Well. It happened.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It happened. Lost a lifter roller the other day. Bearings are unaccounted for. Guessing bottom end. Knew they were due, just hoped they would hold until the winter. Ah well. Here's the beginning of tear down. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348782040.926423.jpg

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
It happened. Lost a lifter roller the other day. Bearings are unaccounted for. Guessing bottom end. Knew they were due, just hoped they would hold until the winter. Ah well. Here's the beginning of tear down. View attachment 136811

How long will that take you and what is your out of pocket gonna be?
Sucks to fail before season ends

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How long will that take you and what is your out of pocket gonna be?
Sucks to fail before season ends

Out of pocket cost will depend on how much I'm willing to do myself. I cannot lap the bearing races in the bottom end, nor the valve seats. Looking at parts I'm probably around 1500-1700 and the labour involved. That's replacing most everything while I'm in there, and not hot-rodding the thing out too much. Keep it at 89", add a couple of go fast goodies. Local Harley shop has been really helpful throughout, it seems they like to see a younger dude crank into it himself rather than just swipe a card, which is always nice. Tonight, the bottom end comes out. I'm looking forward to having one of those "Un leaking" Harleys.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bottom end out and on the stand the local Harley shop was willing to lend me. I've since pulled the nose cone but didn't get a photo. I've come as far as I will and now the costs will begin. Sorry for cell phone pic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349286157.630793.jpg

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
127" 6spd trans, chain drive? :p

sorry to hear tho specially sooooo close to end of season!

I wish buddy, I wish. Hahaha. That's pretty dang far outta reach. I need one of those elusive '300k oilfield jobs'. Heck, then I could afford a garage to be doing this stuff in.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish buddy, I wish. Hahaha. That's pretty dang far outta reach. I need one of those elusive '300k oilfield jobs'. Heck, then I could afford a garage to be doing this stuff in.

I hear that!!! For me I think id just get a cheaper used sport bike and save the money AND hastle on my Nighttrain! PLUS I hate chain drive! unless its for off road or a go fast street bike!

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear that!!! For me I think id just get a cheaper used sport bike and save the money AND hastle on my Nighttrain! PLUS I hate chain drive! unless its for off road or a go fast street bike!

Hah, I would love a sport bike, but with the whole 'Impound your stuff if you're 40 over' in this province, that 'cheap' sport bike will wind up costing me a TON. Now if we had a nice road circuit, I would jump on one right away.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil pump - Fawked
Cam gears - 3 broken off
Pinion shaft - Out of spec
rockers - toast
Motor - broken

Dammit. Maybe a crate S&S isn't that far out of my future...

mikewayne

Reaction score
Website
www.usasuperbikes.com
It really feels sorry when something that bad happens to a vehicle and in your case it even seems you might loose in playing some races and will end up leaking money for the re - haul as well.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, quote came back on parts. 2500$ for parts. I'm guessing 5-10 hours labour to hone cylinders, lap races etc.

Going .010 over, and using some of the better things I can get my mitts on. I'm not putting chinese shite into this motor, it's going to be done right, albeit slowly.

Anybody wanna buy a sporty? hahaha.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Newest development:
After inspecting the cases, I will be needing those, they are too loose of a tolerance to seal back up. This explains why the thing leaked as it did. Speaking with the local Harley shop, there is an option for an S&S crate motor that is really economical. Looks like this will be the route I will be taking, as it would compare in price to rebuilding the parts I currently have.
So next summer, the wide glide will most likely contain a 112" S&S motor. 4" bore, 4.5" stroke.
All brand new parts. Seems to be the way to go, but sure puts the cost of my motorcycle up to brand new sporty territory.

Oh well, as it sits it's worth beans.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chitty deal Jay .................You could watch Cranky Ape web site and buy a write off . Maybe a cheaper alternative for ya .

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
call around to all the Harley etc performance shops as they do a ton replacement HP engines and sell the stocks cheap cheap.

Welches Racing in Edmonton is a good one to try for sure, AND the owner George is AAAA+++

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=welches%20racing%20edmonton&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwelchmotorcyclerepair.com%2F&ei=h-HAUNyxBMbqigL5kYGICg&usg=AFQjCNFalGbsuOfi2cmgqnzBsOQ2IWuvTQ

He builds some crazy top of the line stuff Mr welche is a stand up guy been able to meet him on more then one occasion if he cant help you we will point you in the direction of someone who can.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, after calling around and checking things out, I jumped on a 113" S&S Frankenstein motor. It was a couple grand more, but given how far I am, I might as well go all in. Currently have a frame with some wiring in my basement, hahaha.

So, ground up rebuild is what is going on. And man am I learning fast. Harley Davidson of the Kootenays has been nothing but helpful throughout the whole ordeal.
In fact, I'm ordering some new suspension this evening, fork springs and a set of 412 shocks. Why not.

Top Bottom