Valemount & hid lites

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well volkswagen,porsche,lexus,bmw,mercedes,cadillac,lincoln and so many many more better pull all there headlights from there suvs cause guess what There HIDS as well!!!!!!!!!!!! and there stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so basiclly what is being complained about is some azz hat in a lifted truck has hids they should be illegal because of improper adjustment? or is it HIDS from the aftermarket are to bright they should be illegal? I see so much bitchin and whinning about HIDS and how bright they are when most arent realizing that 85% or more of the manufacturers have a factory HID System on there cars and suvs christ sakes even hyundai does! so whats the difference from a lexus, mercedes, or cadillac suv with HIDS coming towards you and a truck with HIDS coming towards you??? I'm trying to see were people are drawing the lines on HIDS considering so many factory vehicles have them already!

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe the cop was a victim like most of us that hate the jacked up trucks going around blinding everyone. Just his way of justice but agreed hiway conditions were not perfect.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well volkswagen,porsche,lexus,bmw,mercedes,cadillac,lincoln and so many many more better pull all there headlights from there suvs cause guess what There HIDS as well!!!!!!!!!!!! and there stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so basiclly what is being complained about is some azz hat in a lifted truck has hids they should be illegal because of improper adjustment? or is it HIDS from the aftermarket are to bright they should be illegal? I see so much bitchin and whinning about HIDS and how bright they are when most arent realizing that 85% or more of the manufacturers have a factory HID System on there cars and suvs christ sakes even hyundai does! so whats the difference from a lexus, mercedes, or cadillac suv with HIDS coming towards you and a truck with HIDS coming towards you??? I'm trying to see were people are drawing the lines on HIDS considering so many factory vehicles have them already!

the difference is factory hids have proper hid housing thus they transmitt the light like an hid is supposed to work, not just a bright ball of chit shining every friggen direction possible, thus the warning when you purchase them that they are not designed for standard halogen housings.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You do a great job of proving uneducated generalizations are the way of the redneck.

Check out all those manufacturers headlights, they are all DOT and SAE approved. There is a reason why.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so I upgrade my trucks lites,so of course it makes night vision much better,also resulting in you would think a safer trip!. Were crawling in to Valemont thurs night,I was the last truck in a what was close to a 9 truck convoy.the road was a carbon copy of a curling rink,were all crawling at was maybe 60 km,being safe,no one taking runs at the front of the pack. I had my fog lamps on due to the blowing sideways snow,making vision way better. We meet a rcmp who turns on the badboy lites,and decides I'm his next agenda prise for the evening. Due to the road conditions I elected not to stop right away waiting for a better place to stop with some room,which apparently bothered our little man. When I did stop,looking in my mirror watching our little friend trying to walk up to my truck,holding on the trailer then box rails so he wouldn't fall on his you know what due to the skating rink were on. WOW talk about creating a hazard on roads like that,whats really on his mind or the Valemont rcmp agenda's. Some oe applications have hid lites!!!. Maybe they could find more pressing issues to deal with, SERIOUSLY. Between the unsolved health issues and the rcmp mentality,makes it hard to wanna spend my hard earned dollars there!:realmad:

Wow, where to start. HID make YOUR tip feel safer, but what about the 30 some odd million other Canadians out that that they make their trips MUCH unsafer? I guess as long as its good for you screw everyone else. I guess if we lived by your motto murder would be legal, after all I feel safer when a stranger walking down my street isnt there, might as well shoot him, there I feel much safer, screw every one else.

Next point, you feel picked on by Valemont RCMP. Just so you know a local CVSE officer told me about 6 months ago that the word had come down from up top and they (CVSE and RCMP) were to crack down on illegal lights. Why in BC? Because our roads have many more curves and hills that those of our neighbors to the east, and HID's are at their worst when you meet somebody on a curve or on a fill, any angle change in a vehicle using HID can cause a bad glare.

Do you realize that the glare from an HID light is worse in wet conditions? The light scatters worse and makes it harder for the oncoming vehicle to see. How much you want to bet you met that cop on a corner or a hill? You have already said the weather was bad. Think maybe you glared the hell out of him and pissed him off?

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You are right, but I think what the major bitch here is that people buy the retro fit kits. The HID kits that replace you factory halogen bulbs. If you want to run HID's you should have the legal obligation to convert or change out your factory headlight reflectors to HID specific projectors just like the ones these new cars come with.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just got pulled over in bc for doing 130, then he told me to have a good night and slow down. No ticket. He was a super nice cop.As far as hid lights. If your such a poor driver that passing bright lights on the hwy puts you in the ditch. I dont want you on the hwy with me anyway.

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sounds like you are following the law. Welcome to BC

yep got a ticket for my driving lights on my truck in the total broad daylight, and i was in a crowd of 6 vehicles going down the road and the cop turned around, passed 4 other trucks and trailers just to catch up to me to give me a ticket for no covers on my lights in the sunshine!!! i love bc..

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran the HID'S when they first came out as i drive alot and they do make driving alot better for the person doing the driving. After a short while and people flashing me it was apparent that they were to bright for the oncoming traffic.
Also when meeting the other peeps with the HID'S you see what its like. I took mine out a few years ago as the newer trucks are coming with alot better lights oem.
As others have stated with the right housing's hid's don't bother you as i have them in my vette and also in suv but they came from the factory that way and have been designed to work with the hid.(as others have stated)
Low beam only on oem also. The after market are high and low if you want.
So i guess what i am saying is if you want to spend the money on the right housings for the hid's that are dot approved then put them in but if not i hope you enjoy paying the fines for the lights as well as whatever else they can find when they pull you over.
It would seem easier to not draw attention to ones self in these small towns or any town.
Just my 2 cents

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were stopped last year heading home from valemount. Brake cable didn't work so fined and had to repair before we could hook up. Buddy has hids but had proper housing so no ticket. We had no issues with the rcmp. There were a lot of sledders pulled over but the rc's also were pulling over semis as well. I have seen the rcmps there do some stupid stuff as well. About 10kms from valemount an rc basically did a 3 point turn in the middle of the highway causing 2 rigs and a few other vehicles to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the rc as well as not to cause a large pile up.

I have also seen the rcmps driving through the staging areas monitoring for thieves so even though he may give you a ticket for something illegal he may have also prevented your property from being stolen. We complain and are very negative towards them but there is probably a lot of good things they do that we don't see.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Big difference between bright and blinding, not all but many of them are blinding and leave oncoming drivers seeing spots afterwards.. the factory are bright, and can make a person wince a little, but they are approved and becoming more popular so nothing can be done.
The guys in the lifted trucks with HID lights, and fog/driving lamps who don't feel the need to dim let alone turn them off in the presence of oncoming traffic are the problem..

i just got pulled over in bc for doing 130, then he told me to have a good night and slow down. No ticket. He was a super nice cop.As far as hid lights. If your such a poor driver that passing bright lights on the hwy puts you in the ditch. I dont want you on the hwy with me anyway.

lovinmclovin

Reaction score
Website
www.mclevinindustries.ca
your all a bunch of dumbazzez... 90% of HID lights or DOT approved. and did the pig pull your light off to check? im guessing not. although it would be funny when he fell on his fat azz trying to disassemble the light.

pigs will be pigs.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your all a bunch of dumbazzez... 90% of HID lights or DOT approved. and did the pig pull your light off to check? im guessing not. although it would be funny when he fell on his fat azz trying to disassemble the light.

pigs will be pigs.
nobody said they are not DOT approved.
its the housing that is not designed for an hid light azzhat!
HID lights require an HID housing end of story.....................................
STFU unless you have a clue about what you are saying. obviously you have no idea what you are talking about much like 75% of everybody else commenting on how it is stupid they got fined for breaking the law.

and as for your comment on rcmp being pigs i would like to see you do their job for a day. they have one of the worst possible jobs in the world imo if you can do better go crazy your fatt azz wouldn't even pass the entrance exam i am sure ....................................

i'll stop now,
but you definitly need to learn how to show some respect you useless pos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You do a great job of proving uneducated generalizations are the way of the redneck.

Check out all those manufacturers headlights, they are all DOT and SAE approved. There is a reason why.

and you sir make great assumptions that people with hids are rednecks! I'm far from a redneck and far from uneducated! as for them all being dot and sae approved then big deal, yes it is the law and agree that there should be certain specs for this stuff but I can almost guarante that there are a ton of stuff that is "dot or sae" approved that should not be!(gm's new body style has three large holes in the rear behind the taillights causing rocks from the rear wheel to come in contact with the wiring on the taillights wich has made my taillight either fail completely or short circuit and blink and flash but hey that was approved from the factory!) as for there headlights it is a simple housing that is the major No No for HIDS. now heres the kicker some of these aftermarket HID companies work with the aftermarket headlight assembly companies to make proper HID housings that are legal! so if the aftermarket companies are making them legal to work with dot and sae approved standards then what is the issue gonna be? Basicly all the housing is doing is preventng the light from "shinning a bunch of different directions" it has nothing to do with how bright the light is! another big thing is the adjustment that people are saying is a big issue and yes on a lifted truck it is obviously out of adjustment lol but we have a factory headlight alignment checker for our gm,nissan,and ford store and you would be surprised how many vehicles come from the factory not properly aligned! I guess what the HID companies could do or the rcmp's could do here as well is make the legal hid bulb a 4800 k or less instead of having it at 6000 k that would make it a little less intense in the eyes. I personnally dont have a problem with hids or fog lamps being on they have never bothered me but I can see how some people absolutely hate them but to each there own. I feel the cops have a bit more to worry about then giving a guy a ticket for his headlights being to bright if tickets are gonna be handed out for bright lights and that kind of stuff then leave it for the DOT to take care of they already bust people with lifted trucks or no mud flaps so why not add bright lights to there list of infractions

f150truck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem is not HID lights but ILLEGAL lights, HID or any other type.

Off-road lights are just that - NOT for on road use.

From Hella website Drivers | Hella USA and Canada

"Looking for HID (Xenon) "retrofit" kits for your vehicle? Unfortunately, there are products, Xenon retrofit kits in particular, available in the aftermarket (especially on the Internet) that are illegal for use on American roads. Besides being illegal, products of this kind also endanger the public’s safety. Use of these “DIY retrofits” may lead to traffic fines or worse trouble for you and your vehicle. Some of these kits may use Hella parts, such as ballasts or bulbs, but are in no way approved or endorsed by Hella, Inc. for use on vehicles. Dangerous and prohibited (using HID / Xenon as an example) Any automotive lights (headlights, tail lights, turn signals, etc) that are sold for use in the USA must be approved by the Department of Transportation (DOT). This approval process is carried out by the manufacturer by submitting samples for testing by the DOT. When the approval is granted, the manufacturer can then, and only then, label the lights as “DOT Approved”. They can then be sold and installed legally on vehicles in the USA. The approval process is very strict and any deviations in the light itself from the way it was submitted for testing makes the DOT approval void. Using a different bulb other than the original type will void this DOT approval. This means that any headlight that is designed and approved for use with an H7 bulb, for example, cannot be used with anything but an H7 bulb or it is illegal.

HID/Xenon "retro-fit" kits are Illegal

This is the legal reason that Xenon conversion kits are illegal for sale or use in the USA, but there is more to the issue of Xenon retrofit kits than just the legalities. These kits themselves rarely provide a useful increase in light output; instead they usually produce a huge amount of unfocused light that is both blinding and dangerous to other drivers and pedestrians. The Xenon lights that you see on many of today’s cars are engineered by the manufacturers as complete lighting systems. This means that the lenses, bulbs, reflectors, housings, ballasts, and even the automatic adjusters and washers were all designed to work together in harmony to produce the best possible lighting under all conditions. If you remove just a part of this engineered system and install it into another vehicle’s lighting system without all of the parts of the original system, you are creating a potential safety hazard. A halogen headlight reflector is not designed to properly focus the intense light output of a Xenon bulb and this can result in a lot of unfocused light glare, sometimes up to 100 times greater, that is hazardous to other drivers and pedestrians. On the other hand, there are completely legal Xenon upgrades for some certain vehicles available as a compete set from Hella. These Xenon lights systems have been engineered specifically for a specific vehicle and submitted for DOT approval and come with all of the well-known advantages of Xenon lighting. "

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
eveyones getting pretty butthurt in here.

HIDS are illegal in most cases, suck it up.

the RCMPs jobs are to enforce the laws, suck it up.

dont like the cops? dont call the cops when your house is getting broken into, car is being stolen, sled is missing etc.

and believe me, my lights arent exactly legal and you dont see me crying all over the forums.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep got a ticket for my driving lights on my truck in the total broad daylight, and i was in a crowd of 6 vehicles going down the road and the cop turned around, passed 4 other trucks and trailers just to catch up to me to give me a ticket for no covers on my lights in the sunshine!!! i love bc..

LOL! I got one a few years back while cruising through the scales in Dawson Creek in a body job tanker pulling a tridem pup at noon. I only ever drove during daylight hours and didn't even know if the extra lights on the front bumper even worked and I never had them on. They had no covers on them and the DOT dude could care less about any excuses I had. He wrote me one for $ 152.00. Company paid that one. That particular DOT guy in the Dawson scale shack is a well known SOB that was lucky (according to others) to have reached retirement age.

Top Bottom