We need a place to ride

bcdemon

Reaction score
Hello all. We are having our 6th annual "Guys Ride" and we were planning on going to Lytton BC for 4 glorious days without the wife and kids to be men on our machines. But campfire bans are in effect so now were thinking maybe the Kootenays as we have never ridden there before. But we don't know where to go. We ride dirt bikes and like single track trails, hill climbs and all that fun stuff. I have read of areas near Trail (Ft Sheppard?) and the Kootenay MX track. I've seen videos of riding in Nelson which looked awesome.

I understand keeping your local riding area just that, local. But we are a respectful group of guys (until the moon comes out) just looking for a new riding area. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fort Sheppard is a decent area. Lots of sand and quite a few hills. I don't know of much single track there though as I have only ridden there a handfull of times. The MX track at the top of the Bombi summit is more of a recrecational MX track, but does have a fair bit of single track just off the main track. They are open Wednesday afternoon/evenings through the week.

If you are in Trail, Castlegar or Nelson you can pretty much get to everywhere within an hour. The Arrow Lakes trail system takes you through the old train tunnels along the multi use trail. There are lots of logging roads and such but those are dusty and boring.

Many of the ares through there can be found on the BackRoads books. Just pick an area and ride it. Between Castlegar and Nelson near Bonnington Falls you can go up Rover to the SnoWater area, lots of single track through there.

BTM

Reaction score
when are you guys coming?
Perhaps we can show each other the goods? Ive always wanted to ride in kamloops...
There are endless moto trails here as well as mutli use trails ie mountain biking....
Lets hope it rains soon because its fairly dusty right now...
I could show you fellas around especially the Trail area which is spactacular... And the hare scramble track up the bombi near castlegar is super sweet as well...
You can expect to be challenged here because its pretty techy ch!t but there is also something for everyone just dont show up with 4 KLR's or I'm out....
mike
04 crf250r
I live in trail...

Here is some fort shep not the greatest quality footage but the single track there is really good

fort sheppard single track - YouTube

here is a spactacular ride in ymir bc

ymir dirtbike - YouTube

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forget Ft Sheppard unless you want your wallet to be a lot lighter when you leave. 99% of it is closed to off road riding as of a couple years ago, Trail Wildlife looks after it and they put a guy out there most days to gather license plate numbers and monitor the activity past the creek. You can still ride the small climbs and gravel pits when you first enter but beyond that is signed about the closure. If you want some technical stuff, hit up Rover or Giveout ck and head over to 49ck and up to the top of Copper mtn, awesome views from the top and gives you a good workout getting up there. We used to ride the single track between Warfield and Rossland, the mountain bikers seem to think it's theirs now but I have a feeling the locals are still using them. :D

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in that area in the Ymir vid last week, really grown in trail up from both sides, Porto Rico side was better then Slide ck. Don't think bikes would make it up the Slide ck side with all the alders. Was a slow ride on the quads!

pointe_blanke

Reaction score
"Arrow Lakes trail system" anyone have any maps of this system? Where to camp, etc? The tunnels sound quite neat

Top Bottom