What are people thinking?

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today i rode clemina about a klick before the cabin on the right hand side there was a big slide that happened sometime last night some of the guy,s were saying it wasn,t there yesterday.In the afternoon i watched a group of riders drive into a posted area and started highmarking on the west slope of avalanche alley i am not sure if these guy,s were aware of the danger they were in or they just have a death?Wish people are still going to ride but come on guy,s use some commen sense we have lost enough brothers already this year!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really do not understand it. Yes there is always a risk, but it is pathetic how arrogant people can be. You are not only endangering yourself by making bad choices, but anyone near you. It is perfectly safe to go IF your are disciplined enough to stay out of bad areas, but from what i've seen pretty much NO ONE is. I am done for year, partly because there are to many people making bad choices and the risk involved and the fact that my sled is far from being rideable after getting towed out 2 weeks ago :(

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i hung up the keys for another year my family is first so next year might be a better year for sledding so if u are going to the mountains play it safe and ride home alive :)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I really do not understand it. Yes there is always a risk, but it is pathetic how arrogant people can be. You are not only endangering yourself by making bad choices, but anyone near you. It is perfectly safe to go IF your are disciplined enough to stay out of bad areas, but from what i've seen pretty much NO ONE is. I am done for year, partly because there are to many people making bad choices and the risk involved and the fact that my sled is far from being rideable after getting towed out 2 weeks ago :(

Right from the get-go, the snow in the Elk Valley was suspect. In Elkford, we can ride from our yards. I didn't hang the keys up in December and I'm not ready to hang them up now.

Saying that, I mean no disrespect and I'm not bragging, being arrogant, or otherwise selfish. I have changed my riding areas and my riding style. I haven't climbed anything bigger than a bunny hill in the trees all winter. Just yesterday, my grandson and I had an awesome day in the trees at Koko Claims; 12" of untracked fluff in the trees with little hills to climb and tree wells to maneuver all on a pretty good base. Lunch in the sun looking up at the slopes and trying to figure out the message of Mother Nature this winter. This winter we have consistently practised "chute protocal" all winter; on the way into our riding areas and on the way out of our riding areas. Other winters when everything is down, we will feel safe and not really have to worry about the chutes we pass through but not this winter!

Terrain assessment has been foremost in my mind and I have consistently skirted the runout zones where ever possible. I have been respectful of Mother Nature and scared! Even when I groomed on Thursday, I had visions of a slide coming down and we (jump seat partner) talked about whether or not the SnowCat was heavy enough to stay on the trail and have the debris go around us and not pile up too high. Kind of crazy but that's what groomer operators do! We also have a pretty good feel for what is down, what is remaining, and what the conditions are like at the time (alpine wind loading, solar radiation and late afternoon slides, etc.). With riding and grooming, we are out there 4-5 times a week.

No, I'm not about the hang the keys up yet but I sure as hell ride safe and am being responsible. Once again my condolences and symphathies to our fallen brothers, survivors, and families. RIP

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with Ferniesnow.
Too soon to hang up the keys yet. There are a lot of great bowls and meadows with some of the best snow of this season just waiting to be carved up. No doubt, we all want something different from the sport, and if I was a total steep and deep addict...well, I may be considering the Stabil in the tanks too, but there is so much more to SAFELY enjoy yet.

W

woodies

see you all on wednesday in elkford!!!! love that area lots of safe riding and no crowds!!!!

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm with ferniesnow, you just have to rethink your riding habits/style and it will be a great spring session. ride smart if you can.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is true....I see all the time the unsafe practices that some sledders chose to partake in. I really don't know if this is mostly from inexperience ( I'm betting that 98% of it is)...or from the few sledders out there that feel they are invincible and take on this "it won't happen to me" attitude. Some of the things that I see every time I head out to the mountains boggles my mind. It is no wonder we have had such a bad year.:(

The problem now that we are facing as a snowmobiling community is that the actions of the few irresponsible ones are going to affect us as a whole. We are starting to get a very bad rap out there, mostly portrayed when the media gets a hold of things and twists the stories around. Then the treehugging nazi crowd has all the more ammunition to get more areas shut down, etc....

I just think that we need to start getting smarter about how we represent our sport. That means joining your local club ( a strong membership= strong voice to fight for our areas) watching the avalanche bulletins, stay out of areas we have no business being in, (closed areas or unsafe areas) having the safety gear and KNOW how to use it, taking an avalanche course, playing smart out there, and not taking unnecessary chances that may put the lives of yourself or others at risk.

Top Bottom