What Sled was the Biggest Gamechanger in History?

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2005_Ski-Doo_SummitHighmark_1000SDI.jpg
2006_Polaris_RMK_900159.jpg
these were the innovations that made us wonder how could engineers screw up this much.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't forget SkiDoo Stratos and Escapade and Polaris Dragon. lol
dragons. man those were hit and miss. guy from lethbridge part owner of eldorado rv has one with over 8000 kms on it. was the twin to my 08. i did the piston update on it in 2010 and hasn't been touched since. others couldn't make it 3k down the trail.
appropriately named though. beginning of the day you would ride them in to the hills. end of the day you were dragon them out.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dragons. man those were hit and miss. guy from lethbridge part owner of eldorado rv has one with over 8000 kms on it. was the twin to my 08. i did the piston update on it in 2010 and hasn't been touched since. others couldn't make it 3k down the trail.
appropriately named though. beginning of the day you would ride them in to the hills. end of the day you were dragon them out.

Six motors in mine! First one 1460km and the sixth one went in at 1690km. It never made it out of cycle works once

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As much as others hated the 1000rt summitx, i had 8000kms on mine.... Engine was replaced in the first year i had it, then never touched after that. Torque monster!!!

My ol man has the 06 MXZ 1000 pretty much same motor i think as the RT, i told him stay away but he bought it anyways. Last year on the lake we did stop to full pin and a rolling at 60 to pinned race and both times that 1000 Ate my xm800 like nothing. Old man is 60+ and i haven't seen that chit grin in a long time. He smoked me by lots...Torque monster is Right!!! Them machines are a beast.

My Fav gamechanger sled was when the 08XP came out....oh chit i wanted one sooo bad, loved everything about them...until i owned one. what a piece of poop haha

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
07 Summits were the same. Had 1 customer go through 3 motors in first year where as others rode them forever? I don't think Rotax ever figured out if it was a serial number run or why some seized the bottom ends and some doidn't?

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just realized I had a 38 in ski stance in 2005. Everybody had more or the same until 2016.

Last edited:

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As much as others hated the 1000rt summitx, i had 8000kms on mine.... Engine was replaced in the first year i had it, then never touched after that. Torque monster!!!

I know the one I owned went through two engines and another friend 3 on the rt. The dragons though good buddy took out 5 the other guy took out 4.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you remember the aluminum skis? They were actually not as popular than the plastic skis that were being developed back in the day.

Yes i do, i had aluminum skis on my 76 Rupp and going by memory but i think my Ski-Roule had aluminum skis also.
Then in the 80's the after market guys were making ski skins, you could now actually take off with out getting stuck. You see steel skis had a bad habit of sticking to the snow once you stopped because of friction from sliding on the snow.
Then the after market took it a step further and made a plastic ski with aluminum saddle mounts and back bone for strength. Anyone remember Ekolm? They were one of the pioneers in plastic skis, late 80's, early 90's. I had a few of their products.
I'm not 100% on this but i believe one of the first OEM to bring on plastic skis on a production unit was BRP with their very first true too them mountain sled. The 1994 470 Summit.

Top Bottom