Turbo Help Please

Dougie

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the turbo world. I just bought a 2010 garrett turboed Ski doo.Not an E tec. Any Advice or opinions would be helpful. I was told I could run pumped gas up to 5 PSI boost and after that I need a mix. What mixing ratios am I needing and at what PSI boost ?. Should I be adjusting fuel ratio or does this beast auto adjust??"The adjusting knob into the carb intake boot is for idle adjust or for fuel mixture ? Any other issues I should be aware of ? I just dont want to grenade this thing first time out. My fuel pressure gauge should be reading What for PSI ?? I know ,all these questions
!! I really need to educate myself. Thanks for any help. You rock.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only guy I know that can get a not etec turbo running good is Dean from mad Motorsports in Leduc. Give him a call he's a good guy and will help you out. Also lilduke on here had a turbo for a brief time he might have a tip or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"The adjusting knob into the carb intake boot is for idle adjust or for fuel mixture ? Any other issues I should be aware of ? I just dont want to grenade this thing first time out. My fuel pressure gauge should be reading What for PSI ??

Got any pictures of the adjuster knob? Sounds like it may be proJets, but hard to say without looking at it.

Fuel pressure should be around 3psi at idle. It needs to be boost referenced, meaning it increases with boost pressure pound for pound.

eg if fuel pressure is 3psi@ 0psi boost, it should be 8psi@ 5psi boost,,, 10psi@ 7psi boost. ext

Good luck, kinda need to know some things to make a carb turbo work.

Last edited:

Dougie

Reaction score
Thanks Lilduke. What about % race gas and at what level of boost ? Just a general guideline would be nice. Sounds like you dont have a whole lot of
faith in the carbed turbos. Are they grenades with the pins pulled or what ?? Should I be expecting shrapnel under the hood???

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lilduke. What about % race gas and at what level of boost ? Just a general guideline would be nice. Sounds like you dont have a whole lot of
faith in the carbed turbos. Are they grenades with the pins pulled or what ?? Should I be expecting shrapnel under the hood???

I just ran straight AV gas (7lbs boost). Naw they can run good, you have to be mechanically inclined though, you will be under the hood lots.

But chit can go south pretty quick, haha maybe run a little on the rich side at first.

Last edited:

Dougie

Reaction score
Any more I should know? Should I be running straight AV gas ? Any maintenance ? What is the most reliable boost to run 7-8 PSI ?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any more I should know? Should I be running straight AV gas ? Any maintenance ? What is the most reliable boost to run 7-8 PSI ?

7-8lbs boost is a good amount for a Carb turbo setup id say. No sense mixing the AV gas IMO, not that much more than premium and too high of Octane is better
than too low!

Main thing is familiarise yourself with how it all works and its parts ext because you will be working on it,,, on the hill most likely.

Cheers Dan:beer:

Dougie

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Also What fuel to air # (mix) on the gauge should I be looking for ? Where should I keep it ?? Any other tips ? Do I need to adjust the fuel mixture myself or does it auto adjust ?? Thanks in advance! Doug.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Also What fuel to air # (mix) on the gauge should I be looking for ? Where should I keep it ?? Any other tips ? Do I need to adjust the fuel mixture myself or does it auto adjust ?? Thanks in advance! Doug.

I never have ran an air fuel gauge before, so I can't help you with that. I ran EGTS on mine. I grew up with EGTS, so that's what makes sense to me.

And yes you need to adjust the fuel mixture yourself. If it has projets(and it probably does) its pretty easy to do.

Last edited:

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has there been any internal engine work done for boost ? Porting and Head work?? There is a significant difference between naturally aspirated and boost built engines which will all play a factor in what fuel you can run and how much boost you can run.

Deano

Mad Motorsports

780-986-6370

Top Bottom