Uhmw on jet boat.

phatboy07

Reaction score
Most competent builders put a protective layer between the QT steel and alum to prevent corrosion as they are dissimilar metals and will start to corrode. QT adds strength and will slide a little easier over the rocks, but at the cost of weight depending on how much you bolt on.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
slip kote wears off but is easily re-applied, tough to keep the boat on the trailer bunks though.... I havent heard either positive or negative speed numbers. If you're just looking for some center keel protection, IMO the QT-100 is the way to go. Easy to push, slides on gravel, protects keel well

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the sound of qt100 but the weight is a big factor for me. I already got an under power boat so weight is a big issue. My boat is lite not sure the weight so it don't take much to add high percentage of weight. I got a few months to think about it lol. I am missing boating already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the sound of qt100 but the weight is a big factor for me. I already got an under power boat so weight is a big issue. My boat is lite not sure the weight so it don't take much to add high percentage of weight. I got a few months to think about it lol. I am missing boating already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 13' just runs a 2' wide strip of UHMW on the center, works really well, obviously i can still hit the sides but it does protect it from the gravel bars. And it really doesn't weigh all that much.

Last edited:

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think mine is 1/4". I'll measure it Saturday. It's been tested LOTS and taken some major hits. Totally the best mod I've ever done to my boat.

Its definitely heavy ish, but so is UHMW

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I don't have a river boat, so this thread really doesn't pertain to me, but I find a lot of threads on S&M interesting so I read them anyway.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is QT100? I Googled it to no avail. Any pics?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a river boat, so this thread really doesn't pertain to me, but I find a lot of threads on S&M interesting so I read them anyway.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is QT100? I Googled it to no avail. Any pics?

QT-100 is a grade of steel where the QT simply means quenched and tempered and the “100” means 100,000 psi yield. QT-100 is the common name for this product but is also marketed under many other names such as T-1 or A514.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not many American boats/manufactures use teflon bottoms. The idea is to miss the rocks. Small boats like sport jets will some times use them as the bottoms tend to be thinner and not as strong. A keel strip is a good idea and if done correctly shouldn't cause cavitation issues however from some I have seen if installed wrong it may peel back causing handling and power problems. Definitely expect leaks though, any time you drill holes below the water line it will eventually leak.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not many American boats/manufactures use teflon bottoms. The idea is to miss the rocks. Small boats like sport jets will some times use them as the bottoms tend to be thinner and not as strong. A keel strip is a good idea and if done correctly shouldn't cause cavitation issues however from some I have seen if installed wrong it may peel back causing handling and power problems. Definitely expect leaks though, any time you drill holes below the water line it will eventually leak.

Wouldnt be much point putting Teflon on a small boat with a thin bottom, , you should keep that boat in the lake sounds like. We may do different types of boating but I enjoy the trips where the water is really skinny and clean, and you're gonna hit, a lot , if you can miss all the rocks, you don't need a little boat you can take a big boat , more comfortable, more people, more gear. The Teflon on the small boats , 14-15 and 16 footers just makes it easier to push back into the water and help slide a bit further over those between the water places. And the little boats I'm referring to are tough as nails, thick bottom multiple stringers and it absolutely amazes where they will go with little or no damage. That's what they're built for, tough as hell, light and small. kingfisher extreme, Firefish snapper, Risley bandit or Outback, that's what these boats are built for and they do it very well. And this IMO is the best use by far for a sport jet engine/pump , small light load, quick response relatively easy on fuel. Sport jets don't shine when utilized to haul or move heavy large bottom boats, not what they're designed for . We went on a couple trips this fall on a few smaller rivers and if there were 26000 rocks sticking out , I missed 12, and the boat and the plastic handled it fine. Different strokes for different folks but if you're spending to put plastic on a thin bottom boat in the anticipation of hitting rocks, keep your money and buy a different boat .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

BigBuckHunter

Reaction score
I agree Lenny. Remember this spot...not many light bottom boats wouldn't have had to go to the shop for a major overhaul afterwards...

Last edited:
Top Bottom