What avy pack to get. ??

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok there is so many out there , need one with god storage ( even if its big )

Think the ones with air are better , scuba shop is close to me also.

What does everyone use and what's best to get and y ???

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

Dustylane

Reaction score
I just picked up BCA's avy pack, it doesnt have the external shovel pockets which is kind of a downfall but there is lots of room in them for all your stuff. And the BCA's are filled with oxygen which i heard is alittle better for those moments we all hope never comes.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought the abs vario at sledshow with outside shovel storage I tried them all on an it seemed to fit me the best
i also liked the snowpulse they fit close to abs and have great function inside or storage for me the bca. Packs did not fit me right and felt uncomfortable

HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the snow pulse vest and really like it, good storage, out side shovel storage. I also have the optional armor, no longer need my tech vest and it spreads the weight out wider across your shoulders and body so it feels lighter when full. :beer:

camaroman72

Reaction score
Get the vest! I bought one on the advise of a fellow sledder who uses one and like (holdmybeerandwatchthis )states the weight is spread out across a wider surface with the vest opposed to the thin straps of a back pack.

Yaco

Reaction score
Haven't bought one yet but picking one up soon. Going with ABS myself. The idea of two bags is nice in case one punctures, and I like the options as far as different sized zip on packs. Buddy of mine has the vest pack from Snowpulse and loves it as well. Says it's comfortable and distributes weight nicely. Personally I would go with what fits and feels comfortable for you. At the end of the day it's still a backpack that you will be wearing every day in the mountains so you better enjoy wearing it as opposed to cringing at the thought of putting it on. They will all help keep you at the surface in an avalanche.

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I first had a RMX bag and did not like it because it just had two large pockets with poor storage. Then I purchased a ABS 15L Escape, it was a good bag but it's downfalls were that it was just too short in the torso which was causing the weight to sit on your shoulders and not your hipps. Also the shovel went inside probe just laying in there too, it had a few more storage points than my previous but still was not happy with it. I ended up getting a snow pulse 22L last season and it has all the right functional pockets and holders, outside shovel and fits my torso length. What I wish someone would have told me when buying was to look for these things I would have made a couple less purchases. Good luck shopping!

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
The best advise is head to a shop or shops and try them all on, also the deploy each system and see how easy it is to reload the bag as well as the canister! MOST dont do this and you are buying a safety system so go with the one you feel most comfortable with. ABS is the only one that uses nitrogen since it is an inert gas and is not affected by altitude as well as nitrogen is not prone to freezing as it is released. All air bags use a Venturi system to fill the air bag or air bags as the canister only deploys the bags and fills them 1/3, the rest of the air is drawn in(this is the noise you hear when it is inflating) so if you are thinking your going to breath that air(which you could in any system), number one the systems are designed to keep you on the surface so you wont need to breathe the air out of the bag and it is in the bags and needs to be pushed out with the push of a button, so either way your not getting at it.
Many people promote the outside shovel pocket, thinking they can put their shovel together faster or it is easier to get at. I promote the opposite actually, having the shovel in a designated pocket but inside allows it to stay dry and ready for use, when you use it and put it back inside its own pocket it melts the snow out of the ferrels and off the shovel which allows the shovel to be extended easy the next time you use it. I often find shovel handles or blades from them falling from outside pockets and attachments and once you use the shovel snow gets into those nooks and crannies and ferrels, then when it is outside the powder stays on it and it makes it hard for it to be extended and put together a second third and forth time...so do your own personal testing with all types you are interested in and then you can make the best decision for you.
One other note is that you should buy a second canister or canister and handle in abs's case, in case you accidentally set off your bag on a trip, or int he morning before you head out. This will not happen often but if it does your not going back into town to exchange an abs or refill a bca, snowpulse etc. Having an extra canister will then allow you to reset your bag and head off with the 800-1000 pack you paid for. If you have several riding partners with the same bag one canister between 3-6 people is suffice just so you have one.

Destroyer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The BCA float 32 is a nice pack. Huge amount of storage, and an easy refill. The goggle pouch comes in handy. I don't see the inner shovel storage as a downfall really. You can fling that zipper open just as fast as getting it out of external storage. And I'm never affraid of loosing it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I think out of all of them the bca 32 seems to have it all and not break the bank.

Any more ideas ??

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an ABS pack and it works well, but if I was looking to replace it I would go for the vest with armour over the pack.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Norona has some good points Jeff. I'm thinking I know where you are coming from with this query. The one extra thing to consider would be a spare shovel on your sled. Just to get at your only shovel, you do not want to take off your bag rescuing some stuck dude in a precarious position. Therefore, you are looking at a tunnel bag or some other means of storing the second shovel. That being said, there would be extra storage for some of the emergency things.

Therefore, you may not need one of the biggest bags and believe me, after carting around a Float 30 filled with survival gear, it makes for a long and tiring day. Another thing to remember, bags are cheaper for a reason and in your position, you want to make sure you have a good system in place.

In your case, the extra canister/handle is very important. It would be very easy for that dude to be stuck in the trees, you rescuing him, and your bag being deployed from an inadvertent tree branch.

I am not an expert on bags, but I like what I wear and it is very comfortable for a season of riding (50-100 days through the winter). Check 'em all out and be diligent with your research.

sylvanAssault

Reaction score
Ok there is so many out there , need one with god storage ( even if its big )

Think the ones with air are better , scuba shop is close to me also.

What does everyone use and what's best to get and y ???

If your not over weight the snow pulse vest is awesome provides good protection, support and doesn't shift around highly recommend it.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
snow pulse vest is what i would get next. I got a 30L snow pulse but i only have avy gear in it and its synched tight! use to carry a bunch of stuff but the weight of it works on you over the day/week so now im keeping water and extra gear on the sled.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
norona has some good points jeff. I'm thinking i know where you are coming from with this query. The one extra thing to consider would be a spare shovel on your sled. Just to get at your only shovel, you do not want to take off your bag rescuing some stuck dude in a precarious position. Therefore, you are looking at a tunnel bag or some other means of storing the second shovel. That being said, there would be extra storage for some of the emergency things.

Therefore, you may not need one of the biggest bags and believe me, after carting around a float 30 filled with survival gear, it makes for a long and tiring day. Another thing to remember, bags are cheaper for a reason and in your position, you want to make sure you have a good system in place.

In your case, the extra canister/handle is very important. It would be very easy for that dude to be stuck in the trees, you rescuing him, and your bag being deployed from an inadvertent tree branch.

I am not an expert on bags, but i like what i wear and it is very comfortable for a season of riding (50-100 days through the winter). Check 'em all out and be diligent with your research.

its a early christmas gift from my mom and dad...... Guess they figure i should have one ....

Not big on tunnel bags my self .... I have a huge back pack as now and is heavy .... Kind of wanted to have close to the same amount of room inside as now

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
its a early christmas gift from my mom and dad...... Guess they figure i should have one ....

Not big on tunnel bags my self .... I have a huge back pack as now and is heavy .... Kind of wanted to have close to the same amount of room inside as now

Are you looking down the road at your passion?

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also recommend snowpulse vest. Way more comfy than backpack and saves your ribs when ya hit handlebars... Lol.

Top Bottom