Trying the XM Thurs. April 5th at Corbin

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
see you in golden this weekend then?? ;)
Well if it wasn't my mothers funeral on sat I would come! However oler I beleive I did meet up with you in forrester a few years back! Do you like to ride alone? If so I know who you are!just remember a three inch track loves the snow out there now! Possibly the following Sat.Oh ya forgot to mention I only get 49 mph track speed!

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is marginally better we found at the test rides. An XM 154 would climb a tad better than a XP163. This was in 2 ft of heavy powder snow in Eagle Pass.

Ken I have heard this a few times, the XM is heavier and they finalized on the same suspension geometry (and rails) as the 12XP so do you think it's the track or did you notice more track speed due to more power? I cannot believe the flex track works so much better for traction and for popping out of the snow, I cannot wrap my head around why the XM would be better than the XP for climbing?? I must be missing something here as even the inside wheel kit should lessen traction in theory by not spreading the weight as well.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ken I have heard this a few times, the XM is heavier and they finalized on the same suspension geometry (and rails) as the 12XP so do you think it's the track or did you notice more track speed due to more power? I cannot believe the flex track works so much better for traction and for popping out of the snow, I cannot wrap my head around why the XM would be better than the XP for climbing?? I must be missing something here as even the inside wheel kit should lessen traction in theory by not spreading the weight as well.

First thing we need EVERYONE on Snow and Mud to know is.....the XM is the exact same weight as the 12XP. This is well documented in all the new literature and spec sheets from BRP. Unless someone has weighed one already side by side this is what we have to go with. Where did you hear they had finalized suspension geometry on the XM Chris? From what I saw from the whole comparison photo post from Snowest with all the lines through the 3 platforms the XM appears to be closer to the pivot points on the Pro. The information I am going on in regards to side by side climbing ability is first hand knowledge from our demo ride at Eagles. Daryl Baker can confirm the information as well as he was the rider. Daryl was highly cynical of the XM before he rode it. After he rode it he was a huge fan and would not get off it that afternoon. He believes he can make it even better with some more suspension work but just remember with Daryl.There is no money in boondocking but lots to be had in climbing. It just worked better in the conditions that day. That I can tell you.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First thing we need EVERYONE on Snow and Mud to know is.....the XM is the exact same weight as the 12XP. This is well documented in all the new literature and spec sheets from BRP. Unless someone has weighed one already side by side this is what we have to go with. Where did you hear they had finalized suspension geometry on the XM Chris? From what I saw from the whole comparison photo post from Snowest with all the lines through the 3 platforms the XM appears to be closer to the pivot points on the Pro. The information I am going on in regards to side by side climbing ability is first hand knowledge from our demo ride at Eagles. Daryl Baker can confirm the information as well as he was the rider. Daryl was highly cynical of the XM before he rode it. After he rode it he was a huge fan and would not get off it that afternoon. He believes he can make it even better with some more suspension work but just remember with Daryl.There is no money in boondocking but lots to be had in climbing. It just worked better in the conditions that day. That I can tell you.

Kelly Grant said it will be a couple of pounds heavier due to the T-Motion but I figured one less wheel and a shorter seat should put it the same as the 12's. ( who knows about the removable hood and new side panels) So I can accept it would weigh the same. Anyway it was Daryl Baker who told me that he questioned the Doo rep. when he did his ride and they admitted that the early design was like the picture you speak of and it simply did not perform so they put it back to the old geometry. On the 5th, I looked closely at the demos and sure enough, the rear brakets had been moved back to their original position and all the old holes had new rivits in them to fill them. The rails were the same as my 11 and the big gap between the front of the rails and the axel had returned. I wonder how many guys got to try the XM with the early design?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kelly Grant said it will be a couple of pounds heavier due to the T-Motion but I figured one less wheel and a shorter seat should put it the same as the 12's. ( who knows about the removable hood and new side panels) So I can accept it would weigh the same. Anyway it was Daryl Baker who told me that he questioned the Doo rep. when he did his ride and they admitted that the early design was like the picture you speak of and it simply did not perform so they put it back to the old geometry. On the 5th, I looked closely at the demos and sure enough, the rear brakets had been moved back to their original position and all the old holes had new rivits in them to fill them. The rails were the same as my 11 and the big gap between the front of the rails and the axel had returned. I wonder how many guys got to try the XM with the early design?

Not sure how many. Maybe the MTC guys. All I know is I want what I had at Eagle that day. That was an impressive sled to ride. As far as the change to the geometry this is news to me as I was going off the earlier pics posted on the internet.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I can say is watch out 2013 we are coming. LOL I also went to a 163 from 154 and was told it was night and day difference.

signedge

Reaction score
If you ride the 13 you will be a believer. These things are incredible. Next year when you see all of them out there it will be like 2008 again. Doo's every where. Hopefully the 163 will be as awesome as everyone says. Maybe it will make me a better rider 50% as good as Kuster. Ahh ok 25%. Hell I'll settle for 10% then thats still pretty good. If you are rockin a 1000rt against an xp platform you are a heck of a rider. Way to go. Not a slam because there are some really freakin good riders out there. But if you get a 13 you will be unstoppable. Ken through him a deal.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I can say is watch out 2013 we are coming. LOL I also went to a 163 from 154 and was told it was night and day difference.
That's why I was asking the comparo to 1000! No xp I have seen that hasn't been 860'd will run with the rt1000 that's working the way it should. If the xm is ahead of the old 800 then we are getting closer. The handling is a given but like any sled there is compromises. The rt is not finesse at all but it will climb a straight line better than most.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:nono: Wait a minute young grasshopper! You obviously havnt been around the rt much! But if you need to find out the hard way let me know! I've heard this a 1000 times and all I can say is most get a awakening!

oh i have been around the rt enough to know that 8k worth of mods dont make it nearly as capable as a stock 8 hundy........unless that 8 k is for a well tuned turbo.....just my experience with half a dozen of em or so

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh i have been around the rt enough to know that 8k worth of mods dont make it nearly as capable as a stock 8 hundy........unless that 8 k is for a well tuned turbo.....just my experience with half a dozen of em or so
If I put a quarter of that money in my rt there will not be a turbo yammi that will keep up! Give me a break a stock 800 is no where close. Never has been! This tells me how much seat time you have! I've held out from buying a new sled since 05 cause I have not had one stock 800 go around this heavy tub. Maybe in the bush they can stick close but straight up no chance!

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you ride the 13 you will be a believer. These things are incredible. Next year when you see all of them out there it will be like 2008 again. Doo's every where. Hopefully the 163 will be as awesome as everyone says. Maybe it will make me a better rider 50% as good as Kuster. Ahh ok 25%. Hell I'll settle for 10% then thats still pretty good. If you are rockin a 1000rt against an xp platform you are a heck of a rider. Way to go. Not a slam because there are some really freakin good riders out there. But if you get a 13 you will be unstoppable. Ken through him a deal.
I've been riding mtns since 85 but I'm not a real rider like Kuster but I like the powder running and the wide open hills. When I compare my sled to another's I take a line beside his in my own track ! That's where you can tell if its the sled. Technical riding around trees is mostly rider and I'm not that type. I can do it somewhat but I'm not good at it(at least Idont think so) I know how to make my sled run good in powder and the longer pulls.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your rt1000 sounds impressive, but can it beat an 05 900 rmk??
When I first bought my 05 I was in owls head off the lake. There was a new 900 and an older rmk 800 the 800 was the closest but the 900 was not working good at all. We stopped and talked to both guys and the 900 guy had just bought his sled same as myself and he was disappointed as he could not out run his buddies 800. They were impressed with 1000 as they had never seen one before. I have done major tuning since then plus added a three inch track. I have not seen that many 900 rmks since but I think there is some out there that work. The 1000 got a bum rap like the 900 rmk cause the manufacture did not spend a little extra r&d time. But there are a few running around that guys like myself took the time to figure out. It isn't rocket science they just needed a little tuning. Their weight was a downfall as everyone wanted a more playful style sled. The 800 engine however lacks a lot of power in comparison !

Last edited:

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if it wasn't my mothers funeral on sat I would come! However oler I beleive I did meet up with you in forrester a few years back! Do you like to ride alone? If so I know who you are!just remember a three inch track loves the snow out there now! Possibly the following Sat.Oh ya forgot to mention I only get 49 mph track speed!
Hey popcorn I'm sorry for your loss.I have sold and delt with alot of 1000's your right, on the big open hills DIALED they do work good very good in some cases,but can be a handfull in the trees.I think that they should have gave it a little more R+D and stuck it in the new chassis as well,but lots of issuse plagued that engine that I beleave could have been resolved very easy.I'm glad you still enjoy your 1000,but after throwing that brute around you would be suprised how easy and far you could push the new 800's if Both dialed there very close even on a open hill.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Youll prob see beefed up version or different design on the running boards as well,,, was told they were having an issue with many of them cracking.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I put a quarter of that money in my rt there will not be a turbo yammi that will keep up! Give me a break a stock 800 is no where close. Never has been! This tells me how much seat time you have! I've held out from buying a new sled since 05 cause I have not had one stock 800 go around this heavy tub. Maybe in the bush they can stick close but straight up no chance!

name the time and place......not a turbo yammi that will keep up with 2 g's into a rt? your on fawking glue.....this tells me how much seat time you have.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
name the time and place......not a turbo yammi that will keep up with 2 g's into a rt? your on fawking glue.....this tells me how much seat time you have.
Sounds good I'll keep it for spring.Then I'll catch up with you.For what its worth I have put some turbo'd yammis on trailer who were all talk like you!Dont know why i waste my time talking to guys like yourself?

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds good I'll keep it for spring.Then I'll catch up with you.For what its worth I have put some turbo'd yammis on trailer who were all talk like you!Dont know why i waste my time talking to guys like yourself?

So now it's some yammies.........lots of idiots out there putting huge money into sleds when all they need is your magical rt. Makes sense though it was award winning. it took home the honor of worst mountain sled of the year

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha I knew that challenge was coming.It was a BOLD statement.

Top Bottom