idiots as well.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Why do you assume every passenger vehicle or every vehicle , except the big trucks are the only ones who are working. They're doing their job, that's great , and you tout all the reasons we should respect their right to make money, be on time , be productive. I suggest there are many other "passenger vehicle" , you know , the ones who just get in your way, who are on the road working, trying to be productive, delivering product or people. You bet , there are idiots in all vehicles, but in reality the ones who screw up the traffic the worst are the idiots driving the big trucks, plugging up the few passing lanes we have by attempting to pass with the ability to go 2 mph faster than the other guy , (so they can be productive) pulling out when unsafe to do so etc. that's what this thread was about IMO. I have great respect for that industry , none for some of the idiot drivers, and even less for the owners of the companies who knowingly hire non qualified or non capable drivers because they just need a driver.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do you assume every passenger vehicle or every vehicle , except the big trucks are the only ones who are working. They're doing their job, that's great , and you tout all the reasons we should respect their right to make money, be on time , be productive. I suggest there are many other "passenger vehicle" , you know , the ones who just get in your way, who are on the road working, trying to be productive, delivering product or people. You bet , there are idiots in all vehicles, but in reality the ones who screw up the traffic the worst are the idiots driving the big trucks, plugging up the few passing lanes we have by attempting to pass with the ability to go 2 mph faster than the other guy , (so they can be productive) pulling out when unsafe to do so etc. that's what this thread was about IMO. I have great respect for that industry , none for some of the idiot drivers, and even less for the owners of the companies who knowingly hire non qualified or non capable drivers because they just need a driver.

My point is simply this: Many on here seem to feel that they are more entitled to using a passing lane than a truck is. The simple fact is they are much fewer SAFE passing options for a truck than a passenger vehicle on single lane highways. By law the truck has equal rights to that passing lane as any other vehicle.

You might get pissed off because your not able to get by because a truck is making a pass, but frankly that is a very selfish opinion and would you rather have that truck passing in a SAFE spot or would you rather come around a corner and meet 2 trucks side by side because it takes so long for them to get by that they take a stupid chance?

The vast majority of passenger vehicles are traveling WAY above the posted speed limit and are comfortable breaking that law, but become pissed off because a trucker is trying to make a safe pass in a passing zone that he is entitled to.

There are ways for both sides to help with the problems, but the next time you are getting pissed off, look in a mirror and ask yourself, the couple of minutes you are losing by that truck trying to pass, is it really that important? Is your wife giving birth at the other end? Are you racing to the emergency ward because your passenger is having a medical condition? Or are you simply impatient and looking for the next Timmies to have a coffee?

We are now into the summer driving season and I know myself that I fear the highways much more in the summer than the winter. Far to many impatient drivers driving way to fast taking way to many chances to get somewhere that it doesnt really matter if they are there now or and hour later. In the winter the road conditions may be worse, but there are far fewer vehicles out there, now that it is summer every Tom Dick and Harry are in a hurry to get somewhere.

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And now tourism season starts, we get the joy of having the family of 4 pull over half off the road, half on the road to show little Johnny that bear sitting in the ditch having some dinner. Nothing better for an adrenaline rush than coming around a corner, seeing a stopped RV blocking half your lane and oncoming traffic headed your way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom