Turbo vs big bore debate

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Goldfish are awesome...
1160 engines need to go away....they had zero reliability.. If by a small chance they were good wouldn't every single person still be over boring scrap iron... Go change a water pump or something.. Mom and dad are trying to talk.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Goldfish are awesome...
1160 engines need to go away....they had zero reliability.. If by a small chance they were good wouldn't every single person still be over boring scrap iron... Go change a water pump or something.. Mom and dad are trying to talk.

LOL you don't know what you are talking about!! 1160s were awesome for the 16 seconds they ran.....

Ok seriously - like the dinosaurs, the 1160 is extinct. the 1160 was just a fad, like acid wash jeans or the watercraft motor. I'd rather ride a 1976 TnT because they are easier to find parts for. Last I heard the "infamous" 1160 needed a crankcase anyway............don't get sucked in, the 1160 was recycled and has been made into trash cans and aluminum rims for the ricer crowd.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think the sled exists anymore. The motor is running a leaf blower for the City of Edmonton, and the rest is scrap after Big Bertha had her way with it. LHF, to prove it's even on this earth you need to post a pic with today's paper laying on the tank. :)

butters

Reaction score
Dons speed parts wainwright, no boost or egts gauges. (I watch max boost on the bd box every ride) 5 pounds boost is plenty. It takes me places that i chicken out of before the sled does. I had an M1000 with full exhaust, and other goodies previously.M8 turbo pulls way harder and feels lighter, I havent thought about the added weight to tell you the truth. it doesnt feel heavier anyway. I run 10 liters of 110 octane per tank of fuel and i havent had a glitch. No messing with clutching either, its good for all elevations.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats kind of a problem with some of those late 90's Union bay and PSI big bores,,where do you get parts?
I think Union bay is still around,Not sure about PSI.I had a Union Bay BB and it was sweet back in the day. My 880xp
broke down a mile from the truck last year in revy and my friend had a spare sled,,an old mountain magic Polaris ultra with a PSI big bore,so i rode it and I spanked brand new sleds all day with that thing(including my friend that lent me the sled's turbo pro),,guys laughed when they seen it but after they saw it go they would ask me "Is that thing turboed?" I just laughed... I wouldnt want to ride that F##kin thing 2days in a row tho...lol

Friend of my dad had a 1800cc PSI motor with dial a dome heads,,, You could change the compresion from 12to1 to 18to1 in 5mins on the hill.. 350hp Naturally aspirated.. It was rediculous,,that was dam near 15years ago,kinda hard to get parts these days i would imagine.

Some of that old ch!t made some serious power but if you cant get parts for it,its worthless. As far as new big bores go Ive had some pretty shitty luck with them...lol Pretty hard to ride a stock sled after you,ve had something with more Jam tho..

Good luck

Last edited:

Boostmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a PSI 995 in my 04 800 RMK with dial a dom heads, Great motor had over 3500 miles on it problem free. But i am still going turbo on my new pro, Hard for me to Justify the power/dollar cost of a BB vs Turbo. As for tuning? this will be my first turbo 2 stroke but I am sure with the products that are out there and the amount of ppl who are running them I should be able to get my T-pro pretty darn close to stocker reliability.

IMO
Boostmonkey

go green

Reaction score
I see this debate is race car forums also . On one hand you have a turbo 410CID small block making 2000HP or a 844CID NA Nitrous engine making 2000HP. The easy answer is that a turbo or forced air application will always rule over a big NA combination even with nitrous added into the equation . Just look at the weight breaks that NA nitrous cars get in heads up racing .
Like it was said earlier in this thread if you ride in the hills and want more power just add a turbo . The loss of power by way of elevation can be made up through boost , whereas a NA combination will always have to spin harder and have more displacement to make up for the altitude . The sled that are coming of the show room floors nowadays are nothing short of amazing , with a little more power they are obnoxious :)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats kind of a problem with some of those late 90's Union bay and PSI big bores,,where do you get parts?
I think Union bay is still around,Not sure about PSI.I had a Union Bay BB and it was sweet back in the day. My 880xp
broke down a mile from the truck last year in revy and my friend had a spare sled,,an old mountain magic Polaris ultra with a PSI big bore,so i rode it and I spanked brand new sleds all day with that thing(including my friend that lent me the sled's turbo pro),,guys laughed when they seen it but after they saw it go they would ask me "Is that thing turboed?" I just laughed... I wouldnt want to ride that F##kin thing 2days in a row tho...lol

Friend of my dad had a 1800cc PSI motor with dial a dome heads,,, You could change the compresion from 12to1 to 18to1 in 5mins on the hill.. 350hp Naturally aspirated.. It was rediculous,,that was dam near 15years ago,kinda hard to get parts these days i would imagine.

Some of that old ch!t made some serious power but if you cant get parts for it,its worthless. As far as new big bores go Ive had some pretty shitty luck with them...lol Pretty hard to ride a stock sled after you,ve had something with more Jam tho..

Good luck

PSI is out of business and Union Bay got bought by Fastrax. Neither company is making parts anymore. Hooper is still making big big big bores, but apart from that there are not too many around anymore.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah not surprised they are gone now,, sleds kinda took a diffent direction away from the big tripples in the last decade,,,With the new HO 4strokes yamaha came out with in the early 2000's turbos became a reliabe option and with the new rider forward sleds.. Kinda hard to fit a triple, with triple pipes in a new Xp...

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah not surprised they are gone now,, sleds kinda took a diffent direction away from the big tripples in the last decade,,,With the new4stoke tecnology yamaha came out with in the early 2000's turbos became a reliabe option and with the new rider forward sleds.. Kinda hard to fit a triple, with triple pipes in a new Xp...

It wasn't about fitment, Specialty sleds stuffed a 809 triple/triple in a Rev and AC sticks the 1100T in the same chassis as the 800. If an 1100 4 stroke fits, a triple will fit. Its about manufacturing cost. Triples are too costly to manufactuer. Twins are much cheaper and make more torque at lower rpm, therefore easier to clutch, and most don't require a balance shaft like triples. Eliminating the expensive-to-produce triple brought the manufacturing price down, so they make more profit off the consumer. Triples were used for years in watercraft (de-tuned a little) with great reliability.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It wasn't about fitment, Specialty sleds stuffed a 809 triple/triple in a Rev and AC sticks the 1100T in the same chassis as the 800. If an 1100 4 stroke fits, a triple will fit. Its about manufacturing cost. Triples are too costly to manufactuer. Twins are much cheaper and make more torque at lower rpm, therefore easier to clutch, and most don't require a balance shaft like triples. Eliminating the expensive-to-produce triple brought the manufacturing price down, so they make more profit off the consumer. Triples were used for years in watercraft (de-tuned a little) with great reliability.

Yeah that makes sense,, to bad the manufacturers dont pass the savings on to us,,but i guess they need to make money just like every one else...

I personally kinda miss the sound of a wound out tripple up on the mountain
:beer:

Last edited:

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a BB. While it does go well it is no turbo. I think if you were going BB expecting to go like NM's boosted pro or one of burandts or similar you will be disappointed. That being said to date it has been pull and go like a stocker. I do run race gas mix so that is kind of chitty added expense but it's nice to be able to lay the smack down on the stockers. I have been told i can buy a different head to run pump gas but figure it was set up this way for a reason so just accept the added cost. I bought mine used so didn't incur the direct cost but agree it is expensive for ~15-20% HP bump.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still got a triple/triple in the garage if anyone wants one..... :D coming up for sale this week, cheapy cheapy. 162 X 2.5" track, thing sounds bad ass and flat out moves. No time to ride it anymore. Love the sound of it when the pipes come alive, going to miss her.

Top Bottom