We got nailed a Caribou Basin!!

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last Saturday we were snowmobiling at Caribou Basin north of Revelstoke. No one in the group of five has been to this particular area before. My group has been coming out to Revelstoke to snowmobile from a range of 10 to 20 years, so we are aware of how the Caribou closures work. I looked at the Revelstoke club site to get the directions and to find out about the closures. So we woke up to clear skies Saturday and decide to explore somewhere new. So head up to Caribou staging area. The place was quite busy. We unload and head up we notice how well the trail is marked and take notice how the corridor is set up to the open area. We get to open area and start to tour around. We see a steep climb into the most eastern bowl. We get into the east bowl riding around. We decide to go down to this lake. I did mention to the group we need to pay close attention to any closure signs. So we dropped down to this small lake and go about another ½ mile not dropping down a lot so I was thinking we were ok to do so. There was also old track around so without seeing signs we feel pretty comfortable doing so. So we get to a wall of trees and we realize we can’t go any further. So we take a break in the sun.

Soon we hear a Helicopter and then see it overhead. It circles around us and then comes in lower and I realize it is going to land. It lands nearby and two guys in uniforms with hand guns and wearing MEC sunglasses come over to us. I then get the feeling something is wrong. He begins to tell us that we are in a closed area and he is going write us all tickets for $230 each. We plead with him that we had no idea that we were in a closed area and that there was no signs. He then gives us a break and tickets 3 out of 5 of us with $230 which totals $690 worth of fines. I’m just sick to my stomach can’t believe that we screw up like this. He also goes on to says that we should have used are GPS coordinates that are posted on the Revelstoke Snowmobile site to know where the boundaries were. They take a bunch of pictures of us and our snowmobiles. We ask who else is in the chopper besides the pilot they tell us someone from the Ministry of Environment is the chopper. He did not have the balls to show his face to us. So they finish writing up the ticket and we get back up to the open area. We spent the next 30 to 45 minutes searching for any signs that we may have missed. We found none.

So I get back home and decide to PM Powder Puff on here and tell her what happened. She put me in contact with the guy from the club who is working with the government on the Caribou closure boundaries. He tells me where we ticketed that the boundaries were not yet determined for that area and have not been signed. He also says that Government officials have stated that anybody that was in that area would not get ticketed until the boundaries were determined. I tell him about what the MEC sunglass wearing gun packing fish cop said about the GPS coordinates. He informs me that there is no GPS coordinates posted because the boundary has not been determined.

So it sounds like they just need to pay the Selkirk Helicopters rental with trying to trap us into paying tickets. This is not about saving Caribou it’s about making sledders look bad.

The 3 of us that were ticketed are disputing it. The hearing is supposed to be in Revelstoke. So it would be cheaper for us just to pay the tickets but that would make us guilty of something we are not.

I just thought I would share what how screwed up and corrupt the BC government is and how the sledders seem to always loose out in the name of saving the environment.

SleddingMar08056.jpg

Happy sledders just before we were nailed

SleddingMar08061.jpg

The visitors.

Link to video of Chopper getting the "us bad guys"

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what a dork. Id fight it in court. Id make a point that there is no evidence. And another thing, isnt it illegal for them to draw a fire arm unless threatened by some one with a weapon???

Last edited by a moderator:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
what a dink. Id fight it in court. Id make a point that there is no evidence. And another thing, isnt it illegal for them to draw a fire arm unless threatened by some one with a weapon???

WHOA!! Lets keep our heads. I DON'T think it was mentioned anywhere that a firearm was drawn. I think that this needs to be dealt with by the book. When is the date on the ticket for court apperance? You can get someone else to appear for you to give an innocent plea and then it will be up to the prosecution to come up with evidence for a conviction and by the sounds of it they don't have a leg to stand on. I do not know the law well but someone should chime in to help out here.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what a dork. Id fight it in court. Id make a point that there is no evidence. And another thing, isnt it illegal for them to draw a fire arm unless threatened by some one with a weapon???

No they just had them holstered they didn't have drawn at anytime. I just took notice that they were diffidently armed.

The way they describe it on the back of the ticket is you submit a dispute notice then they set a hearing date which will be in Revelstoke. So I have that ready to send in I have added a letter but not sure if that would be read or taken in to account. That would be nice if someone from Revelstoke to appear for us. The problem is cost to travel there day off work etc. There is three ticket chances are they won't even be heard on the same day so the two of us from Alberta couldn't even car pool. The other guy is from Kamloops. It really just a bad deal all around. You know there must a some lawyers that ride sleds you would think?

Last edited by a moderator:

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No they just had them holstered they did have drawn at anytime. I just took notice that they were diffidently armed.

The way they describe it on the back of the ticket is you submit a dispute notice then they set a hearing date which will be in Revelstoke. So I have that ready to send in I have added a letter but not sure if that would be read or taken in to account. That would be nice if someone from Revelstoke to appear for us. The problem is cost to travel there day off work etc. There is three ticket chances are they won't even be heard on the same day so the two of us from Alberta couldn't even car pool. The other guy is from Kamloops. It really just a bad deal all around. You know there must a some lawyers that ride sleds you would think?

OK i misunderstood. my bad. Ya id take it to court for sure.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would fight it also. Use the pics that you have with whatever evidence you can find,testimony from the club rep involved in the caribou issues. Also write a letter to the Enviroment Minister who you were told was in the chopper and tell him your story and maybe suggest that he appaers as a witness in court and swears that all evidence is right. Push the issue with undertermined boundories and public knowledge. Dont let them get away with this. If you need money just ask us all to help. If we can get Johnny Blaze on a video, Snow and Mud users can get you off the hook.

Last edited:

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this was a preformance for the minister on the helicopter with you guys being the excuse. What ever you decide to do, good luck. I understand the cost when considering $230 vs day off work+travel+your time, etc.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well depending on the court apearance date, it will give you a good reason to pull up with the sleds on the trucks. that is bull. i heard of the closeures but never knew they were in effect.. also raduim closed one area i think its the glacier area, not sure on the boundrys on that one. queest has some carabu around there and i heard they are watching area very close too.. you should fight the ticket, even if you loose you will get your points across. good luck with it.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say fight it too, but its easy for us to say that when it isn`t costing us anything. I think we should get the hat pass around for you to fight this ticket. The way I see this, if you are innocent, the only way we are ever going to beat these guys is to stick together. Find out when your court is and maybe we could get things going for you on Wing Night.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a solid case if you can get a testimonial from the Sled club / head who's dealing with the boundry issues stating they're undetermined and unsigned.

I'm really getting pissed with the fact of all the "honest" snowmobilers that are getting fined everywhere these days, it's getting pretty bad. We are a target and it will only get worse it appears?

All the best.... oh yah, I wonder how much stress that Chopper Buzzing around puts on the Caribou?

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
oh yah, I wonder how much stress that Chopper Buzzing around puts on the Caribou?

..... I hear ya ! :) I would think the caribou have got accustom to the chopper THUMPER buzz :eek: ... just as the sled buzz ! :) But some don't agree ! :rolleyes:

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to edit my original post by the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club, and as well I want to make my story completely accurate. Apparently I have ruffed a few feathers. Our group has come to the conclusion that what was said to us by the Conservation Officer when we ask who was in the helicopter besides the pilot he said "someone from the Ministry of Environment” Sorry for the misunderstanding.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Careful how you proceed boys! I went to court for a buddy years ago to plead "not guilty" to his charges, and was told by the judge that unless I was a licensed barrister, that I was not allowed to enter any plea except "guilty" Don't ask me why, just don't get yourselves into a jam by not showing up.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were up Frisby last mid week and a couple of Forestry Ranger dudes were patrolling on their sleds. So I ask them to clarify if the very end area of Frisby Ridge is open or closed until Apr. 15 for Caribou since the map in the cabin was defaced. Neither one of them had a clue. Huh??? But they were on patrol that day looking for out of bounds sledders???? How would they know except beside the actual areas that had signs erected. Pretty sad.
And boy did the Caribou closed areas look inviting! Gotta wait until April 15!

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were up Frisby last mid week and a couple of Forestry Ranger dudes were patrolling on their sleds. So I ask them to clarify if the very end area of Frisby Ridge is open or closed until Apr. 15 for Caribou since the map in the cabin was defaced. Neither one of them had a clue. Huh??? But they were on patrol that day looking for out of bounds sledders???? How would they know except beside the actual areas that had signs erected. Pretty sad.
And boy did the Caribou closed areas look inviting! Gotta wait until April 15!

Careful, it actually it opens on April 16!! The back of Frisby has a open corridor of 20 meter trail marked by signs then opens up to a very small open area in the back were the cliff is. There is another sign the shows it fairly well at the the beginning of the 20 meter corridor trail.

My guess is the Rangers were more concerned with the clear cut area that is below the cabin that is not open for riding, but you are right they should know what the deal is for the whole mountain.:confused:

BTW did they have MEC sunglasses on?

Top Bottom