07 M6 Repair

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this should be over in the AC section but it’s crickets over there. Anyone on here handy with the old M’s? Bought an 07 M6 for my now 13 year old daughter. The problem is that it has a bad bog on the low end. Once she’s into some RPM it’s fine. Things I’ve tried.

1. Replaced the secondary. The old one seemed hour glassed so I thought I had it figured out but it still bogs. Primary seems ok but I’m also not the expert. What should I be looking for in worn out clutches?
2. Cleaned and adjusted the APV valves.
3. Belt alignment is good. I should check the deflection though.
4. Compression test showed 135 psi on both sides.
5. Ran both premium and regular fuel.

Any ideas? I’ve been told maybe a reed valve? Thanks for any input guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sticking oil pump. Had a Cat 600 do that and found out others were having a similar issue. Some people were cutting the springs shorter to give it more tension. I found a really good cleaning of the spring, shaft, etc. helped some.

flatspeed

Reaction score
Definitely check the reeds, thats what was causing my low end bog. Unfortunately it’s a bit of a job, need to remove the plastic intake thats kind of buried and swing the throttle bodies out of the way.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
-I would check the belt deflection should sit pretty high in secondary. (Probably not the problem)

-check the rollers in the primary see if they roll smoothly and freely, check the weights for no worn out sections from a seized or partly seized roller. Also check for no cracks in the spider.

-I know the M7 was supposed to run regular 87 octane fuel. It also had a one wire plug up by the ECU to unplug if you were running ethanol fuel.

-some m7's were having problems with putting an aftermarket can on, not sure if an issue on the m6. Some just ran the best with a stock can

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-I would check the belt deflection should sit pretty high in secondary. (Probably not the problem)

-check the rollers in the primary see if they roll smoothly and freely, check the weights for no worn out sections from a seized or partly seized roller. Also check for no cracks in the spider.

-I know the M7 was supposed to run regular 87 octane fuel. It also had a one wire plug up by the ECU to unplug if you were running ethanol fuel.

-some m7's were having problems with putting an aftermarket can on, not sure if an issue on the m6. Some just ran the best with a stock can

Thank you. I’ll check all that stuff. I wondered about the can. It’s definitely an aftermarket can but I can’t see any markings on it.

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely check the reeds, thats what was causing my low end bog. Unfortunately it’s a bit of a job, need to remove the plastic intake thats kind of buried and swing the throttle bodies out of the way.

What exactly am I looking for? They look pretty good to me unless I’m missing something?

a1db1974444d09ca3642d2441d0a553a.jpg

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hold them up to the light, you're looking for a large gap between the reed petals and the cage, most reeds have a max spec that you can roughly check with a feeler gauge (I think Boysen recommends 0.015"). Obviously cracked or chipped reeds necessitates replacement.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Are you using an aftermarket can? It's always been a problem on the 600/700 Mseries sleds. I had a 05' M7 and had an aftermarket can and it didn't like it.

If it's never had the primary spring changed, i'd be looking at replacing it. They're a little touchy with not having as much power.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You run premium fuel? Those old m6, m7 and even the m1000 only need regular fuel. My wife’s m7 would fall on its face with premium fuel. Put regular fuel and runs a 100%. That sled had 6000miles on it and no issues do to fuel. Had a bad head gasket once but not fuel related

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you using an aftermarket can? It's always been a problem on the 600/700 Mseries sleds. I had a 05' M7 and had an aftermarket can and it didn't like it.

If it's never had the primary spring changed, i'd be looking at replacing it. They're a little touchy with not having as much power.

I’m just running the can that it came with which I’m pretty sure is aftermarket. I’ve wondered if that could be it. Hopefully I can track down a used stock can to try.

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You run premium fuel? Those old m6, m7 and even the m1000 only need regular fuel. My wife’s m7 would fall on its face with premium fuel. Put regular fuel and runs a 100%. That sled had 6000miles on it and no issues do to fuel. Had a bad head gasket once but not fuel related

I’ve always ran premium in all my small engines, including this sled. Someone did tell me this same thing so I tried a tank or 2 of regular but it didn’t seem to help.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve always ran premium in all my small engines, including this sled. Someone did tell me this same thing so I tried a tank or 2 of regular but it didn’t seem to help.

Ok I thought I’d mention it. My m1000 wasn’t to bad but ran way better on regular but the wife’s m7 was bad. Was hard to drive in the hills. I bought it used for a really good deal and I think that’s why. I talked to a dealer and they told my to try regular. Was the easiest fix ever lol.

revdog

Reaction score
Had a bog in a M7 with half a tank of fuel.Fill the tank and the bog was gone.
Removed the fuel pick up and found loose clamps on the pick lines.Reclamped and no more bog.

Top Bottom