what is the best source of ignition to carry in back country

clifford the big red dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always care a lighter and weather proof matches, not sure if this is enough as matches are hard to start and that 1.59 lighter could not work when cold or wet. What's everyone going to use in an a fail situation when your in the back country cold wet and you need a fire. I have been looking I my survival pack looks like my weak part of the pack

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a jet lighter and also the flint setup. Both work well. I don't like matches or regular lighters. Also carry tampons. You can dip them in your fuel tank and start them on fire with tinder. Lots of great ideas out there.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry matches and a lighter for convenience, and two different style flint strikers with wax based tinder for reliability....but by far the best in an emergency in my opinion is the highway emergency flare I carry. If you can't light a fire with that thing.....well buckle in for a cold night. They don't smell very good though.

Last edited:

clifford the big red dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was reading the survival thread and everyone has really go ideas what to start the fire with, dryer lint, tampons and gas but If the source won't light I will try the highway flare and even the lighter from cabala,s thanks boys Remember I will be cold, wet and maybe hurt .

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its life or death think about burning your sled, maybe start a lil forest fire if you can.

DSCN2207.jpg

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We found that cotton balls soaked in Vaseline burned way longer than a tampon soaked in gas.

How do you carry the Vaseline soaked cotton balls?? Man that would be a mess if it ever got away on ya! In my pack or sled I'd have that Sh*t everywhere..

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you carry the Vaseline soaked cotton balls?? Man that would be a mess if it ever got away on ya! In my pack or sled I'd have that Sh*t everywhere..

35mm film containers work well. Hard to find in this digital camera age though. Prescription pill containers maybe?

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the days before muff pots we always started a fire at lunch for smokies. A guy would be surprised how much wood you need for a weiner roast never mind having a fire go all night. It's a full time job keeping the fire going. Use up a lot of energy going for wood in waist deep powder. I don't think one guy could keep up.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Vaseline in a sealed container. Dry cotton balls in a zip lock bag.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the days before muff pots we always started a fire at lunch for smokies. A guy would be surprised how much wood you need for a weiner roast never mind having a fire go all night. It's a full time job keeping the fire going. Use up a lot of energy going for wood in waist deep powder. I don't think one guy could keep up.
Just take Bogger along he cuts trees down with his sled faster than a chainsaw.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Isn't that the truth!! Never mind if you're hurt.

Top Bottom