What did you doo to your lawn mower today?

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Country Clipper with a 52 inch deck and single joystick. Works well overall including sidehilling. In deep grass at high speed (relatively) I would sometime get a little strip of grass between the three blades. The existing blades were not bad (from last year) but I picked up a new set. Decided that I would just double up the blades so now have two on each shaft which means a blde at every 90 degrees instead of 180. Got them nice a square and tack welded them to see how it would work.

Amazing difference. I can cruise even faster and get a real smooth cut. Both sets of blades are mulchers and while I would get some clumps with the single setup in deep grass, I practically have dust now. Have used them for two hours with great success. We will see if I have issues with the shaft bearing but everything seems very smooth.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Country Clipper with a 52 inch deck and single joystick. Works well overall including sidehilling. In deep grass at high speed (relatively) I would sometime get a little strip of grass between the three blades. The existing blades were not bad (from last year) but I picked up a new set. Decided that I would just double up the blades so now have two on each shaft which means a blde at every 90 degrees instead of 180. Got them nice a square and tack welded them to see how it would work.

Amazing difference. I can cruise even faster and get a real smooth cut. Both sets of blades are mulchers and while I would get some clumps with the single setup in deep grass, I practically have dust now. Have used them for two hours with great success. We will see if I have issues with the shaft bearing but everything seems very smooth.

Did you need to put a longer bolt in?

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did not. The additional 3/16th of an inch didn't seem to have any affect. There is at least an inch of bolt going into the shaft. I will be keeping an eye it it though. The Clipper has a tilt up deck so it is pretty easy to access to inspect.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about taking the restrictor plate out to give the orange dragon a little more juice.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is pretty cool.
But when, not if but when, you hit an obstacle like a broken tree branch, a rock, a stump or just bottoming out on a raised mound.....will that weld hold? I don't think I would want to be around when 2 blades spinning at high speed on the same spindle start trying to rebalance themselves if that weld lets go. Shrapnel may exit that machine at super high speeds.....be careful.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes caution is good. I have been cutting these areas for about 27 years so I know it well. Now that I know it works and does make a difference, I am looking at fabricating a collar that will have four positive stops - one at each 90 degree corner between the blades. I am thinking I will get a longer bolt at that time.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also helps that the Clipper deck is much heavier than most others.

Top Bottom