whats happenng near bruderheim ??

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sittin at work here at the scotford complex and lookin north east at not one but two seperate huge plums of smoke and getting bigger everytime I look.
Been a steady stream of trucks and trailers with quads on headed out of there too.

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EDMONTON - Strathcona County Emergency Services are busy Sunday afternoon fighting two large grass fires, both north of the town of Bruderheim.

Fire chief Ken Jones said the fires are about the same size and extremely large. They are blazing on either side of Hwy. 830.

Bruderheim is about 30 kilometers northeast of Edmonton.

Almost exactly one year ago, a massive brush fire near the town destroyed five homes and one unoccupied house.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EDMONTON - Strathcona County Emergency Services are busy Sunday afternoon fighting two large grass fires, both north of the town of Bruderheim.

Fire chief Ken Jones said the fires are about the same size and extremely large. They are blazing on either side of Hwy. 830.

Bruderheim is about 30 kilometers northeast of Edmonton.

Almost exactly one year ago, a massive brush fire near the town destroyed five homes and one unoccupied house.

Everyone have a spark arrestor in their exhaust pipe?

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just drove by there from work and looks like one is happening right at the dunes east of the highway and the other is also in a lesser used riding area to the west.Sure hope a quad or motorbike didn't cause them.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Watching Global news tonight, looks like they were hovering over the main Bruderheim Natural area, you could see the staging area and lots of atv tracks. Hope that area is not up in flames. Even though there is alot of muskeg and mud, the grass and trees are real dry and ready to burn. Watch your fire and when your done please make sure its totally out. And as previously asked have a spark arrestor on your bike.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was driving up to McMurray at about 3pm and went through Bruderheim. I was passed by water tankers and cops and even some heavy equipment going to these fires. It appears to be two fire, I couldnt tell exactly where they were but the entrances were blocked to get into the staging areas. I could see the smoke from Sherwood Park and kinda thought it was Shell or Dow on fire with all the smoke coming from there. I snapped a couple pictures for y'all to see whats happening.

I sure hope this wasnt started by OHV riders carelessly having a campfire. Gonna cost millions of bucks to put out the fire and the area will never be the same

Attachments

• fire 003.jpg
    fire 003.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 57
  • fire 013.jpg
    fire 013.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 68
  • fire 014.jpg
    fire 014.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 66

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i sure hope it wasn't the result of some jacka$$ on a quad or bike or something. I would hate for bruderheim to get shut down, it's a good place to head out quading for a day thats close to town.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
listen guys i have a stupid question what is a spark arrestor, how do i know/find out if our quads have them, and where can i get them? ok so i guess it was 3 questions but any help would be nice.
thanks

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
listen guys i have a stupid question what is a spark arrestor, how do i know/find out if our quads have them, and where can i get them? ok so i guess it was 3 questions but any help would be nice.
thanks

If you are running the OEM exhaust you likely have a spark arrestor. They keep the exhaust from throwing out sparks that might ingnite flammable materials such as dry grass. one thing a spark arrestor will not do is keep the materials collected on the outside of your exhaust from getting hot and causing embers. that is why it is important to clean the muskeg off of your machine

Last edited:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
thanks

It is basicaly just a screen in yourr exhuast if you take a flashlight and look in the tailpipe it will be right at the end.
I took my SA out a few winters ago and at night when the engine brake was on going down hill at high RPMs sparks where shooting out 10 feet :eek: and they would sit on the snow for about 5 seconds before burning out after that I put it back in

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
My inlaws own Aquarius Ranch....one of the big ranches just before the boy scout camp in bruderhiem. Latest word is they figure it was started by a cigarett or sparks from a campfire. The place was packed this weekend and unfortunately they say it was a MESS...beer bottles broken everywhere, cans thrown into the bushes, campfires being left still burning, riders harassing and complaining about the horses on the trail, garbage left everywhere ect ect..... some riders make all of us look bad.....the fire is 1/2 mile from the inlaws ranch and they are ready to evacuate with the 20+ horses if the wind direction changes. They have gone out this morning on a rescue/recovery mission to look for 8 horses who were trapped in a pasture which was surrounded. They have neighbors who have already evacuated staying with them so long as their place is safe. The bird sanctuary is gone, it went up very fast and fire fighters were not able to get equipment to that site.
Localls have wanted this area shut down to ATV's for a long time, including my inlaws....not because they hate ATV's (they own them as well) problem is the ongoing lack of respect for the area. I used to ride out there all the time when I lived in Lamont before I even knew the wifes family. Now I find myself seeing both sides of the coin. Unfortunately this may be the ammunition needed to get the area shut down for ATV's.
At this point I just hope that the inlaws home and horses remain safe.
I'll let you know when I hear more.

Bogger
Ride with Respect

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder about these areas sometimes though.....I'm sure if access is easy, the bush partiers will use these areas too. Unless specifically identified as an ATV or ATV'ers fire, how do they know it wasn't some other reckless group? Spontaneously pointing a finger at a specific group is wrong, as is using these sorts of events for fulfilling personal agendas.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I wonder about these areas sometimes though.....I'm sure if access is easy, the bush partiers will use these areas too. Unless specifically identified as an ATV or ATV'ers fire, how do they know it wasn't some other reckless group? Spontaneously pointing a finger at a specific group is wrong, as is using these sorts of events for fulfilling personal agendas.

I agree 100% however ATV users are the vast majority in the area and no one can deny that...100's of users every weekend. we just need to pay more attention to self governing....maybe if they new a good old fasion azz kicking was the price to pay for not respecting the area the problem wouldn't be so wide spread.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I find this funny.... Dow showed up on site with one of thier pumpers and a firecrew yesterday to help out and was rejected and told to go back. Today they called the crew chief and asked if they want help again today and was told no they would handle it themselves. Guess it boils down to politics and who will get funding next year :nono:

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my uncle is on the thorhild municiple planning commision. im curious what the word around there is. might have to make a phone call :)

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
The inlaws have been given 1/2 hour to pack up valueables and get out....My wife is on her way out to help with the horses...mom is pretty upset dosen't sound like the fire fighting effort is having much effect, they are quite pessimistic.:(

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Parts of Lamont county under emergency order to evacuate. First time I've heard Alberta emergency broadcast system at work. Good luck folks.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The inlaws have been given 1/2 hour to pack up valueables and get out....My wife is on her way out to help with the horses...mom is pretty upset dosen't sound like the fire fighting effort is having much effect, they are quite pessimistic.:(

This is not a good thing. I was on my way home from Lamont yesterday from a funeral and saw all the smoke and flames then the highway was full of trucks and trailers with quads on them. There is no doubt in my mind that this will be all the ammunition needed for the political agenda to get this area closed down to all that have used it, quads, par-tiers etc...

Bogger if I can be of any assistance to your family let me know and I'll help out however I can.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
How do they know what really started the fire? It could just be from a cig butt from a car window. Why blame the quadders? Are they blaming the machine or the people who ride them and party by a fire that is left unnattended. Our fire at Med lake on Sunday had 5 pails of water thrown on it to make sure it was out. Most people do not do this. Ran into this same thing one time in Grave Flats area. Campers pack up, leave and there is a big fire in their pit which we put out. Idiots.

Top Bottom