Type of helmet to get for sledding.

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need to get helmets for myself, the wife and kids, 8 & 4. Any suggestions? Kinda new to sledding and don't want to get helmets that will pizz me off!!! Any suggestions are welcome!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are the motocross helmets ok in the colder weather, say -25 to -30. Heard some say to only buy helmets made for sledding????

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride with only motocross helmets and have never had any issues...and they look better which is a good thing...lol!, for the kids I would look into getting helmet that have full face shields! Good luck happy shopping:d

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to admit, from what I've seen, they are nicer to look at. Don't really car for the fulll face ones for myself. Used to ride RM250 years ago. Like the motocross helmet.

lucm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When my kids were that age I bought them kids size motocross helmets that came with a full faceshield, or that could be replaced with a visor that came with it and then it was just like a motorcross helmet. We never used teh faceshields though......probably because "mom" wouldn't let me take the kids out when it was colder than -10.

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Type of helmet will be influenced by type of riding. I wear an MX style helmet in the mountains but I tend to get cold on the colder days on the prairies.(when there is enough snow to ride.) To minimize the effects of cold with a MX style make sure to get a breath deflector. This helps keep expelled air away from you goggles and helps keep the wind off of your face. Good idea to have your chosen balaclava with you when you are fitting your helmets. Also have both when fitting your goggles. Proper fitment of helmet/goggles will reduce the problems in the colder temps.

As stated you can get helmets that have a full shield that is removable and a visor is then installed to give you the MX style.

I also like using a Quick Strap on my goggles. This way when you take them off you know right where they are when you need to put them back on.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I Ice Raced for 6 years on bikes. I only used mx helmets, with a proper balaclava, and good quality googles. You'll be fine. Once you get into a little deeper powder riding, you will want to upgrade to a snow x-cross lid, or full face.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go with the MX style lid and good vented goggles for the whole fam damly. Closed face helmuts with lenses or sheilds fog up in all conditions and temps. Goggles are easy to defog and fog up way less. If you go with the MX style helmuts you have to use balaclavas even when the temps are mild. I always make my kids wear a balaclava under their helmuts, and I do as well.

Attachments

• 2007_0303Ministik-Knotts0028.jpg
    2007_0303Ministik-Knotts0028.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 39

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! All suggestions will really help. It is quite unnerving to see all of the helmets at the stores. Any further suggestions are welcome!!!

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what you do. I prefer my snow-x helmet and goggles under most mixed riding conditions. Balaclava and breath deflector a must for keeping forehead and nose warm. If I'm gonna spend the day kicking butt at 100mph+ on the lake, I need a full face helmet with a heated shield. The bill on the snow-x helmet gets caught in the wind and rips your head back and your goggles let too much air in at speed. When it's -20 or colder and I must ride, the full face is much more comfortable especially at speed. For a full day on the trails a modular helmet is a must have. Just flip her up when you need some beef jerky, a chocolate bar or some coke. Very practical for the smokers:nono: too.

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the full meal deal Modular with electric visor it wasnt cheap work well a bit heavy Going to try snow cross with breather nose piece and goggles and balaclava little lighter may save the poor old neck abit

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FXR and GMAX make a motorcross style that also comes with a full face shield for the colder days. Best of both worlds

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what you do. I prefer my snow-x helmet and goggles under most mixed riding conditions. Balaclava and breath deflector a must for keeping forehead and nose warm. If I'm gonna spend the day kicking butt at 100mph+ on the lake, I need a full face helmet with a heated shield. The bill on the snow-x helmet gets caught in the wind and rips your head back and your goggles let too much air in at speed. When it's -20 or colder and I must ride, the full face is much more comfortable especially at speed. For a full day on the trails a modular helmet is a must have. Just flip her up when you need some beef jerky, a chocolate bar or some coke. Very practical for the smokers:nono: too.
Haha, laughed when I read the smoking thing, just inn case his little ones smoke!!!!

Agree though with most of these, you can't really go wrong with most the helmets out there. I would suggest a child size MX helmet, maybe HJC or a common brand like that to help with costs and still get a quality helmet. It won't take long to outgrow them, so don't overspend on them as they will only be around for a while....

yamadoo

Reaction score
cant add much more than whats above but highly recommend chest protectors for everyone! kids safer on tubes and such.happy shopping:)

Top Bottom