what to look for?

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok so i'm truck shopping, looking at a '02 dodge 2500 and when i go look at it, what are some of the things i wanna look out for, like the air filter sucked up and plugged up, what else?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let it warm up, then pull the oil filler cap and place it upside down back over the hole, this will tell you how much blowby it could have if it pushes the cap off the hole,.. just make sure it's not the vibration doing it.

Check for possible front or rear crankshaft seal leaks.

You will also want to check the steering for play as well and if you are able, check the ball joints, check front axle shafts with test drive and putting it into 4wd.

If it's an auto, smell the oil on the dipstick to see if it smells burnt or is dark brown. Grab the side of the box and shake the truck back and forth to see if anything is loose.

Ask what has been done to the front end work, maintenance, etc. Not sure what else, but I know there is more to list.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id look for good service history if its been serviced at the right km as it says in the book.

h.karst

Reaction score
If you can't find me check your moms house
crazy_wheeler - Nice call on them chevy products!

Whenever i look at any vehicle, i always check the following....

Service/maintenance records - done at the right time/kilometers
Check on the internet for any recalls for that year/make
Can usually see if the vehicle was well taken care of by checkin under the wheel wells and under hood for rust/excessive dirt. Any unusual clicking or noises in engine/tranny/diffs Also check underneath to see rust and see if hes got underspray. People who actually care for their vehicle will take care of these kinds of things - (the small things)
No expert - but you can usually tell just by the type of person the guy is whether the vehicle was taken care of or not.

Good luck! :beer:

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go underneath with a kreeper and look where the dirt is. if its on top of the tranny, frame rails, wedged into funny spots think twice......

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
these days i'd be lifting the floor carpet(covering) for signs of rust lots of vehicles showing up from southern states flood areas.

Top Bottom