Vintage racer advice wanted

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do we have any races here in ALberta? I have a Yammy ET300 I'd like to take to the track.....

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Do we have any races here in ALberta? I have a Yammy ET300 I'd like to take to the track.....
Not this year. Closest would be the event at Regina on Feb 19. See thread here
But we are going to try and get more organized and set something up for next winter, possibly a 2 or 3 race series in coordination with the Saskatchewan racers.
We MAY even re-kindle the NWSA. (looking into it)
WopOnTour

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know what you need? You need a 76-77 Ski doo 340 RV free air or same year Moto Ski Sonic which was the twin to the RV. I raced those in the old NWSA and absolutely dominated the amatuer classes that I ran my first year of racing. I raced the Cat El Tigre 5000's in that class. They beat me to the 1st corner everytime but I usually passed them on the outside coming out of turn 2. Once I had a clean track I was gone and then off to tech right after the race. Lol. Those things handled as they were low and wide and light. Those were the days. HaHa.
You are bringing good old memories back to light. That same time i was racing a moto ski supersonic 440 oval racer would love to find one of those sleds and restore it.

WopOnTour

Reaction score
You are bringing good old memories back to light. That same time i was racing a moto ski supersonic 440 oval racer would love to find one of those sleds and restore it.
Those 77s were so strong! (including the Blizzard sibling of course) Pretty much the only sled that could "top-end" with the 77 SRX. (My 76 Merc couldnt, it just cornered better)
I've been looking for a 77 Blizzard or Super-Sonic for years for drag racing. They are few and far between.
What was your sled number when you were racing? Was it around these parts??
WopOnTour

Last edited:

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those 77s were so strong! (including the Blizzard sibling of course) Pretty much the only sled that could "top-end" with the 77 SRX. (My 76 Merc couldnt, it just cornered better)
I've been looking for a 77 Blizzard or Super-Sonic for years for drag racing. They are few and far between.
What was your sled number when you were racing? Was it around these parts??
WopOnTour
I was part of the NWSA and mostly central alberta and western Sask. I think it was 062 or 067. And yes it was strong runner only 1 yammy i could not beat and it was Denis Clarke. Was always 1 or 2 sled length behind him at any given race. I actually clocked the fastest time at the Wetaskwin North Am at 98 mph on the back streach. Looking for 1 yet to restore.

WopOnTour

Reaction score
I was part of the NWSA and mostly central alberta and western Sask. I think it was 062 or 067. And yes it was strong runner only 1 yammy i could not beat and it was Denis Clarke. Was always 1 or 2 sled length behind him at any given race. I actually clocked the fastest time at the Wetaskwin North Am at 98 mph on the back streach. Looking for 1 yet to restore.
Awesome. We are rounding up old NWSA members to possibly have a reunion event (possibly part of some other "vintage" sled event) sometime next fall. Check out our Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/5995052729/
Is your last name Gagne by chance? (the last person we have record of wearing #067)
WopOnTour

Last edited:

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome. We are rounding up old NWSA members to possibly have a reunion event (possibly part of some other "vintage" sled event) sometime next fall. Check out our Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/5995052729/
Is your last name Gagne by chance? (the last person we have record of wearing #067)
WopOnTour
No thats not my last name and i am not sure of the number 37 years a long time try St. Martin. The starting line jitters are running rampid right now waiting for the green light to come on.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No thats not my last name and i am not sure of the number 37 years a long time try St. Martin. The starting line jitters are running rampid right now waiting for the green light to come on.

I remember the first time I went to Eagle. Hair falling out in the shower, nervous as hell. I told my crewchief in my first heat that I was going to dog it off the line so I didn,t get in anybodies way to the first corner. He told me they zip up the same way as me and to stick my nose in there. Worked out just fine as soon as the flag dropped. But geeeeesh these guys were in Snoweek and my idols. Lol.

WopOnTour

Reaction score
I remember the first time I went to Eagle. Hair falling out in the shower, nervous as hell. I told my crewchief in my first heat that I was going to dog it off the line so I didn,t get in anybodies way to the first corner. He told me they zip up the same way as me and to stick my nose in there. Worked out just fine as soon as the flag dropped. But geeeeesh these guys were in Snoweek and my idols. Lol.
Hahaha yea. Pretty damn intimidating.

Jacques Villeneuve decided to skip Eagle River this year, but apparently he will be in Beausejour- looking forward to talking to him again.
He and brother Gilles were my sled racer idols.

We pitted right next to the Ski-Doo team at the World Series at Waldhiem in 1981. That was the twin-tracker's inaugural year -Gilles was even there too! (but not racing)
Real down to earth French Canadian boys, even let us into their trailer/shop and borrow their torch & vise to do a silver solder repair on a carbide!
Passing through those clear vinyl "drapes" that hang from the back of their semi-trailer- seperating their immaculate race facilities from the outside elements I thought I had "crossed over to the other side" and I nearly passed out! lol
But you soon realize even your idols " zip it up just like you" in so many ways...

After fixing our carbide #96 signed this for me on that cold Sunday morning, while corn flakes and milk (he was eating from one of those mini-boxes) dripped down his chin. lol
WopOnTour

Attachments

• 405924_10150527510756749_698816748_8840017_180133344_n.jpg
    405924_10150527510756749_698816748_8840017_180133344_n.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha yea. Pretty damn intimidating.

Jacques Villeneuve decided to skip Eagle River this year, but apparently he will be in Beausejour- looking forward to talking to him again.
He and brother Gilles were my sled racer idols.

We pitted right next to the Ski-Doo team at the World Series at Waldhiem in 1981. That was the twin-tracker's inaugural year -Gilles was even there too! (but not racing)
Real down to earth French Canadian boys, even let us into their trailer/shop and borrow their torch & vise to do a silver solder repair on a carbide!
Passing through those clear vinyl "drapes" that hang from the back of their semi-trailer- seperating their immaculate race facilities from the outside elements I thought I had "crossed over to the other side" and I nearly passed out! lol
But you soon realize even your idols " zip it up just like you" in so many ways...

After fixing our carbide #96 signed this for me on that cold Sunday morning, while corn flakes and milk (he was eating from one of those mini-boxes) dripped down his chin. lol
WopOnTour

I have the exact same picture from him except I didn't get it autographed. Too star struck I guess. It was good racing in Waldheim.

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Anyone looking for a vintage SRX there's an 80 in Vernon for very reasonable $$ listed on Kijiji
1980 Yamaha SRX 440 - British Columbia Snowmobiles For Sale - Kijiji British Columbia Canada.
$440 obo
call 250-503-7269
These can do pretty well in the vintage 440 Super Stock or even mod stock classes
Most that I've seen racing with the "goldie" 1980 model they've removed the oil injection system, added pipes and a set of 44s and go!

*I'd go grab it but I have too much to do on my own SRX lol

WOT

Attachments

• 2132di6_20.jpg
    2132di6_20.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

WopOnTour

Reaction score
I have the exact same picture from him except I didn't get it autographed. Too star struck I guess. It was good racing in Waldheim.
Hahah I know what you mean about being star struck in Waldhiem.
Not just the VIlleneuves but ALL of the factory teams were there- Hulings, Elsner, Deckers, Dimmerman, Rosenquist, Wahl IN SASKATCHEWAN no less! lol
WOT

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahah I know what you mean about being star struck in Walhiem.
Not just the VIlleneuves but ALL of the factory teams were there- Hulings, Elsner, Deckers, Dimmerman, Rosenquist, Wahl IN SASKATCHEWAN no less! lol
WOT

The last year I went to Waldheim was the year that Cat went bankrupt. I remember Bob Elsner running down there. They were running out of pickup trucks as Cat was liquidating the race teams to the bank. I remember on the last lap Elsner was running like 6th or 7th with no chance to win so he cranked the handlebars on the backstretch and slid on his butt to turn 3 while his sled rolled down the backstretch. He caught a ride back to the pits and said if the bank wanted his sled that bad then there it was for them to take. The sled was pretty much totalled. Laughed my butt off over that. Lol.

WopOnTour

Reaction score
The last year I went to Waldheim was the year that Cat went bankrupt. I remember Bob Elsner running down there. They were running out of pickup trucks as Cat was liquidating the race teams to the bank. I remember on the last lap Elsner was running like 6th or 7th with no chance to win so he cranked the handlebars on the backstretch and slid on his butt to turn 3 while his sled rolled down the backstretch. He caught a ride back to the pits and said if the bank wanted his sled that bad then there it was for them to take. The sled was pretty much totalled. Laughed my butt off over that. Lol.
Well I think it was the last year of the World Series in Waldhiem wasnt it? Same year we're talking about? March 1981??
I wonder how many sleds like that were collected by the corner crews in Waldheim?
Really should go up there on a chassis hunt some summer.
WOT

PS> Below is a newspaper clipping I found on J. Biddiscombe's page on the Sno-Pro USA site. Note mountian man Bratko and baby-face Benson! lol
ALSO we sold the twin-track to a collector to fund more sleds!
(will have to change my sig)

Attachments

• Waldheim.jpg
    Waldheim.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Top Bottom