What Drives you nuts about Vendors (No Name Bashing)

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don`t think that normally a dealer would touch this subject with a 10 foot pole. However, as a dealer and a comsumer. I am going to respond to this. As it not only deserves an answer but is a legit and good question. As a 25 year salesguy in this industry I have seen a few things over the years. We have seen the "flash in the pan" dealers that pee in the pool and then close thier doors. We have seen the "old time" dealers that have been in this for the long haul and appreciate thier customers. I have had longtime customers come in to see me and say have you seen this ad? These guys are $1000 cheaper than you. The dealers all pay the same for thier machines unless they made a special purchase from the manufacturer. Digging into the $1000 less dealer`s price you discover a few things. For example...A machine that comes with a winch is $675.00 extra for the winch. Mount kit $225.00 everything is extra. The advertised price grabs your attention, the walk out price makes you want to make a stop for preparation H. I don`t like this method and I know you don`t. It is all smoke and mirrors. As to the freight/pre-delivery inspection and documentation fees. They are real. The dealer does not get paid to install winches. They pay fuel surcharges, they pay to dispose of crate material as well as wages. Even the manufacturer is charging the dealer freight. I would rather quote 1 price "all in". I believe this is your concern. I don`t blame you one bit. I buy units too. The dealers, "flash in the pan" guys started this a few years back. As the consumer looks at the advertised prices, not the fine print. They go only to find all is not as it seems. When someone calls me, or sees our ads. We try to be as clear as possible. When I quote you on the phone I tell you up front exactly what the all in price will be. When we run an ad, we clearly let you know about everything. No surprises. So, in a nut shell we have be forced to follow the trend set by some. But, we are up front and clear about it. No extra B.S. I hope this helps. I felt working for a dealer that you did deserve a fair and honest answer to your question.

All the best, Greg Symbaluk Riverside Yamaha-Suzuki

Excellant Job Greg, I think you have a very valid point there is always something to be said about a company which started small, grew into a big company and still has alot of the origanal sales people maybe I should start a thread about what we like about dealers also

RIVERSIDE YAMAHA

Reaction score
Website
www.rideriverside.com
Like any industry there is good and bad. Not being a commision sales person and now dealing with 3rd generation families after 25 years. I have learned that if you treat people the way you want to be treated, they come back. Treat them poorly and they will never come back. In this day and economic slump we are in, dealers that do not go the extra mile, will not survive long. Do we appreciate your business? Damn right we do. You are the reason we have a job. There is no better feeling than working at my desk and having a steady line of people walking by saying hi Greg, Merry Christmas. In 25 years I have made some great friends in our customers. In 25 years I still love my job. Dealers need to go the extra mile. It`s NOT just price, it`s a feeling of shopping somewhere you feel welcome and appreciated. Where the staff get off thier @#$ and say hello. People can shop anywhere they have many choices. They want to "belong" to a dealership and feel welcome. No dealer is perfect, us included. It`s in how you deal with people and the respect you show them. If we have made a mistake or done something wrong. Hey, we are human too. It`s in making it right and taking the time to address the situation so we can learn and improve. This is like working in Santa`s work shop. It is a fun industry (all toys). It should be just as much fun for our customers. It`s a treat to get a new toy!
All the best. Greg Symbaluk. Riverside Yamaha-Suzuki

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is good to hear, but i've never seen a dealership salesmen act like that. It would sure be a nice change. Everytime me or a buddy buys something it just ends up that we'll never go back. I mean, my buddy just bought a new dragon from cycle works west, they wouldn't even fill up the gas tank for him. Said take it or leave it, didn't care. Just acted like if you don't want it whatever. No different then 3 years ago when he bought 2 new doo's from riverside.

It would sure be nice if your dealer is different, but I can tell you vehicle dealers still don't care. My bro is trying to by a truck right now, he was told "are you going to buy it or not?" Even though they didn't even have the truck he wanted on the lot. He was trying to make an offer on the truck was told he had to do it in writing.

BS like that pisses me off and the whole salesmen thing, will phone you 10x a day until you sign the papers once that is done, it's who are you?!?! Heck when I bought my 40 grand truck the jack was missing, couldn't even give me a simple phone call when it came in, you'd think that's the LEAST you could do for someone who just gave you a bunch of comission?

I have had terrible experiences with dealers. And it will say it's made me very bitter anytime I deal with something like that again.

RIVERSIDE YAMAHA

Reaction score
Website
www.rideriverside.com
That is good to hear, but i've never seen a dealership salesmen act like that. It would sure be a nice change. Everytime me or a buddy buys something it just ends up that we'll never go back. I mean, my buddy just bought a new dragon from cycle works west, they wouldn't even fill up the gas tank for him. Said take it or leave it, didn't care. Just acted like if you don't want it whatever. No different then 3 years ago when he bought 2 new doo's from riverside.

It would sure be nice if your dealer is different, but I can tell you vehicle dealers still don't care. My bro is trying to by a truck right now, he was told "are you going to buy it or not?" Even though they didn't even have the truck he wanted on the lot. He was trying to make an offer on the truck was told he had to do it in writing.

BS like that pisses me off and the whole salesmen thing, will phone you 10x a day until you sign the papers once that is done, it's who are you?!?! Heck when I bought my 40 grand truck the jack was missing, couldn't even give me a simple phone call when it came in, you'd think that's the LEAST you could do for someone who just gave you a bunch of comission?

I have had terrible experiences with dealers. And it will say it's made me very bitter anytime I deal with something like that again.

My point exactly. I have bought my last 3 trucks from the same salesman. Why? He remembered my name, did not mess me around, made me feel welcome and his price was right in the ballpark the 1st time around. Now I don`t shop around. I have decided he is my truck guy and I`ll keep going back. Everyone likes to have a contact when they are buying something. If you find a shop or salesperson that will bendover backwards and go that extra mile for you. Stick with them. There are not too many like that anymore.
Greg Symbaluk. Riverside Yamaha-Suzuki

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My point exactly. I have bought my last 3 trucks from the same salesman. Why? He remembered my name, did not mess me around, made me feel welcome and his price was right in the ballpark the 1st time around. Now I don`t shop around. I have decided he is my truck guy and I`ll keep going back. Everyone likes to have a contact when they are buying something. If you find a shop or salesperson that will bendover backwards and go that extra mile for you. Stick with them. There are not too many like that anymore.
Greg Symbaluk. Riverside Yamaha-Suzuki

I wish I could find one. Mine flat out lied to me before the sale was done, I was 18 and excited for a nice truck so didn't think a lot of it. I had to dicker around so much for price. I will never do it again. Anytime I want to buy something I say this is what I will pay take it or leave it. The sad part was my dad bought a new truck from him not 1 month before me. You'd think he'd clue in he might be in for lots of business if he treated people right. 2 1/2 years later my dads looking again and my bro is. Big loss for him!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I don`t think that normally a dealer would touch this subject with a 10 foot pole. However, as a dealer and a comsumer. I am going to respond to this. As it not only deserves an answer but is a legit and good question. As a 25 year salesguy in this industry I have seen a few things over the years. We have seen the "flash in the pan" dealers that pee in the pool and then close thier doors. We have seen the "old time" dealers that have been in this for the long haul and appreciate thier customers. I have had longtime customers come in to see me and say have you seen this ad? These guys are $1000 cheaper than you. The dealers all pay the same for thier machines unless they made a special purchase from the manufacturer. Digging into the $1000 less dealer`s price you discover a few things. For example...A machine that comes with a winch is $675.00 extra for the winch. Mount kit $225.00 everything is extra. The advertised price grabs your attention, the walk out price makes you want to make a stop for preparation H. I don`t like this method and I know you don`t. It is all smoke and mirrors. As to the freight/pre-delivery inspection and documentation fees. They are real. The dealer does not get paid to install winches. They pay fuel surcharges, they pay to dispose of crate material as well as wages. Even the manufacturer is charging the dealer freight. I would rather quote 1 price "all in". I believe this is your concern. I don`t blame you one bit. I buy units too. The dealers, "flash in the pan" guys started this a few years back. As the consumer looks at the advertised prices, not the fine print. They go only to find all is not as it seems. When someone calls me, or sees our ads. We try to be as clear as possible. When I quote you on the phone I tell you up front exactly what the all in price will be. When we run an ad, we clearly let you know about everything. No surprises. So, in a nut shell we have be forced to follow the trend set by some. But, we are up front and clear about it. No extra B.S. I hope this helps. I felt working for a dealer that you did deserve a fair and honest answer to your question.

All the best, Greg Symbaluk Riverside Yamaha-Suzuki

So rather than being a "smoke and mirrors" company why not be up front with the price why hide behind fine print? advertise the out the door price then if someone does shop around and when the the OTD price is higher they can say Riverside's OTD is this..... I will shop there because they have a bigger service dept much more parts in stock.....and because I'm a snow and mud member maybe they will give me 20% off ;)

I'm glad you say you will quote me the OTD price over the phone ......but why "follow" the trend?....lead it with with up front pricing.....everyone knows you will never win following

RIVERSIDE YAMAHA

Reaction score
Website
www.rideriverside.com
I wish I could find one. Mine flat out lied to me before the sale was done, I was 18 and excited for a nice truck so didn't think a lot of it. I had to dicker around so much for price. I will never do it again. Anytime I want to buy something I say this is what I will pay take it or leave it. The sad part was my dad bought a new truck from him not 1 month before me. You'd think he'd clue in he might be in for lots of business if he treated people right. 2 1/2 years later my dads looking again and my bro is. Big loss for him!
I don`t expect your salesperson to have a long career in sales. The other thing you might want to consider when finding a salesperson is if they are on commision or salary. Now, there are some awesome salespeople on commission and it would not be fair to lump everyone together. However, in my situation. Not being on commision has been a plus on so many levels. My customer does not feel any pressure to have to buy now. If they were treated right, they will come back. People tend to "over buy" they are surprised when you can save them a ton of money show them less expensive options. When I have a 16 year old motorcycle customer come in with his dad and decide on a 1000c.c. crotch rocket. I can try to sway them to something more suited to a beginner rider. Or flat out not sell them the 1000 c.c. We are here to sell product, but there a responsibility we have to make sure to do the right thing.
Greg Symbaluk Riverside Yamaha-Suzuki

Bandit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have found it has a lot to do with the salesperson you are dealing with. A bought a new diesel truck a few years ago, and took two days going to dealerships looking at trucks. I am a pretty easygoing person, but after leaving some of the dealerships, i wanted to punch someone - mostly the salesman. What an attitude some of these people have!

I ended up going to a dealer a little out of edmonton, and was pleasantly surprised to be treated like a person. Bought a nice shiney new dodge laramie, and went home. Good price, and I left not feeling like a got took. I even recommended him to a couple friends, both which bought trucks there.

That being said, I am now looking at getting a new truck, so I talked to the same dealer, but found the salesman I dealt with had left. Figured what the heck, talk to another salesman and see how it goes. Not too surprisingly, he was a complete jerk to me and I walked out.

So yeah, who you are dealing with makes all the difference in the world.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Thats when you ask to speak with the sales manager and ask him where the salesman ended up...he'll ask you why you need to know and you can tell him when he left he took his customers with him....

I have found it has a lot to do with the salesperson you are dealing with. A bought a new diesel truck a few years ago, and took two days going to dealerships looking at trucks. I am a pretty easygoing person, but after leaving some of the dealerships, i wanted to punch someone - mostly the salesman. What an attitude some of these people have!

I ended up going to a dealer a little out of edmonton, and was pleasantly surprised to be treated like a person. Bought a nice shiney new dodge laramie, and went home. Good price, and I left not feeling like a got took. I even recommended him to a couple friends, both which bought trucks there.

That being said, I am now looking at getting a new truck, so I talked to the same dealer, but found the salesman I dealt with had left. Figured what the heck, talk to another salesman and see how it goes. Not too surprisingly, he was a complete jerk to me and I walked out.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Smaller scale, but same principle....I followed an electronics salesman to three different retail outlets years ago when I was buying car stereos and home stereos and all that crap....just because he always remembered my name, and always treated me well. Find out where your truck salesman went...maybe he's at another Dodge dealer...give him a buzz.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smaller scale, but same principle....I followed an electronics salesman to three different retail outlets years ago when I was buying car stereos and home stereos and all that crap....just because he always remembered my name, and always treated me well. Find out where your truck salesman went...maybe he's at another Dodge dealer...give him a buzz.

If you find out where he went please let me know, my bro is looking at a new truck right now. Wants to buy in the next couple days, and great west didn't want the business.

I have given up on electronics and that stuff, I buy it all online. Crutchfield is so good to deal with. Or I order from the states, everytime I try to give the business local but I get treated like crap, so I go to the states and they are very greatful for the business.

The economy must be still to good, to many business still don't give a crap. I think most salesmen attitude is there is enough people in the city they don't ever need repeat customers.

I will say though for parts, Echo Cycle was GREAT when I had my cat last year. They took a $5 part off a used sled in the showroom to give to me so I could go riding that weekend. It lead to a lot more business from me last winter :beer: But funny thing is, the guy I was dealing with said "we don't have it" yet the guy I dealt with usually told him to go take it off the used sled they had.

Top Bottom