Video Surveillance on Private Property

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If someone was to put up video surveillance on their personal property do you have to post signage warning people it's there? Just curious.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
If someone was to put up video surveillance on their personal property do you have to post signage warning people it's there? Just curious.

from what I recall from when I was working in that industry that's a very grey area...... I mean if you don't post photo's and you go to the police with a clear photo of the fustercluck that was snooping around or "borrowing" stuff from you. There is probably some lawyer out there that would take that persons side and try to spin it around on you as you didn't post that they may be being watched. The other side to that too, if you put up some "dummy cameras" and some signs "Smile, You're on Camera" it is sometimes enough to deter those "snoopy" people.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what I recall from when I was working in that industry that's a very grey area...... I mean if you don't post photo's and you go to the police with a clear photo of the fustercluck that was snooping around or "borrowing" stuff from you. There is probably some lawyer out there that would take that persons side and try to spin it around on you as you didn't post that they may be being watched. The other side to that too, if you put up some "dummy cameras" and some signs "Smile, You're on Camera" it is sometimes enough to deter those "snoopy" people.

Yeah there's always some greasebag lawyer willing to spin the truth. I've been toying with the idea of throwing up a couple cameras, but don't want to do it if I have to put up a friggin sign, because I'm worried people will be curious enough to say "hmmm....wonder whats in there that she has surveillance for". I live in a good neighborhood, but someone stole all the bottles in my back yard ($100 at least) just wondering what else they'd steal...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah there's always some greasebag lawyer willing to spin the truth. I've been toying with the idea of throwing up a couple cameras, but don't want to do it if I have to put up a friggin sign, because I'm worried people will be curious enough to say "hmmm....wonder whats in there that she has surveillance for". I live in a good neighborhood, but someone stole all the bottles in my back yard ($100 at least) just wondering what else they'd steal...

sorry..

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I wouldnt worry about the sign.......Cyle will just ignore it anyway.......

cobraclone

Reaction score
My wife vehicle was just broken into on saturday night, its not the first time someone has gone through it. I will be putting up cameras, i wont be putting up signs. For their sake, the police better find them before I do!!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

City of Calgary should be able to tell you the rules surrounding this issue. Same thing with alarm systems, do you have to put signs on your windows & doors stating that "this property is protected by Alarm force (or who ever)" ?????? or is that something that is per city?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
My wife vehicle was just broken into on saturday night, its not the first time someone has gone through it. I will be putting up cameras, i wont be putting up signs. For their sake, the police better find them before I do!!

I'm hearing lots of this and vehicle/OHV thefts going on lately in Spruce Grove/Stony Plain...... I think I might mount an IP camera on the front of the garage soon as well.

cobraclone

Reaction score
Thats my fear is that they start getting really ambitious and try to get into the garage or house. A group of kids was going around the windermere area breaking into everything they could, they got caught last summer and everything has been quiet for a while. Now its starting up again.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hearing lots of this and vehicle/OHV thefts going on lately in Spruce Grove/Stony Plain...... I think I might mount an IP camera on the front of the garage soon as well.

Yeah not just thefts too, my buddies truck was spray painted in spruce a couple weeks ago in the middle of the night! Sure would of been nice if there was a camera around to see who did it

Sent from a iPhone

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
City of Calgary should be able to tell you the rules surrounding this issue. Same thing with alarm systems, do you have to put signs on your windows & doors stating that "this property is protected by Alarm force (or who ever)" ?????? or is that something that is per city?

Good call. I called the City of Calgary and there is no municipal bylaw covering this so I contacted the police non-emergency line and the woman read this for me.

Government of Canada Website states from the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
"Most privacy laws require the organization conducting video surveillance to post a clear and understandable notice about the use of cameras on its premiss to individuals whose images might be captured by them before these individuals enter the premiss."

I also left a message for FOIP to call me back.

Which I think is BS. Why should we have to warn someone they are being videoed if they step on our property.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Good call. I called the City of Calgary and there is no municipal bylaw covering this so I contacted the police non-emergency line and the woman read this for me.

Government of Canada Website states from the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
"Most privacy laws require the organization conducting video surveillance to post a clear and understandable notice about the use of cameras on its premiss to individuals whose images might be captured by them before these individuals enter the premiss."

I also left a message for FOIP to call me back.

Which I think is BS. Why should we have to warn someone they are being videoed if they step on our property.

you are not an "organization" you are an individual.... there may be your loophole.....

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rowdy, are you thinking the Costco type camera systems or something a little different?

Something a little different...my brother's an electronics engineer and he's set up a few video surveillance systems in his day. I've asked him to help me out.

And I should state, I won't be posting what, if anything, I put up, never know who's lurking on these sites...

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you are not an "organization" you are an individual.... there may be your loophole.....

You are thinking the same as me Tyler. That's why I wanted to contact FOIP to see if it's a loophole. I don't like the idea of posting signs telling people they are under surveillance.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
You are thinking the same as me Tyler. That's why I wanted to contact FOIP to see if it's a loophole. I don't like the idea of posting signs telling people they are under surveillance.

we haven't had an issue as of yet..... sleds have been on the deck of the truck since Dec 27 (approximately) but the truck gets blocked in overnight by our other 2 vehicles, so they would have some maneuvering to do if they wanted them bad enough..... I've also got some very "aware" neighbours that aren't afraid to say anything to people if they think activity is suspicious.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say you dont need signs but I would also say the thougher part would be finding a cop that gave a s%^t if someone stole something and you had a picture of them doing it, at least around here they dont care. As per alarm systems, you dont have to put up stickers or signs stating that your property is alarmed, but if you have an alarm you have to notify the police and display their sticker on the front door, cause if they respond to a an alarm call and you dont have it, its fines!

cobraclone

Reaction score
I agree with that, any business ive delt with have been required to post " Are is under video Surveillance". Im sure some dirtbag lawyer will argue a residence is an organization but i think that is a losing battle.
Carrots, your truck shares the same artwork left on the back of Woodhaven school not so long ago.

Top Bottom