What Sled was the Biggest Gamechanger in History?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you remember the aluminum skis? They were actually not as popular than the plastic skis that were being developed back in the day.

I only remember steel and then went to the aluminum frame with plastic body .
Eklom from Vernon or Penticton ? Built skis , tunnels and such .
Lund ?
Spelling doesn’t look correct . Lol
Yeh remember putting pipeline tape on steel ski bottoms so spring snow wouldn’t stick .
Even all the sled belly pans were steel back when . Had a Polaris Colt 250 free air and all steel with steel cleats and belting for track .

e0a6be2e0798877aafb0f98a82e32e1a.jpg

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lund ?
Yeh remember putting pipeline tape on steel ski bottoms so spring snow wouldn’t stick .
Even all the sled belly pans were steel back when . Had a Polaris Colt 250 free air and all steel with steel cleats and belting for track .

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210220/e0a6be2e0798877aafb0f98a82e32e1a.jpg

Your correct, its spells Ekholm and not Eklom like i did.
They were out of Summerland and then the old man moved his shop to the Vernon/Lumby area and only did custom orders.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your correct, its spells Ekholm and not Eklom like i did.
They were out of Summerland and then the old man moved his shop to the Vernon/Lumby area and only did custom orders.

Haha
I never seen your spelling and was commenting on my spelling so I guess we thought the same .

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lund ?

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210220/e0a6be2e0798877aafb0f98a82e32e1a.jpg

Polaris made aluminum skis, they were mainly for racing.
The vmax had aluminum with skins on them, I think it was the Vmax 4 actually.
Ekholme, USI, SLP were the the skis I remember. I has a set of SLP skis on my Polaris.
Lund Is right, I forgot about the doo skis. I think they were the first to come with a true lightweight ski from the factory.

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuel injection. My brother builds old sleds for fun. He has like 9 right now of all brands. Went for a ditch bang last week. I was grateful for new technology when he pulled his SS440 5 times and had to play with the carb etc. But he let me ride it and it brought back lots of memories. Drift machine, actually pretty fast on the road too.
8ed1ef76fe15e843c145d4a7836cf35d.jpg

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A milestone for BRP was in 1994 with the first for the company, Bombardier, a mountain specific sled.
For Bombardier it was a huge step as they never really meddled with the western style snowmobiling and most Ski-Doos of the time were modified to fit.
The 1994 Summit model came with a 470 rotary valve and was amazingly the first for Bomb all aluminum chassis. Plastic skis and 136" lug track and up to date trailing arm front suspension that could compete with Polaris and Yamaha. Though Cat A-arms out dated all of them in that respect and did for over 10yrs.
After that first 94 Summit the stage was set for what we see today in the BRP summit line, how thing have changed.

bcjeepr

Reaction score
Would be neat to see a retro 94 Mach 1 skin, on the new 2022 Mach . always liked the look of my old one .

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those that are saying the 03 rev was a game changer I would have to disagree. My dad had the 03 rev and did the baker tunnel 156 “ tunnel conversion and Ralph’s porting. I had a twin piped , Ralph’s case ported twin pipe 156” that would destroy the rev. Every 4 years there is game changer in the sled industry and we are lucky that manufacturers keep pushing and improving.

Attachments

• A829E847-7019-4CCF-A5C3-CD4AD057BF5D.jpg
    A829E847-7019-4CCF-A5C3-CD4AD057BF5D.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 219

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those that are saying the 03 rev was a game changer I would have to disagree. My dad had the 03 rev and did the baker tunnel 156 “ tunnel conversion and Ralph’s porting. I had a twin piped , Ralph’s case ported twin pipe 156” that would destroy the rev. Every 4 years there is game changer in the sled industry and we are lucky that manufacturers keep pushing and improving.
I think the reason I picked the Rev was because of the radical look and forward riding design that evolved out of it. When other manufacturers change how the rider rides on a sled because the competition forced them to then its a game changer. A lot of laughing about the forward riding position back then but who's laughing now? Cat and Polaris are all forward riding now.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the reason I picked the Rev was because of the radical look and forward riding design that evolved out of it. When other manufacturers change how the rider rides on a sled because the competition forced them to then its a game changer. A lot of laughing about the forward riding position back then but who's laughing now? Cat and Polaris are all forward riding now.

So...you’re agreeing that BRP copied/stole from F.A.S.T. ?

And BRP was last to the table with EFI..

Last edited:

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• DE5CAA30-113A-4BC8-A14B-DAA0F0778A6E.jpeg
    DE5CAA30-113A-4BC8-A14B-DAA0F0778A6E.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 174

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wasnt the SDI a poke at EFI ? Even if it wasnt, they have the best EFI system now hands down.

Yamaha has had direct injected 2S outboards for over 15 years...

The current Yamaha system is still the snowmobile industry leader in power and performance (and I’m not even a Yamaha guy)

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think its fair to say that the Blade from FAST brought to the industry a new concept in snowmobiling but at a price not suitable for the general public.
While BRP used that concept, refined it into an affordable package and marketed it in that respect.
The 2003 Rev was only a short tailed trail sled and while testing the waters the Summit line remained in the ZX chassis. The radical design worked, FAST proved it and BRP made it consumer competible, they loved it.
Any of the other manufactures could of done the same but it was BRP that had the balls to bring it to market for the general public and that alone changed the whole industry.
Again hats off to the custom builders, if it was not for them the current sleds would be very different today and thanks to all 4 manufactures for making it an affordable option over a custom built.

Though personally i'm a custom guy, cookie cutters don't cut it for me. But non custom owners have great copies of custom builds now and money left in their pocket.

Last edited:
Top Bottom