What Drives you nuts about Vendors (No Name Bashing)

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well for me it is when you call a guy to do some work for you and he says he can't do it this week cause he is going sledding (already pissed at him, lucky b@$t@rd gets to go sledding) he will call you next Tuesday when he gets back, You never hear from him so finally on Thursday you call him and leave him a message, the week later you leave him 2 more message and never hear back from the guy but you look on your favorite forum (see if you can guess what that is) you see him posting about his buisness. If you don't want the work just call me back and let me know, don't just leave me hangin. In my opinion not a great way to do buisness

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you leave messages and no one ever calls you back. Don't have an answering machine if you are not going to call back. I phoned 4 shops looking for tunnel info and Chad from CR is the only one who called back. Made my decision easy.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, and they wonder why online sales are taking much of their business.
I must put a shameless plug in for Dan at Extreme Machines though, he's always been good at returning calls, calling when stuffs in etc. I've also gotten stuff much cheaper than some of the onlineplaces like Royal etc.

kbxsrx

Reaction score
MOST dealers are good, but what bothered me about a lot of them is the snotty, arrogant, don't give a chit about you, "get in line and I will get to you when I feel like it attitude".

Some are great, helpful, cheery, looking to serve your needs. You know who they are, and you go back there. (insert shameless plug here for OJ!) :d

But, dealers sometimes get so big that they forget without customers the doors will close. It is not only or always the owner, sometimes it is the partsman or salesman that figures his chit doesn't stink, and they need a reminder sometimes.

Or, the revolving door for staff brings in people that just rotate in and out, from shop to shop, and the arrogance comes with them.

I for one when I walk into any business am obviously there for a reason, and appreciate the fact that this business has gone to extreme steps to be there. Some spend their entire life behind the desk, risk everything for their business,
and treat everyone that walks through the doors like they should be, with a smile and appreciation. (OJ):d

Some treat it like a shitty job, Dad/Mom/Husband/Wife makes them work there, in at 9 out at 5 grab what you want, pay and pha cough. :nono:

Popcan

Reaction score
Good customer service does seem to have gone out the window at most shops...I can't stand it when dealers act like they're doing you a favour by letting you spend money at their shop!

Richadge

Reaction score
Dealers that don't need your business!

A few years ago, I was shopping around for a quad and got some quotes. The best one's were from a couple of dealers in northeast Alberta. Since I live in Red Deer, I called the local dealer and they were higher than the other quotes, but I try to support local so I asked if they could match the price (not beat the price, just match).

Without discussion, the Red Deer salesman told me that I should go and buy it from the northeast dealers! So I did.

Then he had the nerve to tell me if I ever was interested in buying a sled (which I mentioned as I was shopping for the quad), to come and see him. I was quick to inform him that the dealer where I was going to buy the quad also sold sleds as well and that's where I would buy a sled also.

damtrees

Reaction score
called twice to see if they had the filters i need in stock both times said yes took time of work to go grab them showed up and oh sorry we didnt have them in stock and we may or may not have them in two weeks didnt even care but i ended up going some were else finding some guy that found some and got then overnighted to him and it still worked out cheaper then the first shop

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is more about the dealers than service guys, but what reeeeeally gets my goat is the gigantic advertised sale price that reads....
Now only $11,999.00*
Then they have the nerve to tell you PDI is another $500.00
Unless you're throwing the PDI in the price...don't advertise that price.
I don't see Harvey's charging me any extra to build my burger or Safeway any more to bag my groceries or a home builder sell a house for 400k then wanting an extra 100k because they put it all together.
So just stop it already...if you want $12,499.00 just say so:realmad:

PullThePin

Reaction score
We have the worst dealer. :confused::confused:My dealer does not carry the friggin spark plugs that are in the sleds they sell????????? WTF. 800 twin polaris takes the same plugs as almost all polaris sleds. NGK BPR9ES or Champion RN57YCC. They never have either. Notorious water pump belt.......None in stock. Lame, Lame, Lame. I was in there last year and he said nope, don't have none in stock. I looked at him and said well, just let me take the two out of this sled right here, or that sled right there or that sled right there. He gave me the most dumbfounded look ever:shrug:

I have to drive to Camrose and The Service manager there is the best. Always has them.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealers that have stupid prices. I got my boots from Sask from a small shop, shipped to me for about 20% less then local dealers wanted. I wonder how much they are making? MMM?

Or once a place has your money they don't care. I dropped almost $5 grand at a place on stuff for my truck, it's been almost 3 weeks and I still can't find out the ETA on everything, third time i've dropped a ton of coin with them, and they seem to get worse with each time. Won't happen again! I phoned about 4 local places for prices, most couldn't even return my call, or their price was DOUBLE what I am paying and quoted me a bunch of extra stuff I said I didn't want.

I hate when places say "you need this" etc when you tell them what you want. I can see suggesting it, but don't tell me I need it, I know what I need!

But atleast there is still some good places, one screwed up my shipping address, once they knew about it they cut the shipping price in half, AND the stuff still got to me on the quoted date! Plus on my next order they are giving me a bit of a break to.

There is lots of bad places out there, but still are some who will make sure your happy.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being in the Red Deer area I can honestly say, that if the only dealers I could use were the Red Deer dealers, I would have taken up knitting years ago. I AM going to name names.
"Purple Bros": the WORST. When I was surveying, I was incharge of buying new quads every spring. I went back to Turples 3 springs in a row trying to get them to MATCH a competitor's price, just to keep the business local. No dice. I've tryed to buy my personal sleds there (a few years ago...I don't even bother now) and they would not match.
"Parklake Sled": the second worst. At least in the old days Kelly worked behind the counter and you never had to deal with Doug and his semi-retarded son, Jerome.
"Uncle Kens": Gaawd. I tried dealing on a few RVs there over the years and it's painful. Tried to buy my 03 AC 900 there, but the salesman kept arguing with me that the 02 prototype sitting in the showroom was in fact the 03 sled. This was in March 02. Idiot.
"RD Powdershorts": used to be great when they were in the old building and Ron worked there. Now they seem to want to pay off that new building with every sale. Same deal...tried many times to spend there and just couldn't.

Edit: Where did I end up spending? For Doo, Canam, Honda: Trackside Sales in Olds. For AC: Checker'd Flag in Hanna. For Yam: Wetaskiwin (can't remember the name). For Polaris...well, I just quit buying Polaris.

Edit again: changed the names to protect the guilty.

Last edited:

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to add what bothers me is I have an 07 Rev and doing a rebuild with mostly stock parts and you would think that a dealer would carry parts at least for the last 3 years of sleds even 2 years would be nice eg. rings, gaskets ect. fairly common parts but no. And there was a lot more parts. "oh we will have to order that in" is what I get. If I order it and happen to get it some, somewhere else in the mean time then I am dinged with a stocking fee. Hey butt munch you should have it in stock anyway.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use an online fische to find part numbers(these have US prices). Take the part number and price to southside cat(and everything else) dealer. Tell parts guy what I want and the part number. Get bill and it says no returns as customer suppled part number. Next time I go, I just tell them the part, not the number. Parts guy brings wrong part twice, then I give him the part number so I get the right part, and he gets snotty!!! Ask about the 75% higher price than US price and all he says, go buy in the US. I tell him thats where my sled came from, cause it was a better deal.

I have started dealing with an out of town dealer, and a vendor on here. So far so good.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my biggest peeve is with the guys that dont return phone calls and when you do call them back they get snotty and say havent had time to look it up or you gave me the wrong info .... grow a set and own up to the fact you dont really care about customer srevice

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my biggest peeve is with the guys that dont return phone calls and when you do call them back they get snotty and say havent had time to look it up or you gave me the wrong info .... grow a set and own up to the fact you dont really care about customer srevice

For sure! When I was looking for the wife's quad last winter (just before spring) I was looking for a hold-over 08 400 Outlander. My dealer did not have one) I found a few ads for places out East with prices, but nothing in the west. I phoned 6 BRP dealerships in Alberta and at every one the salesperson was "unavailable...can I take your number and he'll call you back?" I got two calls back.....one a week later, one two weeks later. I laughed at both of them. Bought from Pines in PA, SK. The OWNER of Pines drove with the quad in the back of his truck and met me 1/2 way. For a holdover 08 with a VERY low price.

Addendum to my previous post about Red Deer dealers: I am looking for a snow blade. My dealer (Trackside in Olds) is out of them so I went into "Purple Brothers" Friday. Unfortunately I got to the showroom just as one of the lackys showed up with Tim Hortons coffee for the 4 people in that area. Again....I walked around hemming and hawwing...."cough, cough....COUGH!!!"....hellloooooooo? Out the door I went. What a sh!t-hole.

Apex162

Reaction score
That's why we need this economic down turn to smarten up these blood suckers:rant:

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate when a dealer or shop says yeah it will most likley be done ( you took something there) next week. You call them end of the next week, no we didn't get to it probly next week, same thing and 4 weeks later your sled/quad or whatever is done. Took sled and an electric start that we bought off ebay for it to a place for them to install it, the intructions said 3 hours work. got charged for about 6 hours of work!

RIVERSIDE YAMAHA

Reaction score
Website
www.rideriverside.com
I don`t think that normally a dealer would touch this subject with a 10 foot pole. However, as a dealer and a comsumer. I am going to respond to this. As it not only deserves an answer but is a legit and good question. As a 25 year salesguy in this industry I have seen a few things over the years. We have seen the "flash in the pan" dealers that pee in the pool and then close thier doors. We have seen the "old time" dealers that have been in this for the long haul and appreciate thier customers. I have had longtime customers come in to see me and say have you seen this ad? These guys are $1000 cheaper than you. The dealers all pay the same for thier machines unless they made a special purchase from the manufacturer. Digging into the $1000 less dealer`s price you discover a few things. For example...A machine that comes with a winch is $675.00 extra for the winch. Mount kit $225.00 everything is extra. The advertised price grabs your attention, the walk out price makes you want to make a stop for preparation H. I don`t like this method and I know you don`t. It is all smoke and mirrors. As to the freight/pre-delivery inspection and documentation fees. They are real. The dealer does not get paid to install winches. They pay fuel surcharges, they pay to dispose of crate material as well as wages. Even the manufacturer is charging the dealer freight. I would rather quote 1 price "all in". I believe this is your concern. I don`t blame you one bit. I buy units too. The dealers, "flash in the pan" guys started this a few years back. As the consumer looks at the advertised prices, not the fine print. They go only to find all is not as it seems. When someone calls me, or sees our ads. We try to be as clear as possible. When I quote you on the phone I tell you up front exactly what the all in price will be. When we run an ad, we clearly let you know about everything. No surprises. So, in a nut shell we have be forced to follow the trend set by some. But, we are up front and clear about it. No extra B.S. I hope this helps. I felt working for a dealer that you did deserve a fair and honest answer to your question.

All the best, Greg Symbaluk Riverside Yamaha-Suzuki

RIVERSIDE YAMAHA

Reaction score
Website
www.rideriverside.com
Ok, this is more about the dealers than service guys, but what reeeeeally gets my goat is the gigantic advertised sale price that reads....
Now only $11,999.00*
Then they have the nerve to tell you PDI is another $500.00
Unless you're throwing the PDI in the price...don't advertise that price.
I don't see Harvey's charging me any extra to build my burger or Safeway any more to bag my groceries or a home builder sell a house for 400k then wanting an extra 100k because they put it all together.
So just stop it already...if you want $12,499.00 just say so:realmad:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don`t think that normally a dealer would touch this subject with a 10 foot pole. However, as a dealer and a comsumer. I am going to respond to this. As it not only deserves an answer but is a legit and good question. As a 25 year salesguy in this industry I have seen a few things over the years. We have seen the "flash in the pan" dealers that pee in the pool and then close thier doors. We have seen the "old time" dealers that have been in this for the long haul and appreciate thier customers. I have had longtime customers come in to see me and say have you seen this ad? These guys are $1000 cheaper than you. The dealers all pay the same for thier machines unless they made a special purchase from the manufacturer. Digging into the $1000 less dealer`s price you discover a few things. For example...A machine that comes with a winch is $675.00 extra for the winch. Mount kit $225.00 everything is extra. The advertised price grabs your attention, the walk out price makes you want to make a stop for preparation H. I don`t like this method and I know you don`t. It is all smoke and mirrors. As to the freight/pre-delivery inspection and documentation fees. They are real. The dealer does not get paid to install winches. They pay fuel surcharges, they pay to dispose of crate material as well as wages. Even the manufacturer is charging the dealer freight. I would rather quote 1 price "all in". I believe this is your concern. I don`t blame you one bit. I buy units too. The dealers, "flash in the pan" guys started this a few years back. As the consumer looks at the advertised prices, not the fine print. They go only to find all is not as it seems. When someone calls me, or sees our ads. We try to be as clear as possible. When I quote you on the phone I tell you up front exactly what the all in price will be. When we run an ad, we clearly let you know about everything. No surprises. So, in a nut shell we have be forced to follow the trend set by some. But, we are up front and clear about it. No extra B.S. I hope this helps. I felt working for a dealer that you did deserve a fair and honest answer to your question.

All the best, Greg Symbaluk Riverside Yamaha-Suzuki

Top Bottom