Turbo vs big bore debate

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This debate is never ending but I have a buddy with a lightly modded m8, a second with an m7 abd a third with an m1000 all trying to decide which way to go, is there a difference depending on each machine? All ride 98% mountains and buying a poo or doo are not options or desires of any of them so I don't care about your etec and I already know the bikemen 880 is badass there's two in my group and the boondocker pump on a pro is pretty sweet so now that's outta th way any input regarding the cats mentioned will be greatly appreciated;)

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like big bores! Turbos are getting old, I would like one but it seems like every other guy has one. And most of them only have one to be cool.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The draw I'm seeing is the altitude hp with the turbo, personally the 8 turbo I had was way too much sled for me but a 7 turbo would be about right, bb seem more reliable to me but I'm still fairly new to the sport really

butters

Reaction score
Should be a no brainer if you're riding 98 percent in the hills. A turbo kit on a 2 stroke maintains the horsepower at altitude. A big bore kit will just get you back at stock horsepower by the time you are up high. In the flat land a bb might be more effective. i run an 09 m8 with boon docker pump gas turbo, keep it at 5 pounds boost and dont f*$k with it. Runs like a champ no reliability issues

b_doornenbal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a stong running 2008 M1000 (pipe, clutch,3inch, air ETC) but similar HP to the 800 BB's, I also have a 2009 M8 race gas turbo, both 162 3inch tracks. Last year when I got the turbo I could leave it at home it was way too much fun!! That said in spring snow conditions I left it at home, running at 70+ MPH in spring snow just was not fun.

Both sleds have there place and in 2 feet of fresh snow or tree ridding I like the turbo....checking out new areas with marginal snow or ridding with buddies that do not have turbos I use the M1000

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run a bb (5 seasons now) with 3". Pretty much all pump gas turbo setups i am right there with them. race gas they are ahead of me in regards to 800cc's. Alot of the comparison is rider dependent. Personnally you cant beat the bottom end torque of the big bore when doing technical stuff in the trees. On the other end we had a 1150BB run with us last year. That thing would stomp on mild race gas M8 setups. And bottom end torque was a completly diffrent thing, you idled up in the trees it seemed like. When racing they would be neck and neck for 200ft and then the 1150 would just pull. my vote is BB:beer:

i find torque and working the trees give you alot more control, especially when it is lower rpm stuff.

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are riding at 10000 ft plus you would really notice the power loss of the BB. But you're not. You ride at 7500 ft at the highest. The BB has instant throttle response and it will take you places that you don't want to go.

If you're planning on runninga turbo at 8psi or less, you're wasting your money buying a turbo.

And for anyone that says BB won't go where a turbo goes tell that to Cory micku

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all about $$$$
No need to sugar coat it. If you can't afford a turbo, then don't get it. If you can, then do! If you don't like it, then just buy another sled and have both.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This debate is never ending but I have a buddy with a lightly modded m8, a second with an m7 abd a third with an m1000 all trying to decide which way to go, is there a difference depending on each machine? All ride 98% mountains and buying a poo or doo are not options or desires of any of them so I don't care about your etec and I already know the bikemen 880 is badass there's two in my group and the boondocker pump on a pro is pretty sweet so now that's outta th way any input regarding the cats mentioned will be greatly appreciated;)

There is a huge difference in the sleds and the way each of them can go.

The 800, most proven motor out there, takes a turbo well and even at lower boost will put a big leg up on the other sleds.

The M7, I would big bore just because there just aren't the turbo kits out there for it. Speedwerx has some really nice kits for this sled, nice sleeper kits that look stock but will stomp any of the competitions 800's out of the box.

The 1000 I would big bore also. 1200cc big bore, loads of torque with that setup. Also can turbo but I've seen more tempermental T1000s than I have BB 1200s. Make no mistake the 1200 BB does not make the same HP as a T1000 at respectable boost levels, but the throttle response and torque of the 1200 will be more noticeable (IMO).

It really depends on the style of riding they are doing (and what time of year) though and that determine what might be a better setup, but keep in mind each guy rides differently. They need to try both types of sleds before making the final decision. If they spend the majority of their time running the hills, or they need big power to get up the hill, then a race gas turbo setup is the way to go IMO. If they spend their time boondocking and rarely stab the big stuff or dont care who is king of the hill, then a BB is the way to go IMO. You wouldn't want a race gas sled @ 14 lbs in the trees, but once it gets spooled on the bigger stuff, look out. I have a BB and agree with Oler, BB for the torque and throttle response in the trees and this would be my choice just because its my preferred riding style.

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One big thing for you to consider is what do all your friends ride? If they are all on stockers and then you have a turbo, you'll get bored of the hills they are playing on. Once I had mine running right you'd be amazed at how many hills I would have used to play on for hour that I ride right by now knowing that I will make it to the top easily. I think that is why Paradise was such a bore for me when we rode there last year whereas if i had my old 700 it would have been a blast.

The competetive edge is fun when it's close. Take a big bore vs a stocker and it's a lot more fun than a turbo vs a stocker. and it's more fun for all your friends too.

Last thing is MONEY! I can add up how much has been spent on my sled one day and throw in another 5k for this year. Look how much has been spent on brad and Aric's BB. be lucky if there's been $1000 spent on both for the last few years. Add in race fuel at $4 a litre, vs a splash of 100LL per tank for the BB and the cost skyrockets.

Modman's last paragraph puts it well. Yes you can ride in the trees at 18psi, but it's still not as responsive as a well running BB. It's too bad my drivers stripped out in Beavercreek. You could have tried it out and seen the difference.

Boostmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One big thing for you to consider is what do all your friends ride? If they are all on stockers and then you have a turbo, you'll get bored of the hills they are playing on. Once I had mine running right you'd be amazed at how many hills I would have used to play on for hour that I ride right by now knowing that I will make it to the top easily. I think that is why Paradise was such a bore for me when we rode there last year whereas if i had my old 700 it would have been a blast.

The competetive edge is fun when it's close. Take a big bore vs a stocker and it's a lot more fun than a turbo vs a stocker. and it's more fun for all your friends too.

Last thing is MONEY! I can add up how much has been spent on my sled one day and throw in another 5k for this year. Look how much has been spent on brad and Aric's BB. be lucky if there's been $1000 spent on both for the last few years. Add in race fuel at $4 a litre, vs a splash of 100LL per tank for the BB and the cost skyrockets.

Modman's last paragraph puts it well. Yes you can ride in the trees at 18psi, but it's still not as responsive as a well running BB. It's too bad my drivers stripped out in Beavercreek. You could have tried it out and seen the difference.

I agree with the above statement, being the only guy with a turbo in a group of stockers or slightly modded sleds can be a big PITA. You will have much more fun with your buddies when you all have sleds with roughly the same capabilities, Then it’s about the rider… food for thought.
Boostmonkey

clifford the big red dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Good conversation boys and I will say that I put a pump gas on my polaris and haven't stopped grinning since. there is no replacement for displacement, try everything out before you decide, Most inportant thing is the guy that did the r and d, he has to know what he is talking about because when it doesn't work he will be your first call for help

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and how do you know where I ride? maybe you should tell the guys I'm talking about your opinion cause they didn't learn last time we had a debate(extreme performance) and after doing some research they have came to similar conclusions hahaha
If you are riding at 10000 ft plus you would really notice the power loss of the BB. But you're not. You ride at 7500 ft at the highest. The BB has instant throttle response and it will take you places that you don't want to go.

If you're planning on runninga turbo at 8psi or less, you're wasting your money buying a turbo.

And for anyone that says BB won't go where a turbo goes tell that to Cory micku

Last edited:

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
think timber you're still the only turbo in the group and that thing was ridiculous not running right last year, I could see how it'd take the fun outta a lot of things though, for me it was scary and fun as hell but only rode it a few times, the bb kits are definitely king for reliable power in the group but they also had some pretty major help from a pretty game builder when building them, for me I think you guys sold me on the BB for my 800, probably pass on buying the TM7 as a backup the gf should have reverse and a turbo even on a small machine isn't a great starter sled, now to see if Kev, Trev and Kent go bb or T with the M8's and M1, thanks for all the input and not spamming my thread up, this could be a first really;)

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thread lots of good insight. I loved the clip of Micku saying I wanted to take a normally aspirated machine and take it where only turbo's had gone befroe. He did and then some with BB and some giggle gas.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run a bb (5 seasons now) with 3". Pretty much all pump gas turbo setups i am right there with them. race gas they are ahead of me in regards to 800cc's. Alot of the comparison is rider dependent. Personnally you cant beat the bottom end torque of the big bore when doing technical stuff in the trees. On the other end we had a 1150BB run with us last year. That thing would stomp on mild race gas M8 setups. And bottom end torque was a completly diffrent thing, you idled up in the trees it seemed like. When racing they would be neck and neck for 200ft and then the 1150 would just pull. my vote is BB:beer:

i find torque and working the trees give you alot more control, especially when it is lower rpm stuff.
Prepare to be slammed.

Top Bottom