Turbo XMs

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a '14 with a TSS running 8psi on 100% av gas and a 3'' track. Its by far the funnest sled I have owned. I also liked the idea of supporting a Canadian turbo builder.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here a question now maxxwell? Boondocker or aerocharger? let hear opionion on whitch is better

I've been dying to try out an aero charger but I have ridden a boondocker xp etec and it was a blast. Ran very clean and crisp. Still had a bit of bottom end lag but I'm sure a guy could get used to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been dying to try out an aero charger but I have ridden a boondocker xp etec and it was a blast. Ran very clean and crisp. Still had a bit of bottom end lag but I'm sure a guy could get used to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Hmm... im wondering if there would be much of a difference... i mean either way u are boosted so either way its bad ass. i think boondockers fuel controller and programming has aeros beat. but aero has the oil less variable vane. with has boondocker beat.

Ive ridden the aero but have yet to ride a boondocker. but im gunna go out on a limb here and say is gunna be the same...?

I will say boondockers kit is 5700 inter-cooled.. and aeros kit is 6300 uninter-cooled.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to have you back FredW. I think you should try it with the oil injection put back on? Will it be ready to go for YamaFest? Also do you plan to race it in the WCHA race?

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oil less variable vane is cool technology but expensive to fix if something goes wrong with it(ingestion, ect) I ran a 66 aero and was very happy with it but a properly set up boondocker will go toe to toe with it any day.
Hmm... im wondering if there would be much of a difference... i mean either way u are boosted so either way its bad ass. i think boondockers fuel controller and programming has aeros beat. but aero has the oil less variable vane. with has boondocker beat.

Ive ridden the aero but have yet to ride a boondocker. but im gunna go out on a limb here and say is gunna be the same...?

I will say boondockers kit is 5700 inter-cooled.. and aeros kit is 6300 uninter-cooled.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oil less variable vane is cool technology but expensive to fix if something goes wrong with it(ingestion, ect) I ran a 66 aero and was very happy with it but a properly set up boondocker will go toe to toe with it any day.

define properly set up? i also noticed u can have different turbo set us in the boodocker kit as well. im seriously torn between witch one to go with? and is it common and aero turbo piles up? i havent read anything on that yet.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Common no, but snow ingestion can happen. I had a very small tear in my intake screen after hitting a tree, sucked a small piece of ice. Amazing what a little piece of ice will do to aluminum when it is spinning at that speed. This would destroy any turbo but it just seems that the lead time on aerocharger compressor repairs and parts are very long. When I say properly set up I mean mostly fueling and unfortunately most of the poor running turbos out there have uneducated owners in terms of tuning.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Common no, but snow ingestion can happen. I had a very small tear in my intake screen after hitting a tree, sucked a small piece of ice. Amazing what a little piece of ice will do to aluminum when it is spinning at that speed. This would destroy any turbo but it just seems that the lead time on aerocharger compressor repairs and parts are very long. When I say properly set up I mean mostly fueling and unfortunately most of the poor running turbos out there have uneducated owners in terms of tuning.

u know i actually found myself thinking yesterday about this... how tdo aerochargers not get damaged with only that little cone over the intake of it!?

i also wanted to ask..... do you need to have motor work done for these kits? or are the just bolt on and go? i was told today that the motor has to have a bunch of work done to it in order to run a turbo?????? any explantion on this would be great

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The little screen cone works fine keeping stuff out! As well aerocharger has a hybrid air filter setup. I will admit it looks gofer, but it works. Keeps significant heat out of the intake side as well snow ingestion which was a problem at times. I still would like to see a filter installed but maybe this is just a old school train of thought. One should keep in mind that no production skidoo has a proper filter installed on it from factory.

as for head work it is recommended for 8psi or more. Some run more without head work.

our aerocharger is working great. 5lbs and it start building boost at 4500rpm. All in at 5500 depending of aggression of throttle. One big improvement was we just changed out to boyesen turbo specific reeds. Would highly recommend these to anyone running a turbo. Makes for a much more crisp throttle response and boost on/off situations. The stock ones expand as they are rubber, just less void to fill with the boyesen. Pain in the ass to install with a snow/air intercooler.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if you staying below 7lbs you dont need the head work.... correct?
and the new aero kits come with reeds.... is this supposed to rectify that problem or are the other ones still better.

Another question for u turbo boys..... if running such low boost and inter cooler shouldn't be needed..... or is it better to have the air/ snow inter cooler? and why?

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's always better to have an intercooler, once you start compressing air it starts to heat up in rapid Fashion, once you start sending heated air to your motor you start to run the risk of detonation sooner. Having an intercooler your application will be more efficient running cooler/more consistent charge temps creating more horsepower from less boost, which is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmm interesting. thanks for all the info brother.

so i had another conversation with an aero dealer and he told me to go aero over boondocker because boondocker needs a whole bunch of extra stuff to run rite?

and do u think if i waited till the sled show i can get a bit of a deal on a kit!?

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmm interesting. thanks for all the info brother.

so i had another conversation with an aero dealer and he told me to go aero over boondocker because boondocker needs a whole bunch of extra stuff to run rite?

and do u think if i waited till the sled show i can get a bit of a deal on a kit!?

Hmmm... an dealer told you to buy his product over a compeditors, wierd :).
No experience with the boondocker kit, but rode with aero and TSS, both worked awesome. Like any turbo kit, once you get it dialed they all work good, best suggestion is use a dealer close to your riding areas or home and that has a good reputation for helping customers when issues come up.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well thats just the thing... after spending 6 grand of wutever.. i dont want to have any issues.. all i want is pull an go... no BS. I can understand maybe the first ride tinkering around with it.. but after that i dont want any more crap.... just fun.

I kinda figure that was them tryin push their product lol

Aero is a big name for boosted doo's .... as for tss is just way to much cash for the same set up as an aero or boondocker.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well thats just the thing... after spending 6 grand of wutever.. i dont want to have any issues.. all i want is pull an go... no BS. I can understand maybe the first ride tinkering around with it.. but after that i dont want any more crap.... just fun.

I kinda figure that was them tryin push their product lol

Aero is a big name for boosted doo's .... as for tss is just way to much cash for the same set up as an aero or boondocker.

The TSS kit is $8k installed with water to air ready to run up to 12 psi on avgas? This includes set up and support after the fact. What kind of cheese are you looking at with Aero with water to air and install? Factor in a $hitty Canadian dollar you're likely getting fairly close in price.

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the turbo world you get what you pay for, go out and get a cheapy 5-6k turbo and you might just be banging your head against a tree while waiting for the roflchopter to come pull you out of some chity way down drainage. Then wishing you went with the more expensive kit and saved money in the end.

I can't speak for aero and boondockers as I've never owned one before and they do have a lot of happy customers, but I've heard a lot of stories that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. Spend some time on the turbo forums and see what kind of info you can pick up on each kit and it will help you make your decision in the end.

As for a true pull and go turbo I'm not sure this exist, from what I seen nothing's 100% pull and go but my Tss was pretty damn close. They will have the boost it box dialed right from the shop and you won't have to tune anything, you might have to move a couple hose clamps around but that's seriously minor. If you do have any problems with it they will gladly take it back and get it dialed for you or even go riding with you for a day and give you the run down on it,what other kit maker besides tss and Boost-it does this? This is the props of going local. It's either this or being left hangin by yourself sending out emails trying to get an answer for some customer service in a different country

Last edited:

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me personally I would choose either tss or aero period. I like my aero cuz I can put the sled back to stock with the aero kit no problem. Also complete install w/snow to air, clutching, reeds, venting and install takes me 12 hours approx. Now that i've installed it and removed it three times lol. Both kits have pros and cons. I think tss has better electronics and major mountain experience and uses generic turbos that are readily available. Aero has worked with brp racing to build as close to a factory sanctioned kit as your gonna get. Aero kits can be do it yourself are fairly basic to install and tune, tss no, they wanna do it so no install problems. I have run aero from the beginning of etec kits, had some major ups and downs with it. but over all on the 2011 I logged 2500km at 6lbs with no intercooler before rod failure. Time will tell with the xm. Make sure when you do install you get your oil pump turned up by brp. Something they dont tell you in the instructions.

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me personally I would choose either tss or aero period. I like my aero cuz I can put the sled back to stock with the aero kit no problem. Also complete install w/snow to air, clutching, reeds, venting and install takes me 12 hours approx. Now that i've installed it and removed it three times lol. Both kits have pros and cons. I think tss has better electronics and major mountain experience and uses generic turbos that are readily available. Aero has worked with brp racing to build as close to a factory sanctioned kit as your gonna get. Aero kits can be do it yourself are fairly basic to install and tune, tss no, they wanna do it so no install problems. I have run aero from the beginning of etec kits, had some major ups and downs with it. but over all on the 2011 I logged 2500km at 6lbs with no intercooler before rod failure. Time will tell with the xm. Make sure when you do install you get your oil pump turned up by brp. Something they dont tell you in the instructions.

I must say buddy your areocharger woes post gave me the hebeegeebee's you have way more patients then me lol

Top Bottom