Vortec max custom tune

jaredvh

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with custom tunes on the NNBS GM 6.0? Is it worth spending the few hundred for the gains you get? I'm looking to get a little better gas mileage as well as some low end. 11.8 MPG is what I'm gettign according to the onboard computer.

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
Gains with a custom tune are variable to say the least. Usually can pick up 5% or more, highly dependant on alot of other factors though. Best to check for other factors for poor fuel economy first. BTW, the factory DIC is calibrated with the US gallon, factor it up 20% to get miles/imperial gallon which is what we use up in Canada... LOL.

Personally I like the driveability and snap that a good custom tune provides, I wouldn't run a vehicle without one now.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been wondering about this for a while now on my 2010 2500 6.0L. a little better mpg's would be awesome and i don't want to do the whole intake, exhaust and chip.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know for out of the box programmers superchips and the edge ones have been working really well! got a few in guys 5.3's and you could definately notice a gain in power most of them are saying the mileage went up a bit couple said they get another 100-130 km's on a tank of fuel now so they were really impressed. Then of course there is EFI now that is abeauty of a custom program jpgmtech you tune a lot of trucks I have done a ton of diesel trucks no gas on efi yet how well does it work on the gas applications?

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
I know for out of the box programmers superchips and the edge ones have been working really well! got a few in guys 5.3's and you could definately notice a gain in power most of them are saying the mileage went up a bit couple said they get another 100-130 km's on a tank of fuel now so they were really impressed. Then of course there is EFI now that is abeauty of a custom program jpgmtech you tune a lot of trucks I have done a ton of diesel trucks no gas on efi yet how well does it work on the gas applications?

EFILive is one of the best sorted custom tuning applications there is for gas engines too. Especially valuable is the scan tool function which allows high level data logging. The 5.3 flex fuel engines wake up with disabling the flex fuel system and a few torque management tweaks, along with spark mapping. I have personally found that superchips will turn off some torque management but does little if anything with the spark map. Edge units can be a little harsh shifting with the 4l60e trans. I am generally a bit critical of the 'box' programmers that I have seen, they don't apply the same level of detail as the custom tuners typically do.

Gas engines locally will make 5 to 10 percent better power and torque on the dyno, with similar gains in fuel economy if the truck is driven similar to before the tune, which sometimes doesn't happen, LOL!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much for a custom tune and where can I get it done?

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have a superchip in my 5.3.Mileage is up a pretty consistant 2 mpg. Makes the truck alot nicer to drive when passing or pulling. Just feels alot more crisp. Well worth the 300 loonies.

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a fellow in pg that does custom tunes and i have talked to him about the 6.0l and gas mileage. he said there isnt a whole lot to be gained maybe 1-2 mpg not much but he said there is big big power in those motors. i had my 5.3l done and what a difference in power a bit better in mpg not much but power was way better.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To get a consistan 2mpg better would be great with the amount i drive

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EFILive is one of the best sorted custom tuning applications there is for gas engines too. Especially valuable is the scan tool function which allows high level data logging. The 5.3 flex fuel engines wake up with disabling the flex fuel system and a few torque management tweaks, along with spark mapping. I have personally found that superchips will turn off some torque management but does little if anything with the spark map. Edge units can be a little harsh shifting with the 4l60e trans. I am generally a bit critical of the 'box' programmers that I have seen, they don't apply the same level of detail as the custom tuners typically do.

Gas engines locally will make 5 to 10 percent better power and torque on the dyno, with similar gains in fuel economy if the truck is driven similar to before the tune, which sometimes doesn't happen, LOL!

Thanks for that info i have been using sct a lot on the gas trucks as well and liking it so far seems to be nice. I love efi on the diesels they work awesome and the feautures you can tune and adjust or simply amazing. next time i'm up that way i'll have to stop in and see what your all about with the tunning! cheers.

Top Bottom