Whats a good all around rifle?

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im just looking to hear what people have to say what a good all around bolt action rifle would be. Im currently interested in a .308 not sure which brand yet. And if anyone is looking for a Crossbow check out the hunting classifieds i have one for sale, before i can get my rifle.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a similar thread in the " product review " forum regarding "Savage Hunting Rifles". It sounds like the Savage rifle is a good value for the money.
I personal have a .270 Remmington 7600 and it is good but the recent built Rem model 700 has had some poor reviews lately. I think a .308, 30-06 or a 7MM Rem mag is a good all around calibre from deer to elk.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Im just looking to hear what people have to say what a good all around bolt action rifle would be. Im currently interested in a .308 not sure which brand yet. And if anyone is looking for a Crossbow check out the hunting classifieds i have one for sale, before i can get my rifle.

I'm really happy with my Rem. 30.06 but the .308 is a real nice calibure. You really can't go wrong with Remington but a weatherby would be my next choice. Lots of $$$ where the Rem is alot more reasonable. :beer:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7mm mag or 300 win mag in a Tikka, out of the box make remingtons look like garbage. Remington quality of late is sub par.

If you want to go custom and spend lots rem 700 all the way the limits are endless. A good friend who is a gun freak, just spent 3k on a Rem 700 in 7mm ackley improved. His off the shelf 7mm mag tikka has the same shot groups at 1/2" at 100 yds. Another option is CZ. You get what you pay for, buy it once and buy the best you can afford. (JMO)

Savage as mentioned above also has some fantastic values if you can get around the cheesy quality on some of their guns.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
7mm mag or 300 win mag in a Tikka, out of the box make remingtons look like garbage. Remington quality of late is sub par.

If you want to go custom and spend lots rem 700 all the way the limits are endless. A good friend who is a gun freak, just spent 3k on a Rem 700 in 7mm ackley improved. His off the shelf 7mm mag tikka has the same shot groups at 1/2" at 100 yds. Another option is CZ. You get what you pay for, buy it once and buy the best you can afford. (JMO)

Savage as mentioned above also has some fantastic values if you can get around the cheesy quality on some of their guns.

I got the Rem 700 no complaints whatsoever.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like browning guns.

300 mag

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used my Winchester 30-06 for the last 20 years and it has been up the mountain and down and has never let me down, it always get the job done and then some.

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done countless hours of research and have made my mind up on Tikka 270 WSM. Literally the best bang for your buck...great trajectory for when you have to reach out and touch an animal, great hitting energy at those long distances, very accurate up close I've heard testaments of guys putting 5 shells at 250 yards in a less than 2" grouping. Check out some ballistic charts and see what looks best for your hunting desires. Good Luck.:beer:

Oh ya and the Tikka Laminate stock with a brushed stainless barrel and scope is prettier than my wife...don't worry she's not an S&m er so I can get away with saying that.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive always like the 25-06 good for varmits to moose. If you reload your own you can get the velocity way up.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my Ruger M-77 in a 300 Win Mag cartridge.

I have the same gun in laminate and a stainless barrel. A little heavy compared to my browing a-bolt in .30-06 but its never let me down. I'm shooting 180gr accubonds out of it too. Works really well:)

I vote .30-06 or 300 win mag in a Ruger or Tikka. Both calibers are proven and will get the job done time after time.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my Ruger .300 mag. Also love my Remington .270.

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A......K.......47 for when you absolutely ...... positively ..... got's ta kill every m$%^&*()*()_+er in the room ......except no substitutes ( samual L jackson , JACKIE BROWN |):d:d

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm not a big fan of 30-06 they just arnt that good of a hunting rifle, i hear lots of guys bragging about their 7mm-08 its a new gun and that is what i'm going to get

Top Bottom