Turbo For Dummies (Proclimb 800)

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i talked to Bruce at mountain magic yesterday...they were just installing a Cutler stage 3 in their shop proclimb while i was on the phone with him...be interesting to see how that turns out

he did also mention that most of the turbo's they do have an "all in" price of 9-10 grand....wow...that's more wife schmoozing than i was expecting to have to do...almost the price of another sled...seems a bit steep...but at least with them you know they'll spend the time to make sure it works properly...decisions decisions...

Last edited:

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone hear anything about the stage 1 kit from cutler? i'm thinking even that would be a huge improvement over stock when at elevation...and maybe less stress on your machine meaning less chance for issues

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i talked to Bruce at mountain magic yesterday...they were just installing a Cutler stage 3 in their shop proclimb while i was on the phone with him...be interesting to see how that turns out

he did also mention that most of the turbo's they do have an "all in" price of 9-10 grand....wow...that's more wife schmoozing than i was expecting to have to do...almost the price of another sled...seems a bit steep...but at least with them you know they'll spend the time to make sure it works properly...decisions decisions...

Just a little advice from a wife who has been through the turbo program before: Much like there are 1, 2 and 3 stage turbo kits, there are actually two to three stages of schmoozing to be done with your wife:
1. When you shell out the cash to buy the turbo kit/have it installed.
2. When you have to shell out more cash to fix the "little things" (And hopefully, no money for fixing big things)
3. When you go to sell the sled and you do not recoup even half of your investment.

It is best to be prepared for all three stages of schmoozing before the turbo investment program begins, so that you will not have to simultaneously begin a divorce fund :) :p

now that's a good wifey!!!! :) :) :)

I have a good husband who shares my love of the BRAAAAAP, and what can I say, boost makes me all hot and bothered :) :eek:

anyone hear anything about the stage 1 kit from cutler? i'm thinking even that would be a huge improvement over stock when at elevation...and maybe less stress on your machine meaning less chance for issues

I love the idea of lower boost on the two-strokes- this is definitely the direction I would like to go. My stock sled feels a lot "lazy" compared to the Cutler M8 that I rode. That extra bit of snap and go is exactly what I need, and to date, I have not seen any low end mods (clutching, pipe, fuel controller kit, blah blah blah) that can achieve the same upgrade in SNAP. Hopefully the lower boost means more reliability and longevity for the machine?? :confused:

bgraff1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
biggest difference between stage 1&2:
stage 1:
-no option for the 2871 (no biggie if you looking for low boost app)
-no blow off valve
-only uses the stock injectors, does not come with the injector block
-uses stock fuel pump
if looking for a low boost application where you only want to have that extra punch and run pump gas, stage 1 all day long!

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey bgraff, thanks for all the info so far....very helpful...

i am just looking for a pump gas turbo...trying to keep things from getting too complicated...and from what you say the stage 1 sounds like a much simplier install...i checked and the place i was going to get to put it in for me (if i get it) is booked up for the next month...how far out were the factory settings from cutler on your install? even taking into account that every machine is different, i would imagine that it would still be in the 90 - 95% efficiency range right from the factory...i have a ride coming up in 2 or 3 weeks and i'm thinking 90% is way better than 0%...sent an email to cutler with some questions

bgraff1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pretty darn close, very rideable, with the default cutler numbers. the install its self isnt even that bad. if you have some basic hand tools and mechanical know how i wouldnt hesitate to give it a go. just make sure to take your time, the instructions are very accurate and thorough.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey sledmamma - do you know which stage kit the cutler turbo was that you rode?

Stage 1- Pump Gas.

FYI- Its for sale and it is in the top 5 of the nicest machines I have ever seen. $11,000 with all the extras. Unbelievable. Unfortunately, its a 2009 and having ridden the new chassis, I can't go back :(

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok i think that settles it for me...if i do a turbo on my new proclimb it will the cutler stage 1...time to make some calls on availability....and start step 1 of the approval process with the wife....

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just in case anyone is interested, i sent cutler a few questions on the stage 1 and here's what he had to say:

Stage I and 2 are similar for instructions except about 1/3 less work. I am currently revising the Stage 1 instructions and I will post it on our web site. Yes our recommendations are the same on the head and chain for maximum durability. The chain and sprockets as of yesterday have not come off back order as we purchase them from Arctic Cat since they are specific to year and model and the aftermarket industry has not geared up for production for these items, as as of right now, nobody in the world has them, but when they do come available we recommend a change. The heads are available right now. The other good news is that the Turbo kits are available today as well. I will try to update the instructions in the next few days.

Thanks,
Dale

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just in case anyone is interested, i sent cutler a few questions on the stage 1 and here's what he had to say:

Stage I and 2 are similar for instructions except about 1/3 less work. I am currently revising the Stage 1 instructions and I will post it on our web site. Yes our recommendations are the same on the head and chain for maximum durability. The chain and sprockets as of yesterday have not come off back order as we purchase them from Arctic Cat since they are specific to year and model and the aftermarket industry has not geared up for production for these items, as as of right now, nobody in the world has them, but when they do come available we recommend a change. The heads are available right now. The other good news is that the Turbo kits are available today as well. I will try to update the instructions in the next few days.

Thanks,
Dale

Thank you. I would LOVE if you keep updating us with info, pics, and progress...

BOOSTED

Reaction score
I installed a Cutler stage 3 on my 2009 M8, cant say enough about CPC, Dale and his crew were VERY helpful andHighly recommend thier kits!for the M series, i would only buy CPC, with twisted a close second :)

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
over the last couple of weeks i've been looking into different manufacturers...Cutler is the only company that has responded to my emailed questions...and he did it by the next day....I had some further questions and called there about a week later...talked to Dale directly on the first try...over the next 45 mins he gave me more information than I knew what to do with....no question he is passionate about his work...and VERY willing to custom taylor a set up to accomodate any indivduals needs...highly suggest calling him if you have any questions about his products...the level of "pre-purchase" service was unmatched by the other companies...

during our conversation he also mentioned that although it's not advertised he does also offer a "Stage 1 1/2" as another option...or anything in between depending on the customers needs...

the more i research the more i find that this is the comapny to deal with...not too many places where you get to talk directly with the guy who actually designs the product...

won't have time have it installed before my trip to revy next week...prob good to get a few more miles on the new sled first anyways....but i think there may be a little surprise under the pussy cat's hood for my bumble bee buddies the next time we unload :)

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
moving on to the next step and looking for an installer....

my search on this item turned out to be very similar as the search for the turbo itself....after talking to a few different shops i just wasn't getting that comfortable feeling...i was upfront and mentioned that i'm new to turbos and wasn't really sure what to look for...but the shops around edmonton just weren’t that helpful...

one place asked why the heck i wanted to get behind a turbo if i didn’t know anything about tuning them?? um...because i want more power....and i'm sure everyone isn't an expert before they ride one....i'm trying to learn....

another place keep saying "the customer is always right" and "we will do anything you ask us to"....that's great and all but if i don't know what i'm doing i'm looking for help - not looking to think that i'm right about something when i'm not...but it didn't matter anyways because twice they were supposed to check into something and call me back but they were too busy and forgot to look into it...so i forgot to look into them any further...

Kerry from White Knuckle Motorsports out of Llyod PM'd me on here after reading the previous posts in this thread...he immediately addressed the concerns i had about being new to turbos (only place to address that at all) and made suggestions on set ups for a newbie...he responded to my subsequent emails fairly quickly....and answered all my questions on the phone...and was priced lower than the others....made the choice easy for who to go with...hopefully the work is as good as the service so far...looking to make an appointment as soon as i get back from revy next week...luckily i drive thru Lloyd every week...and they even agreed to let me drop off the sled on a Sunday while i'm driving thru...will keep you updated with pics and progress...

ok now just have to decide when to break it to the wife.....permission or forgivenes....lets see, permisson or forgiveness.....hmmmm.....

Last edited:

bgraff1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will be very happy with WKM. thats where i bought my kit, they helped me with the install. kerry is a great guy to deal with and actually knows his ch!t!

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's that? No, no don't be silly honey...that round spinny thing is just the stock exhaust...yes, yes its supposed to sound like that...honest ;)Hopefully the box seats to nickelback and the surprise tickets to the cats performance in a couple weeks will be enough of a distraction and help her get through the acceptance stage....geez all these extra costs for a turbo sure add up :)

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's that? No, no don't be silly honey...that round spinny thing is just the stock exhaust...yes, yes its supposed to sound like that...honest ;)Hopefully the box seats to nickelback and the surprise tickets to the cats performance in a couple weeks will be enough of a distraction and help her get through the acceptance stage....geez all these extra costs for a turbo sure add up :)

Sounds like you have step one of the install covered. You are one of them there 'fast learnin' husbands: you are gonna do well at this :)

Top Bottom