Wet clutches and engine oil

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there seems to be some confusion on alot of forums about what oil to use in your quad. please read you owners manual and if you have wet cluthes you must use the correct oil or you will not get the full potential out of your quad or worse. If you are not sure what to use get the manufacters oil. The oil must be Rated for wet clutch use. Deisel oil will also work.

I have had many conversations over this and the confusion remains. Be aware.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard about this issue as well. The friction modifiers in some oils don't agree with the performance of the clutch discs. I know that Amesoil is good engine oil but I was warned that you have to select the type that works with wet clutches. My first quad had Amesoil but it was automotive oil not ATV oil.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK< instead of me Boring you with oil additives and why not to use them,.

if the oil jug has the STARBURST Symbol,, DONT use it in our bikes, atvs,with Wet Clutchs..

Belt drives are OK ,but still wouldnt use it, that oil is meant for cooler running automotive engines.

and 15-40 Diesal Oil is OK to use, and Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than the specialized Motorcycle oils, I belong to Gold Wing Association ,this is a group of pennie pinching Cheap Bast===ds.. and a lot use 15-40 diesal oil,.
its about $1.85 at Wally World...
I myself have used it, no issues, BUT I do use Amsoil in my Gold Wing and Quads.it takes the heat better.

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you must be careful with CVT equiped quads as they may or may not have wet clutches. This is where the confusion lies. You must read the owners manual. Too many times people worry about the viscosity of the oil and not the type.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TDH Oil meets the needs of modern tractors for a combination lubricant. It performs many functions, such as lubrication of the transmission and final drive, and serves as a hydraulic fluid to operate power steering units, brakes, implements, and attachments.

Furthermore, TDH Oil eliminates brake "chatter" and excessive brake facing wear, assures smooth operation of clutch packs and wet brakes, provides excellent shifting action, provides superior rust and corrosion protection for vital parts, minimizes leakage because of good compatibility with seals, Orings, and packing materials. It prevents sludge and varnish formation, protects metal surfaces against scuffing and wear, and provides outstanding lubrication for spur, helical, and spiral bevel final drive gears.

Top Bottom