Video of being Caught in Avalanche - Allen Creek January 23, 2016

Jentra

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.....glad your buddies were close by and you made it out ok with a story to tell your grand kids....Cheers!!

DooDoo

Reaction score
bag was test deployed... first day after a decent reload, not many sleds on the hill and not many ventured back where we were so there was fresh snow/slopes everywhere you looked, we rode in fresh all day long... you're right though, could've just stayed in the trailer and avoided it all together

Looking at the pic I would say the air bag was packed wrong after the first test deploy. There is a certain way to pack them and it is stated in the instruction. I can pretty much guarantee that will be the first thing they ask you if you call them. I have test pulled mine at least 5 times now and never had a problem with it deploying inside. Glad you made it out safe tho. Thats scary stuff man.

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thankyou for sharing an excellent video, glad your ok and I say kudos to your buddy for his quick response. That man saved your life

Arctic_Ragtop

Reaction score
Like others have said, thank you for sharing your video, I am really glad you are alive to share and talk about it. No matter what, someone is going to criticize when a video like yours gets posted, but these people should see way more value in the potential lessons that you've hopefully taught everyone who watches. Again, thank you for posting and glad you made it!!

coolcam

Reaction score
I seem to remember a ABS recall in the last couple of years. It was because the Velcro on the sides wasn't releasing on some models. They fixed it with a couple pieces of Velcro that you put in between the 2 layers so it opens easier. I would check your bag model for recalls on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing... It takes balls to put up your mistakes when you just know there will be those that pick your decisions apart!
i didnt really identify the "terrain trap" from the video??? Seemed to just flatten out!! but it's a good example of the weakness around exposed rocks and shallow snowpacks around them!!
your bag experience highlights the advantages of the pieps jet force bag that can be deployed and tested multiple times. It a feature I love because you can practise packing the bag ect...a few times without the hassel of looking for refills!

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing... It takes balls to put up your mistakes when you just know there will be those that pick your decisions apart!
i didnt really identify the "terrain trap" from the video??? Seemed to just flatten out!! but it's a good example of the weakness around exposed rocks and shallow snowpacks around them!!
your bag experience highlights the advantages of the pieps jet force bag that can be deployed and tested multiple times. It a feature I love because you can practise packing the bag ect...a few times without the hassel of looking for refills!
Apparently you missed the memo on the recall on the jet force bag.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apparently you missed the memo on the recall on the jet force bag.

Nope! I seen it, recall was for bags manufactured during a certain time period and the issue has been resolved!
Clearly bags that aren't subject to a recall have their issues also!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You never cease to amaze me tex. LOL.
By all means Lenny, u hit that hill too and take ur chances

As bad as it is to say, sometimes stupid people will sort the stupid people gene pool out

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm baffled at people making judgement on a situation that in fact could happen to anyone, including them self's. Even with all the training and precaution's these situation's can happen.
In this case an avy.
Sledding in general is a high risk sport. Being back east riding on lakes with the risk of going under the ice or ripping on trails at high speed's and piling into a tree, the danger's are still there. Back country riding the western mountain's is risky and unless you park it and stay home there is no 100%.

All i can say is take all the precaution's, inform your self and equip your self and riding partner's. Be aware of the area and situation's your traveling into, also understand your skill's and abilities.
Courses, avy reports and local info on condition's all play a part in decision making out there. Lastly, in the back country your life is ALWAY's at risk no matter how well trained you are and how much experience you have. If you can't buy that then your a fool...an avy is not the only hazard that can make a bad day.

Here is a thought for preacher's, majority of SAR's rescue's during a sledding season are not avy rescues or lost sledder's but sledder's venturing too far and too deep into drainage's and not able to get out again. Some damaging their sled's or getting hurt in the process, thus not showing up at the end of the day.
If it wasn't for some devoted individual's on snow shoes many sledder's would be collected with their sled's after the season.

Fact sledding is risky.
Glad the OP is ok and take's this unexpected venture as part of his personal experience, enjoy the sport and be safe. BTW **** happen's
i put a post on how we as club members promote education on the going down in to drainage issue you describe in the shuswap north oak riding area thread......could you expand on driving in to the avy path and its merits......thank you

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put a post on how we as club members promote education on the going down in to drainage issue you describe in the shuswap north oak riding area thread......could you expand on driving in to the avy path and its merits......thank you
Exactly what Lund said, happened last nite at owlshead, last week at bluelake, last week at crowfoot, few weeks before that at owlshead

One before that was a injury from going off a cliff

That's pretty sh!ty numbers for search and rescue, to go up and save the day

Because people ride, drop into a place they have no idea what's there

One good thing, the last two cases both had spots or inreach

Problem is the guys didn't know how to text with the inreach and caused some issues , but at least some are getting smart and buying the gear for just in case

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
**** that must be a sickening feeling.... I was just about buried 10 days ago in Blue River.... Big avy. Then seeing this and hearing about McBride really makes a guy think. Glad you got out alive!!!!

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was on right this minute today on tv
curious to hear what abs has said about the air bag not deploying properly so that this doesn't happen again to someone else

Top Bottom