What would you do in this situation??

Briaaap

Reaction score
It is great to read threads like these. This is obviously an exceptionally bad year for avalanches and I am so happy to see that there are so many riders taking the time to discuss the "what would you do's" rather than boast about the near misses and the dangerous climbs made. The culture of snowmobiling is becoming safer and more respectable every day. I commend everyone who has taken the time to get avalanche training, and I can say as a fairly new sledder, I feel great knowing there are so many riders out there with the skills needed in case of an emergency. Stay safe out there everyone!

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. Quite a few Years back I took the IRAC course.(I think thats what they called it) Then took the AST 1 classroom and Field course by Zacstracs up in GP about five years ago. Updated this year and took my boys to AST1.5? (Again think thats what it was) with indoor rescue workshop. I really want to further this with the AST2 course. Everytime I take the course I find more stuff I have forgotten or didn't know. As well as the instructors themselves continue to learn and share experiences. I hope I never need to put any of these skills to work.Just like first aid training you hope you never have to exercise your skills!!

But I feel only a small portion is becoming safer and respectable. Just about every trip out I see a lot of beer guzzling Pot smokers inside a lot of the cabins bragging about how great they are!! Good influence on those of us who take families up there!!

I guess though better they sit in the cabin getting stoned and not on the hill endangering everyone around them!

It is great to read threads like these. This is obviously an exceptionally bad year for avalanches and I am so happy to see that there are so many riders taking the time to discuss the "what would you do's" rather than boast about the near misses and the dangerous climbs made. The culture of snowmobiling is becoming safer and more respectable every day. I commend everyone who has taken the time to get avalanche training, and I can say as a fairly new sledder, I feel great knowing there are so many riders out there with the skills needed in case of an emergency. Stay safe out there everyone!

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, you should help, even if their stupidity gets the best of them. Im sure if you dont make an effort the guilt will haunt you for a very long time. If you manage to rescue them in good/fair shape feel free to brain them with a shovel and berate them for being sooo f'n stupid.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the first things they teach you in the recovery part of an AST1 is NOT to put yourself in danger. So if I think the area is still unsafe, then they're on their own. If it's obviously safe I'll definately go and help. As far as stopping and telling peeps they're doing something stupid that they shouldn't be.....fawk 'em! I'm done with that after way too much verbal abuse, and in this day and age there's no reason they shouldn't know better without having to hear it from me.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would help if I new someone was buried, but our group has left any area many times when people are riding on sketchy slopes...if you're not there, you're not going to know someone is buried.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I would help if the area was safe, if there was another strong possibility of a slide we would approach it differently. I have ridden up to several people and chatted avy risks and if presented respectfully most have been very receptive. Better to try and be told to F@#K OFF then not at all I think .... least I know I tried.

Top Bottom