what is the best source of ignition to carry in back country

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a full time job keeping the fire going. Use up a lot of energy going for wood in waist deep powder. I don't think one guy could keep up.
And that is one of the reasons we carry snowshoes as well. Use a lot less energy that way.

*Esox*

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1450409354.123053.jpg

I usually have a couple of Bic lighters in my gear, wrapped in a couple of 1" wide pieces of inner tube. Although a Bic has a low flame temp it lights the rubber with ease when buried in tinder.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Them waterproof matches suck. Bought a new package and for curiosity I tried to light some up. Results weren't so good . Better luck with a lighter. If you can't haul lumber for your fire than I guess your best bet is park your sled under a tree and let it burn. All them ideas are excellent . But am very curious about the highway flare. It's one thing I will try very soon. Thanks for the ideas.

Last edited:

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cut the top off your refreshment can or juice box and fill with gas. Put it under your wood and dip a stick in the gas. Light the stick and then use that to light the can. This will burn a long time and No it won't explode
WE call this the newfie fire, only because I was introduced to this by one in hunting camp. works 100% of the time even with wet wood.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Them waterproof matches suck. Bought a new package and for curiosity I tried to light some up. Results weren't so good . Better luck with a lighter. If you can't haul lumber for your fire than I guess your best bet is park your sled under a tree and let it burn. All them ideas are excellent . But am very curious about the highway flare. It's one thing I will try very soon. Thanks for the ideas.
We use highway flares for igniting fireworks burns hot burns constant but of course only burns for a set amount of time. If you choose to go this route I would buy the longest rated duration ones you can find. For your test though you may want a shorter one :)

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cut the top off your refreshment can or juice box and fill with gas. Put it under your wood and dip a stick in the gas. Light the stick and then use that to light the can. This will burn a long time and No it won't explode

A friend of mine showed me this one, works very well.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry one of these been in my sled for years lights every time there called a match lighter.(Ihope the image came thru)www.bidorbuy.co.za

Last edited:

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Here in itself is where the problems start. Lets say your lighter is wet, matches dont work, etc,

Time to think! You have a sled. Gas in sled, battery for starting (some models), wiring. SPARK plugs.

Stay calm and think!

Tear some foam from seat, add small amount of gas, ignite with spark plug (carry extra plug on doo;s as they are a pain to get out). You can also get wiring from heated grips (cut out, tear away and strip off insulation). Use battery to make a spark to ignite foam and gas.

Steel wool and a battery makes a quick ignition source also. There are many things on that sled to use, Exhaust side panel first for winbreaks or roof off snow cave, oil in sled,etc.

Cut side panels and use wiring to attach to your feet and make a pair of snowshoes!

Remeber, if you are doing this, you are in a survival situation and not caring about riding.

Sleds are a replaceable item! You are not.

Adapt to the situation, staying calm sounds easy but is not that easy.

Watched a few folks freak out on our survival courses. Loneliness and negative thoughts got to them.

Safe sledding all!

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had this conversation on another thread and so I made a video about how easy it is to start a cotton ball (dryer lint/tampon/rag/whatever) soaked in fuel, with only a flint stick. It literally is this easy - if you don't believe me please try it. I did it twice just to show it wasn't a fluke, this is 1 cotton ball with a little bit of mixed fuel on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWeKd1yv374

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with B north a few lighters in different pockets and on your sled go's along way when the sh!t hits the fan. I also got my badge for starting a camp fires with one match in cub scouts. Even in the worst conditions there is a abundance of dry moss etc. I don't have a problem with the Indian in a can/bag solutions though. The most important thing in almost all survival situations particularly when you know that there will be searcher's is fire then get smoke up.

clifford the big red dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks boys got a flint and steel fire starter picked up a highway flare and enjoyed the conversation with you dudes survival is important, seen two young gentlemen with new pros heading for the mountains asked them what they had for survival gear and they looked at me liked had two heads, so I spent about ten minutes telling them Travis's sad story don't know if it did any good

Top Bottom