What does everyone use for engine oil?

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I was on another web site and they were talking about oil..The quad i had before the Grizz was a 5 speed tranny not a automatic.So in the one i have now i just use 10-30 but some people say to use only Yamalube? Is there that much difference?I was going to start to use synthetic on the next oil change,any thoughts???

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I use 10-30 WITHOUT an antisludge or cleaners in it the manual says it is bad for the engine

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:nono:10-30 in the Grizz is not enough during the summer. 15-40 or 20-40 for the summer.

Amsoil or Mobil 0-40 synthetic for my larger toys. Caster oil for the miniture toys. And oil as recommended by the manufacturer for the vehicles.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
:nono:10-30 in the Grizz is not enough during the summer. 15-40 or 20-40 for the summer.

Amsoil or Mobil 0-40 synthetic for my larger toys. Caster oil for the miniture toys. And oil as recommended by the manufacturer for the vehicles.

That is what the owners manual said (10-30)Up to 35 degrees celcius ........ .Before the outwest thing comes i will put something heavier in it i think.,,,,,,,,You are going aren't you?

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is what the owners manual said (10-30)Up to 35 degrees celcius ........ .Before the outwest thing comes i will put something heavier in it i think.,,,,,,,,You are going aren't you?

I will be at Outwest.

Top end will last forever using the heavier oil above 5 degrees C. Cylinder will be completely glazed at 1000km using 10-30 during the summer. Cam wear also increases significantly after 3000km. 10-30 will not prematurely kill the engine but the heavier oils will ensure the rest of the machine is wore out long before the engine is tired.

Warning: 20-40 is a PITA to drain during oil changes.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I've kept using the cat oil in my bike. It is off warranty now so i'm gonna change to amsoil if i can't find a esso synthetic oil.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
After a "SWIM" anything you can scrounge up is better than that white foamy stuff!

HeavyHitter

Reaction score
I currently use 10-40 synthetic but have no problems running 5-40 or 15-40 synthetic. The big thing to look out for is on the back of the oil container in the small circle you do not want to use any oil which states "energy conserving" which means there are additives in there which will affect your clutches. Even on the belt drives as there are still a centrifical clutch in there on most.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been running the amsoil for years now and it has been great. We took a sample of used amsoil and a sample of used mineral oil in for analysis and what they claim is true, it doesn't break down as fast. You can really notice the cold starts in the winter. I have a VW that won't start in the cold with mineral oil, but it fires right up with amsoil. I'm sure all synthetics would do that.

keith660

Reaction score
I use amsoil 0-40, no problems! (660 grizz) since the first oil change at 500km.

keith

powderpusher

Reaction score
I run castrol syntec 10-30 in the winter and castrol syntec 15 40 in the summer,have been using this way in my honda big red since 87 and it still runs like new no repairs to motor yet to date

Top Bottom