Truck decks / Sled decks

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
I am honestly surprised that the truckboss is selling. I wouldn't be caught dead putting that thing on my expensive truck unless marathon was going to pay to repair it when it destroyed the box and cab. With how violent sleds can load, the box/cab will be mangled within no time. Marathon can claim they tested it all they want, but they still dropped the ball on the new design, trucks will be damaged in a few years guaranteed.

Please don't load onto your cab. Damage is inevitable.
If your loading is THAT violent, you are doing in wrong (not everyone likes it rough...).

Plus the price is stupid, who is going to want a $4000+ deck? You can buy a 2 place enclosed for that, and you get a lot more. Might sell some, but I can't forsee much for sales when you are gouging on price that badly with a poor product.

Other things that $4000 could buy:
A trip for 2 to a nice resort in Mexico
A sweet home theater from a big box store
A set of 20" RockStar rims and 35" MTRs
A lift kit if you do the install (a real lift kit, not just spacers)
A tanning bed for your basement
2 "L" lenses for your Canon DSLR
A nice watch for you and a new diamond ring for the missus at Costco
2 complete sets of Cutco knives from the upcoming Boat and Sportsman Show
The North Face 2-Meter Dome tent The North Face*Equipment*Tents*2-METER DOME
The list goes on...

And a VERY poor way to phase out a deck. You should be giving AMPLE heads up to customers and dealers that they are being discontinued. I bet a ton of customers will say screw you, I will buy from someone else who will provide products for the deck for more then a year. I know I would.

Since our product isn't mass consumed, and since the historic buying season is short (winter), when we gave notice last spring to the introduction of TRUCKBOSS and the discontinuation of the classic deck no one took much notice--it was the low season for "sled" decks.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Since our product isn't mass consumed, and since the historic buying season is short (winter), when we gave notice last spring to the introduction of TRUCKBOSS and the discontinuation of the classic deck no one took much notice--it was the low season for "sled" decks.

Actually I have looked back and even though you guys did a bang-up job of introducing the new deck, I can actually find no information that stated you would be stopping production of the old deck. I never saw any info regarding this until specific questions were asked...

Also, your website is completely misleading as it still shows and advertises the old style deck, which is no longer available. And there are banner adds on this site still advertising Marathon Decks...You may want to address these issues ASAP...

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please don't load onto your cab. Damage is inevitable.
If your loading is THAT violent, you are doing in wrong (not everyone likes it rough...).

Other things that $4000 could buy:
A trip for 2 to a nice resort in Mexico
A sweet home theater from a big box store
A set of 20" RockStar rims and 35" MTRs
A lift kit if you do the install (a real lift kit, not just spacers)
A tanning bed for your basement
2 "L" lenses for your Canon DSLR
A nice watch for you and a new diamond ring for the missus at Costco
2 complete sets of Cutco knives from the upcoming Boat and Sportsman Show
The North Face 2-Meter Dome tent The North Face*Equipment*Tents*2-METER DOME
The list goes on...

Cab damage when the box rails comes loose from wear, or the deck moves hitting the cab. Seen it multiple times from decks. Loading is violent, and 1000lbs going on the back of your box rails pulling up on the front is pretty significant, when the box wasn't designed for that. A lot different loading something heavy on the box rails directly ontop compared to moving sleds on and off.

Not that I was overly looking but not once when you were praising the new deck did you state the old one was being discontinued.

What i'm saying about price is, I know what material costs and labour to build a deck, you are gouging badly. There is a LOT more material and cost in a 2 place enclosed, and likely more labour yet they are the same price if not cheaper then a deck.

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
Cab damage when the box rails comes loose from wear, or the deck moves hitting the cab. Seen it multiple times from decks. Loading is violent, and 1000lbs going on the back of your box rails pulling up on the front is pretty significant, when the box wasn't designed for that. A lot different loading something heavy on the box rails directly ontop compared to moving sleds on and off.

Not that I was overly looking but not once when you were praising the new deck did you state the old one was being discontinued.

What i'm saying about price is, I know what material costs and labour to build a deck, you are gouging badly. There is a LOT more material and cost in a 2 place enclosed, and likely more labour yet they are the same price if not cheaper then a deck.

The rails won't come loose. They are 4.5" deep, run the length of the box and are clamped on with 6-8 clamps that measure 5" x 1" each. You are noticing the "sway" in an old style deck which is simply a platform on legs set in a truck box. If the point where the leg attaches to the deck comes loose (cracked welds, etc) then the entire deck will rock back and forth like a rickety old scaffold. This is dangerous and should be fixed immediately!

TRUCKBOSS is the new Marathon deck. When a new version is introduced often the old is phased out. I apologize if this wasn't understood. To clear things up we also discontinued our line of jet-boats.

Pricing seems to be a sore point, yet comparison's are continually made to basic "sled" decks. With a couple of 2x4s and some cam-buckle straps I can make a perfectly functional roof-rack for my car. Material and labour costs are much lower than what Thule or Yakima are charging...

The basic welded aluminum frame plywood surfaced deck is something anyone could put together in their backyard shop with $1200 worth of supplies, a little ingenuity, and a lot of time. This is not what I sell.

I grew up in a farming community and have seen all manner of home-made and one-off contraptions on the road, in the fields, on the jobsite, and upside down in the ditch. Some of these contraptions were innovative, some of them worked, but none of them were pretty. Marathon is moving out of the "contraption" market and is manufacturing a product that looks like a truck accessory, functions like a truck deck, and has the added bonus of acting like a structural tonneau cover to protect your gear.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Good points Vaughn...

So just to clear things up-you intended most of us to 'guess' that the old deck was being discontinued? You have introduced many 'new' decks over the years, new sizes, different features, the 'Lite' and funny no 'other' decks were eliminated at those times, so you can see how many of us arent following your logic...

The way I read it...We are now building the Truckboss, if ya dont like it...tough chit!

Different sales approach, but who knows, maybe it works...

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
Good points Vaughn...

So just to clear things up-you intended most of us to 'guess' that the old deck was being discontinued? You have introduced many 'new' decks over the years, new sizes, different features, the 'Lite' and funny no 'other' decks were eliminated at those times, so you can see how many of us arent following your logic...

The way I read it...We are now building the Truckboss, if ya dont like it...tough chit!

Different sales approach, but who knows, maybe it works...

As "new" decks were introduced the previous deck was discontinued. We did this with the beavertail deck, the fixed side deck, the 2-pc ramp deck, the non-extrusion based deck, the deck that had legs welded to the frame, the decks that were dedicated for long box/short box, etc. As new and improved iterations became available we discontinued the previous model. The only exception may have been the LITE deck, which was really just the standard deck minus the clamps and with a folding ramp.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My only complaint is that you didnt keep the accesories around like the extension, I love my classic lite deck and procrastinated on getting the extension for two long, now I want one and I cant find one:(

Stantheman

Reaction score
When talking about the look of the new deck I have to say that I really disagree with you. I find that the older deck looks much better even without paint then the new flat black truckboss.

van isle

Reaction score
I have had my Diamondback on my truck for 3 almost 4 years now. With 2 quads on it and i have not had any issue at all with the box sides. I see no reason the truckboss woudl be any different.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much for a decked out truckboss? A truckboss set up to handles sleds. Shall we say the long version?

two sets of legs
glides
clamps
headache rack
etc

Final price before tax? Lets not include the adaptor kit as people can add that to the total for their specific application.

I'm just curious how much this deck will come in at all said and done, for a snowmobile/atv using customer.

Kruchy

Reaction score
C'mon you guys. If you want one price it out and buy it. I don't know how Vaughn can deal with all the crap. This is really getting old.

Kruchy

Reaction score
How much for a decked out truckboss? A truckboss set up to handles sleds. Shall we say the long version?

two sets of legs
glides
clamps
headache rack
etc

Final price before tax? Lets not include the adaptor kit as people can add that to the total for their specific application.

I'm just curious how much this deck will come in at all said and done, for a snowmobile/atv using customer.
I wasn't referring to you

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
C'mon you guys. If you want one price it out and buy it. I don't know how Vaughn can deal with all the crap. This is really getting old.

Uhmm, ya...Dont want one, dont like it, so looking for info on the 'classic' deck...

If you dont like that then visit other areas of the site...or just keep quiet, your choice...

Captain_splat

Reaction score
3/4 and 1 ton trucks come in 4 different box sizes:
6'4" - Dodge
6'6" - Chev/GM twins (also works for F150 and Tundra)
6'9" - SuperDuty
8' - All

In order to prevent dealers from having to stock multiple deck rails, all decks come with a rail sized for the Dodge standard box (the shortest of the bunch...). A simple extension (3", 6", or 22") and a splice piece are all that is needed to accommodate the other variants. Think of the Q-Tower adapters for a Thule roof rack--once the rack is bought it can be moved to any other car/truck roof with the purchase of new adapters. This "install" kit is $45 for the other standard box sizes, $95 for the long box size (includes another set of rail clamps).

The HD rear legs are included with the deck.

The "Carbide Protection Kit" is optional, as are SuperClamps. There are other cheaper alternatives if you so choose... if you want them at all.

I think if Vaughn should quit beating around the Bush and tell everone that for you to buy their Truck Boss Deck, (Even If It Turns Out To Be The Greatest Deck To Ever To Be Built In The Whole World) Adapt it to fit on your Truck and at a Bare minimum Slap on some Superclamps. A Long Box Model is $4295.oo which I need, add the $95.oo Adapter. Add two Superclamps at $189.oo Each How else are you going to keep your Sleds up there? Your price is going to be $4768.oo The Legs were a Extra Option before. But after they found out their was going to be problems decided to throw them in. (When I first phoned they weren`t included.) I can just see my Carbides Carving to hell the top of my Brand New $4800.oo Deck because I didn`t have any money left over for the $270.oo Carbide Protection Kit. I was totally looking into this deck when it first came out but it seems like They hope you don`t notice the price and just say Oh well i`ll just work some over time at the ole coal mine to cover it. For the $4000. dollars everyone keeps refering to you don`t get much. Their old deck was $3575. if you take off the Superclamps that were included before that`s $3197.oo Where`s the Truckboss advantage for the extra money. darn I forgot to ask if the Headache Rack was included. I`m not saying this is a BAD Deck just get the Darn price right.

Toxic Fingers

Reaction score

two sets of legs
glides
clamps
headache rack
etc

I'm just curious how much this deck will come in at all said and done, for a snowmobile/atv using customer.[/QUOY

You live in Kimberley? A few pages back CL trailer sales is in cranbrook. looks like he sells decks.

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Ladies.. Just Letting everyone know I still have 2 Brand New Full-Lotus Shorty Extreeme Decks Left in Stock (7Ft Short Box) Sitting In My Shop in Cranbrook BC. Also have some Track Support Brackets that slip over the Back Loading Bar as well for the Shorty. If anyones still looking. Check out my Facebook Page for Pictures. Send Me A Email. Thanks AL

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score

two sets of legs
glides
clamps
headache rack
etc

Jay,

Pricing as follows:

TRUCKBOSS 7 (84" Deck) $3995
TRUCKBOSS 8 (104" Deck) $4295

Either deck will fit a Dodge Standard Box (6'4")

Install Kit for a Chev/GMC 6.5' box $45
Install Kit for a Ford SuperDudy 6.75' box $45
Install Kit for an 8' long box $95

Rear TELE-LEG Kit (adjustable height) is included.

Carbide Protection Kit (12 pc superglide, aluminum extrusion to attach superglide, 28pcs plastic extrusion for side sliders, hardware) $270

SuperClamps retail for $189ea. That is MSRP, many places do better :) when bought with a deck. If you can't afford clamps then straps are cheaper.

TRUCKBOSS comes with a headache rack, extendable sides, LED lights, fully anodized, 10' telescopic ramp, rear legs.

Total:
8' Deck + Carbide Kit = $4565
Including clamps at full MSRP = $4943
Including F350 SCrew 4x4 = $57,000 (how's that for beating around the bush?)

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jay,

Pricing as follows:

TRUCKBOSS 7 (84" Deck) $3995
TRUCKBOSS 8 (104" Deck) $4295

Either deck will fit a Dodge Standard Box (6'4")

Install Kit for a Chev/GMC 6.5' box $45
Install Kit for a Ford SuperDudy 6.75' box $45
Install Kit for an 8' long box $95

Rear TELE-LEG Kit (adjustable height) is included.

Carbide Protection Kit (12 pc superglide, aluminum extrusion to attach superglide, 28pcs plastic extrusion for side sliders, hardware) $270

SuperClamps retail for $189ea. That is MSRP, many places do better :) when bought with a deck. If you can't afford clamps then straps are cheaper.

TRUCKBOSS comes with a headache rack, extendable sides, LED lights, fully anodized, 10' telescopic ramp, rear legs.

Total:
8' Deck + Carbide Kit = $4565
Including clamps at full MSRP = $4943
Including F350 SCrew 4x4 = $57,000 (how's that for beating around the bush?)

Is that a new truck ? Diesel??

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO, Marathon has made a huge mistake discontinuing there sled deck, this opens the door wide open for Crosstrax, STF or Full lotus to take over the market, time will tell.

full lotus is the best on the market IMO i bought my full lotus after seeing a marathon and full lotus sidexside the choice was obvious FULL LOTUS ALL THE WAY

Top Bottom