valemount cops bored again so lets pick on some sledders again

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLEDHEAD 900RMK

Reaction score
Well said Sledslut. There is a number of Units travelling up and down the highway with poor load securement. And lots of people not tying down there sleds in the enclosed trailer. If the load shifts it could be bad situation. And for these short box trucks with a 6'6' deck. and 4' to 5' hanging over the back. It's only a matter of time and there will be a disaster of one of these units losing a sled. Because they are on the point of just being on a balance point. And i wouldn't want to be the person that would cause someone Daughter, Son, Mother, Father, Sister, Brother and Friend. getting injured or worse. I think you get it. So lets make sure we follow al regs. If Transport driver have to. Why shouldn't we have to. Use sledders make the news everytime something happens to one of our fellow riders. And its the same for Commercial drivers. Thet get into an incident and its on the news for weeks. And finually the Ticket for a insecured load is $575.00 per unit. so if you have four sleds not tired down in your trailer, It could be a big cost. But I think if they pull you over they should ask for proof of ownership of all sleds.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
...Whats that got to do with us sledders getting pulled over when we are not speeding. Read the post....Cops are just singling sledders out while entering or leaving town for no other reason but for being sledders..

Chew on this..... We as sledders MAKE ourselves easy targets, you are probably just as aware as I am the number of guys that pound back the beers while driving from Edmonton to Mcbride/ Vale or wherever, or the number of guys who pound a few back in the parking lot before and after the ride, or the number of guys who drink on the hill ,and don't say it doesn't happen because I personally know guys that do it and see it pretty much every trip by people I know and don't. Not neccesarily the driver is drinking, but his passengers are, OOPS, there's another Illegal act, open liquor in a vehicle within the drivers reach. So maybe your not getting pulled over for speeding or an insecure load or having your papers checked maybe you got pulled over for a random check to see if there's open alcohol or drinking going on in your rig.
If the RC's and DOT catch a few drunks, a few unsafe trailers, etc... and people here learn abit about securing and marking there loads it's all good.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SLEDHEAD 900RMK;1075722 And for these short box trucks with a 6'6' deck. and 4' to 5' hanging over the back. It's only a matter of time and there will be a disaster of one of these units losing a sled. Because they are on the point of just being on a balance point. QUOTE said:
We seen one of these morons coming back from Mcbride last weekend, Lifted, extended cab shortbox with deck, the only part of the track on the deck was where the rails tip up at the front, and that was touching the end slope of the deck. Can you spell IDIOT!!!!!

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with the amount of sledders going to vale,how much $ value do you think the cops right in fines,be kinda neat to start a thread on this.were you try and guess the amount of fines written and the person who is the closest wins some type of prize,but unless people who received fines post the amounts there is no way to find out how much the cops wrote in tickets.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said Sledslut. There is a number of Units travelling up and down the highway with poor load securement. And lots of people not tying down there sleds in the enclosed trailer. If the load shifts it could be bad situation. And for these short box trucks with a 6'6' deck. and 4' to 5' hanging over the back. It's only a matter of time and there will be a disaster of one of these units losing a sled. Because they are on the point of just being on a balance point. And i wouldn't want to be the person that would cause someone Daughter, Son, Mother, Father, Sister, Brother and Friend. getting injured or worse. I think you get it. So lets make sure we follow al regs. If Transport driver have to. Why shouldn't we have to. Use sledders make the news everytime something happens to one of our fellow riders. And its the same for Commercial drivers. Thet get into an incident and its on the news for weeks. And finually the Ticket for a insecured load is $575.00 per unit. so if you have four sleds not tired down in your trailer, It could be a big cost. But I think if they pull you over they should ask for proof of ownership of all sleds.
HUH? so your telling me having a slide in camper is unsafe in the back of my truck with a heavier overhang than my sleds?
Mind you I've seen some pretty silly looking sled deck setups, like a 6 ft box and a 6 ft deck with a 163 hanging off the back.
As far as the factory fog lights you can us them as long as they go out when the high beams are activated, The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are the sleds the only thing they are woried about being tied down what about all the gas cans, tool boxes, brooms, boots. coats, helmets, all this can fly around also????

Giv'er

Reaction score
You have to remember what the intent of these laws are designed for.....if a someone wants to haul some long lumber or posts out of the back of a pickup, that is a definate safety concern. A rear end collision could put the other driver is serious danger. Do lights make it safer? maybe slightly. Is the back of a sled high up on a deck as dangerous? Obviously not, as the sled will easily move and has a lot of aluminum parts to break and give.

If a truck with a sled deck with all the extra marker lights is driving around, it's really obvious that this truck has a load and as another driver you compensate your position. Shifting loads....ok sure, but a sled hanging off the deck....come on.

About 10 yrs ago we came across a car that hit a moose 25 min south of vale at midnightish....we were staying at summit river lodge so that's why we were driving that road so late. Anyways, we sent one truck back to town for help and hack-sawed both passengers out of the car when the ambulance came. We were way down in the ditch in about 3 ft of snow rescueing these young kids and the cop never even came down to the car....neither did the paramedics! We hauled these kids up on spine boards and did everything we knew to try to keep one of these guys alive....again the cop did nothing......one of our guys even stayed with ambulance helping with the recesuation on the way to kamloops.

Are we all chior boys....no....but when good people like us volunteer our emergency efforts while the paid emergency folks stand around with with their thumbs up their buts.....only to later hand me a ticket for some bs infraction!...........:nono:

Of all the road accidents that I've heard of in the vale area, they have all been BC folks......I'm sure there has to be some that involve sledders but out of all the guys I know, I've never heard of one.

Granted, I will admit that there are alot more dillweeds out there sledding nowadays but educating responsibly without being complete aholes helps make a stronger community and everybody wins.

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as for loads hanging off the back, i would think that the logging trucks with the logs that are 10-20' off the rear of trailer poking right at ones windshield would be a bit more hazardous in a collision, or at least id take a sled over the spears:confused:, anyway everyone is starting to pick at straws here, this was just to inform people of what to be prepared for when going thru that area, we cant change the way they go about making their money in these little towns, and to compare how many people have been stopped in ab. for some of these simple revenue building fines?? thats my point, do you see everyone dying on alberta roads anymore than bc roads? cause of your breakaway battery is dead? please!!! the rcmp should have the same guide line rules in every province as they are the royal CANADIAN mounted police.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is an idea.....this website was started as an information SHARING site. we did that by telling you they were here. before you left home give that brake away system a check, if not working a cheap fix and 10 minutes of your time to make it safe and LEGAL, check stop for safty violations at the scale, pulled in and checked, on your way in a matter of minutes. if this were to happen more often and no tickets handed out they most likely would not tarket the sleds.
the amount of tickets handed out tells them that you as a sledding group don't think you have to comply so they will be back. I was in and out in a matter of minutes as they were only checking for safety violations, but I knew they were there so had my sleds tied down properly on my deck.
the key here is to remember.....they didn't just make these rules up on Wed. before a big event just to piss you off.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in my opinion, working brakes are more important in bc driving areas, due to major environmental driving conditions. some people just can't understand what that is , and law enforcement gives them the opportunity to pay as they learn. usually the only way some of the no minds will learn. after paying a few hard earned dollars they usually comply, and become safer without even knowing it. :rolleyes:

jwood99

Reaction score
! the rcmp should have the same guide line rules in every province as they are the royal CANADIAN mounted police.

that would work if they weren't enforcing the laws of individual province's, different province different guidelines/laws

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is really easy,follow the rules! Tie down your stuff properly,make sure your equipment works properly and you may get pulled over and be on your way in minutes...
OR..... you could lobby the government and seek out a ruling that would make all sledders exempt from all the highway rules.
Let us know which one is easiest..:d

SLEDHEAD 900RMK

Reaction score
HUH? so your telling me having a slide in camper is unsafe in the back of my truck with a heavier overhang than my sleds?
Mind you I've seen some pretty silly looking sled deck setups, like a 6 ft box and a 6 ft deck with a 163 hanging off the back.
As far as the factory fog lights you can us them as long as they go out when the high beams are activated, The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.

Capri give your head a shake. I think you are :confused: Your camper is balanced for more weight to the front even with the overhang. And a 9.5 to 11 foot campere is made for a 8 foot box not a 6.6 foot box. And i knew a guy that had a 6' 6" deck and he had to lean over the front of his sled while someone put hi super clamp on. He couldn't get off because his sled wanted to tip over backwards. I had a Super clamp fail. it broke at the hook. So can you imagine what would happen if one of these failed on that deck with that kind of overhang and balance. Mine broke on my 9' deck.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is really easy,follow the rules! Tie down your stuff properly,make sure your equipment works properly and you may get pulled over and be on your way in minutes...

Yah A person could do all of that and still get a fine if the cop decides to nitpick.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Capri give your head a shake. I think you are :confused: Your camper is balanced for more weight to the front even with the overhang. And a 9.5 to 11 foot campere is made for a 8 foot box not a 6.6 foot box. And i knew a guy that had a 6' 6" deck and he had to lean over the front of his sled while someone put hi super clamp on. He couldn't get off because his sled wanted to tip over backwards. I had a Super clamp fail. it broke at the hook. So can you imagine what would happen if one of these failed on that deck with that kind of overhang and balance. Mine broke on my 9' deck.

WOW!!! you better get your facts straight!! Your :confused:
I can put a 9.5 ft slide in camper in my shortbed truck, and I'm not even going to comment on the rest of what you wrote.

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah A person could do all of that and still get a fine if the cop decides to nitpick. How do we know that the cops are not good buddies with Weigel in blue.:d

Seriously???? I am pretty sure we live in Canada not Mexico....They are out looking for violations and making sure the highways are safe for everyone and their families.
If you really think the cops are out trying to buddy up with Weigel and shut down sledding by nitpicking sledders,perhaps you should call the news and let them know....:eek:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seriously???? I am pretty sure we live in Canada not Mexico....They are out looking for violations and making sure the highways are safe for everyone and their families.
If you really think the cops are out trying to buddy up with Weigel and shut down sledding by nitpicking sledders,perhaps you should call the news and let them know....:eek:
I was joking!!, I guess I'll delete that part than. Tough crowd, So you don't believe that lightning1000 getting a fine for a improperly routed breakaway cable is nitpicking?

wide_open

Reaction score
I haven't been on S and M for almost a year, and threads like this remind me why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom