what tek vest is best for mt. ridding

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I'm looking to buy a tel vest.
I want good side protection as well chest but I don't want the bulk that comes with lots of vests ....
I ride 4 days a week so comfort is very important

Anyone have a vest they really like/ recommend.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want good side protection as well chest but I don't want the bulk that comes with lots of vests ....

Look at MotoX roost protection, as they seem to have the least bulk compared to sledding vests. I have a Demon Vest, which has decent padding and a full hard plastic spine protector. I don't wear this anymore though, as I've lost a bunch of weight, and it is too big now. Also, don't really need the spine protection when I'm always wearing a pack on my back. I'm looking at the EVS ballistic jersey for full upper body protection. Minimal bulk with good protection.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We all ride with the freestyle Tek Vest brand vests from our 8 year old up to my Mom who is over 60. The thing I like about these is it goes from snow to dirt you can wear it over your jacket or under. It fits the girl parts and is good for the guys too.

Really it all comes down to personal preference and what fits you best the main thing though is to get something. I really didn't see the need for them until the ONE time I put myself into the handle bars and literally saw stars. That very night I went back to the hotel room and ordered one, this is before we became dealers. I am a very firm believer in Tek Vests now. Everyone in our group rides with them ALWAYS!!!

I do have some in stock as well!!

Jan

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a tec vest, pretty much sits in the basement way to bulky way to hot, have a fox titan body protection that is ventilated spine, shoulder, elbow, chest and forearm protection. the mx bike sites rate them at the top of the list, get the next size larger as they are tight. the tec vests are way over priced in my opinion, and way to bulky.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a tec vest, pretty much sits in the basement way to bulky way to hot, have a fox titan body protection that is ventilated spine, shoulder, elbow, chest and forearm protection. the mx bike sites rate them at the top of the list, get the next size larger as they are tight. the tec vests are way over priced in my opinion, and way to bulky.
Did you order that online? If not, where did you get it?

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I bought my son the 15l snowpulse which has a veest included with the avy bag so u get 2 in 1 and ive riden trees a few times and I can't see why u would need side protection

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my son the 15l snowpulse which has a veest included with the avy bag so u get 2 in 1 and ive riden trees a few times and I can't see why u would need side protection

hmmm not sure what the numbers are but i would bet that you will get jabbed in the side or slam a tree eventually then maybe you will see the reason why. or maybe if ya experience an avalanche or two. or have a sled follow you down a chute.

ask yerself why you need an avi bag?

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Last ride of last season,hit handlbars(and broke them with my ribs). 5 hours in emergency. Sled weekend over. Month off work and slept in a chair for three. Ribs and sternum cracked becauce I lent my tekvest to the guy I was riding with...That's why you need side protection.

Last edited:

Chunk

Reaction score
I've got a klim one that sits in the trailer. Hate them, will take my chances with out one

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a klim one that sits in the trailer. Hate them, will take my chances with out one

teac vest? u find them bulky and really hot under a coat. i know i felt like the goodyear blimp guy, couldn't move.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cracked a rib yesterday.... I was whipping up off a lip, and my sled didn't come right around I bailed and the sled went end for end stopping abruptly on my left side. After that I see a point in a vest that also covers my sides.

I can't afford to be hurt so bad I can't ride ... Lucky for me this only hurts. Not like a busted leg or something.

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
done the broken ribs and went to a tek vest years ago. saved me plenty of times. the vest and transcievers have the damage to prove it. they are bulky and a little hot, but just wear less. the vest and long sleeve t shirt are enough under my jacket. have considered something smaller, but the moto ones are for roost. for me the tek vest is proven. tight might be annoying as well. the tek vest is loose and very comfy. wouldn't ride without it. question is, why does anyone who wears one have to learn the hard way.

Blecter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear an older TekVest SX Pro Lite (the flashy orange racing one). I wear it whenever I ride, even though it is a size too big for me. Feels bulky for the first 30 seconds, but once I get my shell and avy bag on I'm comfortable quickly. With TekVests you've really got to look at what you wear to keep temperatures down. Just to give you an idea of how I keep temps down here is what I wear: non-insulated waterproof boots (8" ankle) with waterproof non-insulated Neos over top, a light pair of thermal underwear on the legs, then my snowpants, a t-shirt, the TekVest then my shell (non-insulated), with a neck cover. This is my perfect setup for riding hard. Now and then I'll have to unzip my jacket a couple inches, but that's pretty rare. If there is a long trail ride in (say the ride into Renshaw in McBride) I'll throw on a hoodie too, but then take it off once we hit the cabin.

So all in all, I recommend getting a TekVest (or similar Klim/etc.) and layering properly to regulate heat. The vests do work. I've saved a couple ribs with mine, and I rode with a guy last year who would have saved a couple of his ribs from breaking if he had a vest on. Be careful too when comparing Motocross roost guards to TekVest. They are not the same thing and do not serve the same function. If you do a search on the two there are countless topics all over the internet concerning both.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had a long time to learn a few things, some the easy way, some the hard way. and lately the easyway is usually just easier.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear an older TekVest SX Pro Lite (the flashy orange racing one). I wear it whenever I ride, even though it is a size too big for me. Feels bulky for the first 30 seconds, but once I get my shell and avy bag on I'm comfortable quickly. With TekVests you've really got to look at what you wear to keep temperatures down. Just to give you an idea of how I keep temps down here is what I wear: non-insulated waterproof boots (8" ankle) with waterproof non-insulated Neos over top, a light pair of thermal underwear on the legs, then my snowpants, a t-shirt, the TekVest then my shell (non-insulated), with a neck cover. This is my perfect setup for riding hard. Now and then I'll have to unzip my jacket a couple inches, but that's pretty rare. If there is a long trail ride in (say the ride into Renshaw in McBride) I'll throw on a hoodie too, but then take it off once we hit the cabin.

So all in all, I recommend getting a TekVest (or similar Klim/etc.) and layering properly to regulate heat. The vests do work. I've saved a couple ribs with mine, and I rode with a guy last year who would have saved a couple of his ribs from breaking if he had a vest on. Be careful too when comparing Motocross roost guards to TekVest. They are not the same thing and do not serve the same function. If you do a search on the two there are countless topics all over the internet concerning both.

wouldn't say the tekvests don't work, but if they are uncomfortable and you leave em in the trailer, i'd guess it may not work that well. the full body protection does work, is way lighter and has full protective plates in chest, spine, kidney belts, shoulder, elbow and forearm, last time i looked tekvest was sorely lacking a few, thus in my opinion a poor second choice. and they also don't work that well in the summer as far as i can determine, could be a real beotchhaving to wring the muck out at every mud hole.

the teckvest is good protection, but there is better.

superduty 348

Reaction score
Last ride of last season,hit handlbars(and broke them with my ribs). 5 hours in emergency. Sled weekend over. Month off work and slept in a chair for three. Ribs and sternum cracked becauce I lent my tekvest to the guy I was riding with...That's why you need side protection.

I did the same thing , I won't ride with out it,I have the KLIM tekvest. Its comfortable with no restrictions

Blecter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wouldn't say the tekvests don't work, but if they are uncomfortable and you leave em in the trailer, i'd guess it may not work that well. the full body protection does work, is way lighter and has full protective plates in chest, spine, kidney belts, shoulder, elbow and forearm, last time i looked tekvest was sorely lacking a few, thus in my opinion a poor second choice. and they also don't work that well in the summer as far as i can determine, could be a real beotchhaving to wring the muck out at every mud hole.

the teckvest is good protection, but there is better.

Yep, I agree that you can put together a better protection package overall too. When I mentioned roost guards I meant the ones that are just built to protect you from flying rocks and do not offer protection from impacts. I've read of a lot of guys who think they offer the same protection then learn the hard way.

I also use my vest in the summer. I've soaked it out playing on the quads back home and never noticed any significant difference when riding. It's also come in handy a couple times I've biffed it on quad. Works the exact same as it does in the winter.

For those that are wondering, this is the TekVest I wear, the TekVest SX Pro Lite. Very comfortable, and I highly recommend it.

Top Bottom