What did you Doo to or for your XM today……..

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I bought the LineX stuff from CT (I got that information on this forum). Not sure how long it will last. I used 1 spray can. There were two kinds available but only one included plastic in the list of compatible material.

5 minutes between coats, 36 hours to dry and 72 hours to cure according to the instructions.

I guess I'll see the first time I ride the trees………….:D

Looks awesome fernie! i tried to get the line-x boys in Edmonton to do mine but they declined saying it wouldnt bond with the plastic. I am gonna try this though, cause after all even if your not the best on the hill, you should dress like it lol

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Now to go out and install The Thing…………….:D

IMG_1656.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
have fun with the stock can springs without "hood access" ;)

I took the hood off as the end of the muffler was too long to come out of the suitcase. One just needs the "push/pull" spring retractor. It actually wasn't too bad. I had everything back together and should have put a piece of screen behind the front bumper before I put the muffler back in. Pictures tomorrow.

Make sure you use some Anti-sieze on the temperature sensor(s) for the Thing and the muffler as they will not come off after a season of riding without it.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took the hood off as the end of the muffler was too long to come out of the suitcase. One just needs the "push/pull" spring retractor. It actually wasn't too bad. I had everything back together and should have put a piece of screen behind the front bumper before I put the muffler back in. Pictures tomorrow.

Make sure you use some Anti-sieze on the temperature sensor(s) for the Thing and the muffler as they will not come off after a season of riding without it.

aah you did it the easy way

i left the hood on, and used shoe laces as a spring removal tool ;)

stormcp

Reaction score
What did I do to my shiny new 163 x i picked up today well.....

I did an incredibly fast reverse dismount out of the back of my buddies truck, hit half the ramp, and put her on the ground.... Kinda look like I ment to do it but I almost had a heart attack! Totally noob thing leaning into throttle while Its in reverse!

zeke800

Reaction score
why is all the foam laying on the ground in that one picture. Just bought a new summit and people have been saying to rip it all out. Won't it melt the hood??

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
why is all the foam laying on the ground in that one picture. Just bought a new summit and people have been saying to rip it all out. Won't it melt the hood??

The hood gets snow inside, the snow melts and forms a vapour, the foam absorbs the vapour and and condenses forming water. When you shut the machine off the water freezes. Next day the same process and soon the foam is heavy. (I don't know how heavy……..)

I have melted the Rotax symbol from the silencer into the side panel by laying it on it's side for an extended period of time in a tree well (that's another story). With the light weight cans that is not a problem as they are not close enough to the plastic.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
And to get the foam out in one piece you did what?

Thegeneral

You are really on a roll with this posting thing………….good on ya'!

If the panels are warm (sitting in the heated shop for awhile), start at a corner and slowly pull the foam. If the foam breaks away from the backing tape, you gotta lift the tape with finger nails, scraper or whatever and slowly pull the tape. It makes a scratchy noise when done correctly and the whole piece should come off easily.

There is a fair amount of foam under the hood on the 2013's; around the muffler and under the head lights.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I guess I'll just crank the heat in the shop and make sure I have plenty of cold soda to keep me cool while said foam is removed🍺🍺🍺

Thegeneral

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are really on a roll with this posting thing………….good on ya'!

If the panels are warm (sitting in the heated shop for awhile), start at a corner and slowly pull the foam. If the foam breaks away from the backing tape, you gotta lift the tape with finger nails, scraper or whatever and slowly pull the tape. It makes a scratchy noise when done correctly and the whole piece should come off easily.

There is a fair amount of foam under the hood on the 2013's; around the muffler and under the head lights.

I think this is one of the first things I'll do to mine!

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a must doo for the foam. I also remove mine and never had problem with melted panel, but di have mega ice in there because of the foam holding the water and freezing like ferniesnow said.....

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I plan to pull all my foam and anywhere where there is alot of heat like around the can side panel I am going to replace my foam with stick on heat shielding. It's super thin and can be bought in rolls or sheets. It should protect the plastic. I did the same thing to my REV with no issues. My wrap never showed any signs of getting hot.

Top Bottom