What do you think

rider1

Reaction score
Getting close to finishing my shop. What are the pros and cons of radiant heat? Some guys say to put in floor heat. Shop is being used for recreation use.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are working out of it... bringing equipment or snow covered vehicles in to work on, infloor is almost a must... but for recreational use, I find that an overhead or infrared heating to be a better option as you can change the shop temp relatively quick... with infloor heat, you have to maintain a more constant temp for it to be comfortable when you do decide spend a saturday etc...

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Floor heat is great, snow melts fast and floor dries fast, but temp not real adjustable. If you only want the shop warm when working in it, radiant is better.

Assaulter13

Reaction score
If you are close to finishing your shop as you said? It is going to be a little late to install infloor. Radiant is nice as it is very quick to heat up, doesn't have a fan to blow dust around like a forced air overhead unit (although if you have higher ceiling height you will probably want circulating fans to keep the heat down near the floor). The only negative with radiant heat is that if you do a lot of wookworking in your shop - the projects will "soak" up the heat and radiant tends to cause wood to warp - it just dries it out so quickly.

Radiant is nice for a typical mechanical type shop though - heats it up quickly - as opposed to infloor heating, and it is fairly efficient when it comes time to pay the utility bill.

Infloor is the best if you plan on spending a lot of time at ground level lying on your back working on toys - can't beat that.

For weekend warriors - radiant.
For all day everyday mech junkies - infloor.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am buying a new place and the existing 40 x 60 shop has radiant heat installed it. I am used to that as my existing 30 x 40 has radiant. That said upon inspection the new one has infloor tubing installed... Needless to say I will be putting in a boiler and making the floor heat a reality. I will be leaving the radiant however as cold weather door open recovery time is much better than the infloor as mentioned. Once back uo the radiant can go off and leave the infloor to do its thing.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have in floor heat and like it very much. Floor dries quick and the constant Temp is good. I have thought of branching off of the hot line and going through a heat ex-changer with fan to recover after the door has been opened. The fan could be ran off a thermostat as well.

Top Bottom