Turbo G4 850

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Msm how did the dj kit work? Im curious to know.

i have one trip on it. so far its pretty good id say. it ate another gates carbon c12 belt, so i put a 391 back in it and the 391 help up to a full day of wot abuse in about 4-5 ft or fresh.. so thats a better.... but the clutches do still get hotter then i would like.

this p 85 thing interests me a little bit, because from what i understand they are supposed to be quicker.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i remember you you saying that the team is no good on a doo? in order for it to work you need a p 85? how would a p85 work with a qrs?

We tested the team with stock primary.
Then we tested the team with the p85.
We compared them to the stock set up.
We did this all on the same trip and same riding conditions and snow loads. We found that the belt heat and clutches temp was lower with the team at stock primary from the stock clutches, but the difference with team and p85 was a lot cooler from team and stock primary. So the difference from stock clutches tempature and belt heat was night and day difference with the team and p85.
But with the team and p85 we had to re gear the sled as we found it was loosing on top end but launched hard out of the hole and was 2-3 lengths faster but by the time you got half way up the climb the stock was caught up. We re geared it and the set up with p85 and made a huge difference on top end and still pulled hard from the hole shot. This was the best set up for belt heat and clutch heat and was still faster out of the hole then stock.
this was done last year in Sicamous at Christmas on my 2017 165 3inch.

Rode 550 miles on my 803 belt last year. I turbocharged it this year and now have 1600 miles on the sled and same belt as when went with the team and p85 clutch.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i remember you you saying that the team is no good on a doo? in order for it to work you need a p 85? how would a p85 work with a qrs?

In my experience with a team and a doo primary, the only gain is the ability to float the secondary. There is a increase in rotating mass, less sheave surface to work with, and the tuning window is very narrow with a team secondary.

As far as the P85 and the QRS comment, if a tuner was to run a pdrive off of a 600rs without the runout in the fixed sheave, and compare it to a P85 I believe the two would be very comparable.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
47f40f72698065bc1cf895610f4df22e.jpg

680be6dae61066658dcc079e7a5cb74d.jpg

Balanced

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the primary itself is balanced but what about the crank?

Crank was balanced via the runout offset on the p drive.............

That's my concern also. The longevity of the engine.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I am not sure but i do know that the stock clutch was not balanced and mine was out. One of the stock clutches that was tested was 30 thows out. So I don't believe that the crank is balance with the stock primary and that is why there blowing belts and some cranks are going. With the primary having a wobble how can it always be balanced. I have a buddy that has almost 3000 miles on his and he has run this set up from day one and original belt also. So I am not sure as I am not a mechanic but all I know is that the guys in our group that have switched to this set up for clutches both turboed and no turboed have had no issues yet. We alll have put some long pulls and lots of trips on the machines.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I am not sure but i do know that the stock clutch was not balanced and mine was out. One of the stock clutches that was tested was 30 thows out. So I don't believe that the crank is balance with the stock primary and that is why there blowing belts and some cranks are going. With the primary having a wobble how can it always be balanced. I have a buddy that has almost 3000 miles on his and he has run this set up from day one and original belt also. So I am not sure as I am not a mechanic but all I know is that the guys in our group that have switched to this set up for clutches both turboed and no turboed have had no issues yet. We alll have put some long pulls and lots of trips on the machines.
That was designed in.

http://sleddermag.com/brp-reveals-new-vibration-damping-clutch-technology/

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok then why is guys going through so many belts and clutch so hot you cant touch them? Why is that billet crank going then?
I am not a Motor guy but to me you cant build in a wobble and be balanced, it is either balanced or not.
just my opinion.
Oh I don't disagree with you.

I am just saying that is how they chose to take some vibration outta that crank.

Now you take the vibration dampening away does it start to eat crank bearings then? I don't know.

Does the wobble clutch cause it to eat belts, I don't know.

Lots of theories and no concrete answers.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im going to have to side with snowseeker on this, yea ive heard of failures running a p-85 on a doo but if you do some digging it was because the taper was not cut properly on the fixed sheave not because of the imbalance crank myth. Doo did not balance the crank by making it have a wobble, the wobble clutch is there to try dampen the vibrations from over bored large cc motors, they tend to shake alot. the large black rubber piece on the end is supposed to be a dampener for the crank imbalance. i have since decided to try the p85 and team secondary set up as well, and if any of you know me my luck dictates that if it going to happen to anyone it will happen to me, so i will be the first guy to let you know if its true or not lol. lets see what happens.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
im going to have to side with snowseeker on this, yea ive heard of failures running a p-85 on a doo but if you do some digging it was because the taper was not cut properly on the fixed sheave not because of the imbalance crank myth. Doo did not balance the crank by making it have a wobble, the wobble clutch is there to try dampen the vibrations from over bored large cc motors, they tend to shake alot. the large black rubber piece on the end is supposed to be a dampener for the crank imbalance. i have since decided to try the p85 and team secondary set up as well, and if any of you know me my luck dictates that if it going to happen to anyone it will happen to me, so i will be the first guy to let you know if its true or not lol. lets see what happens.
You open side panels almost as often as rknight did when he had a turbo yammy

Popsiclestand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Who'd you do the clutch through? Mountain magic has the best set up on snow for the p85 team combo.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who'd you do the clutch through? Mountain magic has the best set up on snow for the p85 team combo.
Thats exactly who i used. Im not going to lie its an expensive touch BUT, i can take them and use them on an 850 when i decide i want one as well. the tamper is cut for the extra length of an 850 as well. the clutch is lighter, balanced, machined, and the secondary has his custom cut helix in it, he has different set up for different turbos, and the performance curve is different from turbo to turbo. Ive heard alot of good reviews and ive seen alot of em in person, if it allows me to ride all day long without blowing belts and excessive heat worth every penny in my opinion.

Top Bottom