Vacation Property House Plans

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
There will be sewer plumbing and 30 amp RV plug on that side that's why the house was moved 2' over on the west side. Then I will put the slab in this summer and backfill then put geotextile matting down and put recycled asphalt if I can find it. That's as far as I will get this year anyway. I will clear the lot, then do the foundation and plumbing, temp electrical, then backfill and put the driveway in. The lock up stage will be planned for next summer. Hopefully lumber prices will change by then.
I'd say 'they can't go up anymore' but I'd jinx it.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a weekend or vacation home I think it looks good, for what you are planning on using it for the garage will work for you sled and side by side, also as a gear drying room.(keep smell out of house) lol it's already increased in size from your original thoughts and plans which has increased the expense. When your going up to do work there let me know

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I started out with a 1200 ft plan I’m now at 1700 ft. Added a larger higher garage, an extra bathroom, mud room, made bedrooms a bit bigger. I did these for resale and for use ability. Some small things may be changed as things go on but by much. I may move a door over a bit if I find they may cause an issue.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe you need to bite the bullet and purchase the lot next door for future expansion? You seem to have a wide range of friends....

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started out with a 1200 ft plan I’m now at 1700 ft. Added a larger higher garage, an extra bathroom, mud room, made bedrooms a bit bigger. I did these for resale and for use ability. Some small things may be changed as things go on but by much. I may move a door over a bit if I find they may cause an issue.

I did the same when I built my get away place in Sicamous. Started out at 1400 sq feet no basement and 24 x 30 garage and ended up with 2000 sq ft and a developed basement. 5 bedroom 3.5 baths and 26 x 40 garage. liked it so much said screw it and retired to live in it Now looking for property to build bigger. It is a slippery slope.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Many of the lots on 9h ave have sold since October. I have a large decent acreage, lots of family and my own company with employees here, don’t plan on moving anytime soon. Just want an investment home that I can use for about 15 years. Hotels and restaurants are getting pricy and I’d rather save that money and put into property.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget a few things below:

-run security camera wiring around key locations
-wiring conduit to attic crawspace to utility
-internet? Wire for it before?

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Merely some suggestions kust because the plans were posted and this is what I also do for a living, but 2 things just to consider. You may not like having your powder room access off the kitchen as it's mainly for guests when you entertain or when you're cooking I assume and I noticed he has your washer dryer shown in a roughly 28 inch cabinet which is ambitious even with concealed boxes. That mud room area may feel cramped especially being as most people use that as their main access with the garage and the front door only for guests. Just an outsider looking in, if it works for you go for it.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What’s the extra cost of the sheeting and lumber at today’s prices to get into lockup phase???

The price of OSB and lumber are outrageous right now.

Last edited:

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
C774530F-9574-4ED7-99F9-3C29460D3EA8.jpg Pricing in a Vernon BC for medium size contractor , valid for three days

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep pretty pricy, and valid for 3 days lol. I will do the foundation this summer and see what happens to these prices. I would say this is a huge increase in costs.
I don't see it going down very rapidly either unfortunately...... Better start your own mill

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 234534Pricing in a Vernon BC for medium size contractor , valid for three days

I bought a few sheets of treated plywood yesterday. $100 a sheet for 5/8 and $112 a sheet for 3/4. Those are at a local yard and are typically cheaper than the box stores. Either way, quality on this and the 2x4's I bought were poor at best and I picked through the lifts!!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Builders and the end consumer are definitely feeling the crunch. Was at the lumber yard yesterday looking at lumber prices. And stamped lumber is a must. Before I can even apply for permits It is mandatory to take a course then write an exam in bc if you plan on building your own house. Even though I have a red seal journeyman carpenter certificate I still require successful completion of the course. That will take 30-45 days. And was through BC housing and was $425

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Builders and the end consumer are definitely feeling the crunch. Was at the lumber yard yesterday looking at lumber prices. And stamped lumber is a must. Before I can even apply for permits It is mandatory to take a course then write an exam in bc if you plan on building your own house. Even though I have a red seal journeyman carpenter certificate I still require successful completion of the course. That will take 30-45 days. And was through BC housing and was $425
That's crazy!

Top Bottom