What to BUY

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
post-188-1240928689-1.jpg

polariswade

Reaction score
i really liked my rhino before it was stolen last aug. it was a good little family wagon with the cage and seat in the rear. BUT, i had 1700kms and it was starting to tater. axle, reverse gear, wet clutch. i drive hard and like performance. i spent thousands on mods trying to get more power, and it didnt ever get to my liking. it was a sport model. the ride was very, very smooth wailing down the trail, though it was 63" wide u had to be a little careful where ur tires were. it was very comfortable seating, though i only stand 6'1. the best bang for my buck for mods was a clutch sheave. what a difference, especially in reverse. If you service it, keep rad clean and ride within reason it will last a long time. the mods are endless for these machines. probably twice as much as any other rig. don't put any lighter winch than an rt40 on it.

i have never ridin with a terex but they are built stronger, more power and torque, but probably give a bunch of that up to the 200lbs extra they weigh.?. in talking to sales guys, and the mechanics, cowie has fixed most of their earlier bugs. but i dont know from experience...

the rzr is a beautiful machine. it out performed me hands down in every aspect. a lot lighter machine. quick and nimble. i would have one, but i have three kids and does not fit my needs.

now for the flaming. i now own an 800xp ranger. i love this machine. i hunt, fish and rec quad. with the seat in the back it fits all 5 of us. power steering is awesome compared to the rhino. more power. feels way more light on it's feet than the rhino.(rhino always seemed to be laboring). and it passed the biggest test of all. my buddy is a bastard critic of everything, doesnt matter what the hell it's about, and after a day of hunting out west his words to me was,"this thing impressed the sh*t outta me today".
its big and clunky looking, but after the snow is gone it's gonna get wider and louder.
i would never go back to a rhino... but that's just me.

good luck on ur quest...

wade

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your not looking for power buy a rhino. Rhino = no power no mater what you do. If your looking for power buy a teryx for $800.00 more you can have 90hp easy.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Rhino's gutless too, but plodding down the trails in low range with the kids is what I bought it for, so I can live with it.
I didn't think the smoking 20 HP they make at the wheels would be enough to bust a shaft?

It spills my beer....I know that...hehehe.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both are great machines, one thing to think about is service.
In the Rocky area your best service will be Gateway sevice so i would think about the Teryx, it also has more power (but some have problems burning out the drive belt on these) i think most of this is driver error however.
Rainy Creek Powersports in Eckville are also very good to deal with and are fast & fair in service, if you consider a Polaris.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both are great machines, one thing to think about is service.
In the Rocky area your best service will be Gateway sevice so i would think about the Teryx, it also has more power (but some have problems burning out the drive belt on these) i think most of this is driver error however.
Rainy Creek Powersports in Eckville are also very good to deal with and are fast & fair in service, if you consider a Polaris.

Belt issues????? If the dealers knew how to do a proper PDI they wouldnt have these issue. Mine was out from new also but i installed a clutch kit right away and took a couple shims out and tighened my belt right up. 1900km and no issues.

hammerbike

Reaction score
Well I gotta "wade in here" too! I bought a new 2008 Prowler XTX700EFI in Aug/2009 and I have approx 1800 kms on it already. I have done some customizing and added some extras, but with the exception of a snorkel kit, the power train is all stock. This is a fantastic machine for me! Lots of bottom end power and very good top speed (100 kph), fantastic suspension for trail or high speed, great ground clearance and lots of room ergonomically. The only comparison I have is to a Rhino with an aftermarket pipe and ignition box, it was embarrassing! I kicked that Rhinos a** on the top end by 20+ kph and I smoked him on the bottom end too! Remember, my Prowler is all STOCK!
I also plow snow with my Prowler and it works great at that too. It really does it all for me. The Teryx I know nothing about, there are none in my area...so far!
Parked next to my Prowler the Rhino looks like a kids unit! At 6'1" and 250 lbs, the Prowler gives me lots of room, I am totally satisfied with my purchase! :d
IMHO, the Rhino is too small (ergonomically) and too gutless to be considered.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/hammerbike/08 AC Prowler 700/100_2476.jpg?t=1265562421

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say the another option should definitely be the Cat Prowler 1000. Lots of power to spare.

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And thus the war wages on and on. The REALLY SMART THING TO DO IS BUY NOTHING:d!!!!! SAVE YOUR MONEY:).....:rolleyes:but that would be no fun!!!:cool:

hammerbike

Reaction score
This will solve your dilema.:d
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwPpanO-N8A:[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMMNODWbLpQ[/media]
Comparing modded units is really of no value.
The video clearly shows the guy using the "ramp" of the driveway, along with some well timed "brake stabbing" to assist in the launch, add to that stiffening the front suspension and softening the rear, well, let's just leave it at that.
When someone stops in the middle of a clean , level spot, just hammers it and yanks the front end, in an all stock machine, then I'll be impressed and I don't care what brand it is.
Of course, this is JMHO.

bigguy

Reaction score
Thks for all the replies. Have decided on a teryx, but for now am going to wait to make the purchase. Will let you know when we make the purchase, do not want to trade anything in as I feel like I pay good money,then have to give it away on a trade. never have to many toys!

Top Bottom