Video of being Caught in Avalanche - Allen Creek January 23, 2016

unclet18

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. How long would you say the bag had to deploy before you went under?

long enough, a couple seconds... As soon as my hand left the handle bar i pulled it.... Exact same thing happened to me with an ABS bag last year on the last ride, someone pulled it as a prank. This was the 'redesigned' bag they sent me to replace that one.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, glad you're ok man.

**** me, the moment your head went under my stomach turned.

Stay safe fellas.

unclet18

Reaction score
That air bag sure didnt look like it did fawk all.glad to see you get out alive.

It helped a little bit with the floating but barely... And then since it blew up inside my bag I wasn't only fighting against the snow to breath I was fighting against the other f$&kin bag trying to blow up on my back as well

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. Doesn't get any more real then that. So the air bag didn't deploy is that correct? Scary. Glad you're ok.

unclet18

Reaction score
Wow. Doesn't get any more real then that. So the air bag didn't deploy is that correct? Scary. Glad you're ok.

It deployed INSIDE the avy bag, it actually ripped the inside of the bag and tried to expand inside the shell (check out the picture in the video at 4:45, that's exactly what it looked like when I took the front off)

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did your beakon play any part or was it not necessary because some part of you was visible?

unclet18

Reaction score
Did your beakon play any part or was it not necessary because some part of you was visible?

the very bottom corner of my bag was sticking out so no need for the beacon... thankfully, that would've been an extra minute or two and I definitely would've been unconscious

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad ur ok dude

But no one has said it yet, Ummm might be a reason no one touched that hill for a while

Life lesson I guess eh

kidinloghouse

Reaction score
that's a scary vid for sure. i dont think you'll get much support bif that is the first time you've deployed the bag. when i bought my abs it was written in the instructions to deploy the bag and send them the cartridge and they will refill it for free. and i'm with tex there was probally a reason no tracks on the hill and if you dont know who lori or curtis are or the services they provide. i would suggest taking an avalanche course.

sorry if i was sounding like a naggy nancy but that was a bad situation that could have been avoided

unclet18

Reaction score
bag was test deployed... first day after a decent reload, not many sleds on the hill and not many ventured back where we were so there was fresh snow/slopes everywhere you looked, we rode in fresh all day long... you're right though, could've just stayed in the trailer and avoided it all together

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy. Glad you made out ok. Definitely could have been much worse with that terrain trap at the bottom of that slope.

Top Bottom