Advice please on 2007 summit 800 xrs engine

mullenc525

Reaction score
This is my first sled, just picked it up hoping to sled ski lots next season. I have mechanical experience with automotive and dirt bikes but wanted to check in here for some specific advice.

Apparently my sled has the 2008 motor (warranty) which was then overheated and seized at about 4500 kms. I've pulled the head off and one of the cylinders has a penny sized blemish on it. Compression was minimal, it could turn over by hand on the primary. It does turn smoothly.

I know I need pistons and a cylinder replate. I'm curious about the crank though. I understand the failure mode seems to be the isoflex drying or leaking over several thousand kms at which point the motor dies quite quickly. If all the bearings are still tight and the runout is in spec, does it make sense just to regrease it and do the top end? Otherwise it seems like spending $1800 for a full rebuild at a reputable place like sled head racing is better than spending $1350 in parts and cylinder rework and assembling it myself.

Where is the best place to get OEM parts? Servicehonda.com has the best prices for my honda motorcycles and they carry ski doo also.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Considering it's an R, I would spend the extra $500 on the rebuilt engine providing it has warranty to back it up.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont bother with sled head racing he does not stand behind his product, after 800 miles on my bb it blew, asked for a quote to fix and well next thing i get is a bill ...... go see Mountian Magic or anyone else if you dont want to take it to a dealer or ask around ....

Top Bottom