We are the Voice.. Snowmobile Tether petition

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know I'm like Safety Sanchez lately, but I believe Snowmobiles should come from the factory with tethers installed.
BRP gets this. Thank you.
Recently a friend of mine was injured by his snowmobile, when he became pinned under his sled with the throttle stuck wide open. He had purchased a tether, and installed it, but it was the wrong one, unbeknownst to him. This happens much too often, with people shopping on the net, and installing their tethers themselves. If Machines came with a stock tether, there would be quality control, and more access for riders. Some may choose to use them, some not, but that old saying, you don't know.. what you don't know comes into place. Accessibility to tethers combined with urging from other riders could be the difference and continue the trend we have happening with riders growing exponentially in safety and education each year.
Here's an online petition. I've seen this topic often on this forum.. lets compile our thoughts in one place, then present them to the major manufacturers at their dealer meetings in the spring. Everyone's voice will help be the change that makes a difference.
http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitio...utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Signed.... ok I must be little naive here I have always owned ski doo I did not know other manufacturers did not come with tethers

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine didn't have them but they do now.
Good on you for perusing this. In the mean time for all that do not have one, installing is easy and all necessary wiring was there in my case (so why didn't the factory take it a tinny step farther and put the switch in)???
You need to know if the circuit is a N/O (normally open) or N/C (normally closed) loop. This is super easy to tell. If the factory wire harness has wires jumped together it is a normally closed loop (you will need a normally closed switch). In my case the wires were NOT hooked together so I needed a N/O switch. So on my sled as soon as the circuit closes it kills the engine.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
We have convinced everyone in our group to install tethers this year. I have a small carabiner on my tether so it's easier to clip on and off with gloves.
I installed my tether and tested it on the lift to make sure it worked.

Never heard of a Safety Sanchez before. :)

Last edited:

Cubby

Reaction score
My 07 Yamaha Phazer did not come with one. First thing I did was install one. And then tested it to make it kills the motor. My Yamaha is different - they need a normally closed tether with is not common (some older Arctic Cats use them).

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Page 101. No and Nc switches $21.99.

This is what I used and then did the trick with the carabineer like Dan mentioned.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have to admit i didn't wear my tether even though it come stock, but then i seen a guy get his leg caught in his track (i have no idea how but it happened). So I try to make a point to put it on now and I also find a small carabiner works well.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
We have convinced everyone in our group to install tethers this year. I have a small carabiner on my tether so it's easier to clip on and off with gloves.
I installed my tether and tested it on the lift to make sure it worked.

Never heard of a Safety Sanchez before. :)

How close is that to a dirty sanchez?

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my tether on a loop that goes around my wrist. Don't have a clip on my jacket so this works just as good.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My sled came with factory scratchers, but no tether :confused: I put a factory tether on, and signed the petition.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my tether on a loop that goes around my wrist. Don't have a clip on my jacket so this works just as good.

Careful with that method. If it's gets wrapped around your bars when you get launched it'll try to rip your arm off.

Voice of experience here! I never seem to learn anything the easy way! :noidea:

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always put tethers on my sleds....but if the factory did it I'd probably just throw their junk away and put ProArmours on anyway. :hmm:

And.....sorry Trish. I'm not signing any more online petitions. Still getting junk I don't want from the last time!

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've installed tethers on all my sleds, even done it on friends machines. They are not complicated to install.

I agree that they should be standard equipment on any brand.

I also signed.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never used to wear tethers untill last year when I bought an XM. If you roll it left to right the stupid start button hits the snow and fires it up. Then another 1/4 roll and the throttle opens up. By that time your hands are on the track. Serious safety issue. I know I know wear your tether and it won't happen. Happened more than once in our group last year now we all wear our tethers. And just put one on our Pro-rmk. And my Yami has one too.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
our original group all wore them then4 other guys became regular riders with us,they did not originally wear there,last year at the beginning of the season they decided to start wearing them for safety issues and know its natural for everyone to wear them, for safety measures I think all manufactories should install them. will do the petition now

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Safety has always been a part of the purchase process so Doo has always had my dough. Did the petition hopefully the other manufacturers will doo the same.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always put tethers on my sleds....but if the factory did it I'd probably just throw their junk away and put ProArmours on anyway. :hmm:

And.....sorry Trish. I'm not signing any more online petitions. Still getting junk I don't want from the last time!

All Good Ken! You can go into your email filters to block the updates too! Hey.... IT'S SNOWING.. or it snowed!! First ride tomorrow!!!

Everyone thank you so so so much.... !!!!!!!!! Wicked and wonderful peeps! Thank you!! We are the change for sure!

Top Bottom