Truck decks / Sled decks

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering,

It used to be the case that Marathon wanted their classic decks bolted to the frame, why is it okay to run the new deck on the bed rails? Surely, the bed rails are not rated (which was the reasoning behind mounting the classic deck to the frame and not the tie down points). So you guys are not willing to trust the tie down points, but are okay with the bed rails?

Just curious.

Kruchy

Reaction score
Just got mine put on before weekend. Put 2000 km's on it with two sleds and have not seen any problems so far. I actually love the thing. The square tubing that the track runs up flexes a lot. Hopefully will be no problems with it. Having the box and the deck as one should make for a very rigid unit. Also very nice to have all my stuff sealed and locked away in box.:beer::beer::beer::beer:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats a pretty big deck extension does it fit in the back of the box easily? I know my extension on my full lotus is about 18 inches long and about 15 inches wide and just has a channel cut out to fit were the ramps sit on the deck. makes it real nice for saving space in the box having two little extensions that come on and off in 2 seconds. my thoughts as well why did you go away from the traditional leg mount? Never had a problem at all with a sled deck turn buckled down and pulling the stock tiedowns out I liked the fact that you could bolt it down and turn buckle for extra security. I sold diamondback covers for a couple years and ran into a few problems with the just frame style mount. also how do you mount this deck if you have a tool box or slip tank in the back of the truck like so many do???

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
We have re-defined the difference between a regular duty and heavy duty user and decided that at some point everyone will likely become a heavy duty user. As such, decks now come standard with the rear leg kit.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
We have re-defined the difference between a regular duty and heavy duty user and decided that at some point everyone will likely become a heavy duty user. As such, decks now come standard with the rear leg kit.

It would be ok to admit that you guys chit the bed on this, and will be bringing back a decent deck like you used to build. Everyone and most manufacturers make mistakes, however the ones that realize it, and move forward will always succeed...

How have sales been on the new deck?? How are customer satisfaction rates now that they have been out for a while?? Curious...

It is also possible that 'I' am wrong in my assumptions, but I doubt it...

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well by this point would it not make sense to just add two more legs? Why not just go back to the old style? I would like to see the bed of a truck running these decks after a couple of years.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya really doesnt makes sense to bring back the back two legs and not all four! I gotta go with longhorn on this one I think you messed up on this deck we all make mistakes but really i think this was a big mistake and hopefully go back to having the legs in the box cause really you arent making anymore room under the deck in the box only part saving room is not having the legs and really they take up virtually no space the only thing taking up space seems to be the ramp thats were you need to work on the product to be able to make some more clearance with the ramp underneath

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a mistake until we see some truck boxes fold in. Legs in the back make sense, the front of a box is tied together but the back is not, that makes the front of the box sides a lot stronger. I'm sure some rich jackass bought one of these and is bagging their truck with a pair of sleds on it somewhere? Only time is going to prove who is right and wrong here - I'll let someone else be the guinea pig!

That said, at first I thought the whole idea was goofy too, but now I think Marathon is trying to be different in a market full of look-a-like products (with some of it pretty serious competition too) and this means trying to expand their market a little bit. It's too late now, but I would have loved something like this on my shortbox work truck. Sealed and lockable tonneau cover, but still have a ladder rack and something solid for working on and hauling things with - and in a pinch, could haul a sled or quad - would save me from having to grab a trailer. I get the value in that. As a dedicated toy hauler? I think Marathon is moving away from that market a little bit... and hell, I'd rather wish'em luck than string'em out for their decisions. I probably wouldn't have bought an old marathon deck anyway if I were buying a sled deck for recreational use while this new product is interesting to me from a work perspective. I'm keeping an eye on how these pan out.

Last edited:

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
For the record, none of our aluminum comes from China. Our aluminum extrusions come from the same plant that we have been employing for the past 5 years. It is located in the Midwest US and supplies extrusions to the likes of Lund and Triton. All of the brackets are manufactured in another plant in the Midwest US-the same one that manufactures stamped pieces and sub-assemblies for Arctic Cat, Polaris, and John Deere. My injection moulded plastic parts and lights both come from the Midwest US, and the fasteners are locally sourced. We perform all of the assembly here in Edmonton, stop by the shop at 7719-44a St if you are interested.

TRUCKBOSS is a great product, it may be a little more expensive than its predecessor but it offers a lot more value than anything else on the market. It works like a truck deck, looks like a tonneau cover, and provides a huge lockable vault in lieu of an open box behind your cab. You can buy cheaper decks; heck, you and a buddy could pool your cash and order a six-pack of decks from China... but you'll end up justifying your purchase by explaining how much money you saved to anyone within earshot-rather than being satisfied with your deck.

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
Well by this point would it not make sense to just add two more legs? Why not just go back to the old style? I would like to see the bed of a truck running these decks after a couple of years.
You can have as many legs as you want... the two that are included bolt to the rail of the deck near the tailgate opening. Another set, or two, or three could be added anywhere along the box sides.

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
ya really doesnt makes sense to bring back the back two legs and not all four! I gotta go with longhorn on this one I think you messed up on this deck we all make mistakes but really i think this was a big mistake and hopefully go back to having the legs in the box cause really you arent making anymore room under the deck in the box only part saving room is not having the legs and really they take up virtually no space the only thing taking up space seems to be the ramp thats were you need to work on the product to be able to make some more clearance with the ramp underneath

Ramps have always been an issue...back in the old days with 2-piece ramps there used to be a lot more space taken up by 2 tiers of ramps hung under the deck. Sad to say it but the sled ramp it the PITA... two ATV ramps store much easier and in many more places.

Raising a legged deck too much to fit more stuff underneath just results in a steeper ramp angle, a higher center of mass, and a funny looking gap that increases the likelyhood of an unsavoury character reaching into your box (or at the very least some weather getting in).

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
thats a pretty big deck extension does it fit in the back of the box easily? I know my extension on my full lotus is about 18 inches long and about 15 inches wide and just has a channel cut out to fit were the ramps sit on the deck. makes it real nice for saving space in the box having two little extensions that come on and off in 2 seconds. my thoughts as well why did you go away from the traditional leg mount? Never had a problem at all with a sled deck turn buckled down and pulling the stock tiedowns out I liked the fact that you could bolt it down and turn buckle for extra security. I sold diamondback covers for a couple years and ran into a few problems with the just frame style mount. also how do you mount this deck if you have a tool box or slip tank in the back of the truck like so many do???

This deck extension was intended to be installed for the season and then removed. Kind of like the Yakima ski-carrier I use on my roof rack in the winter or the hitch-mount bike carrier I use in the summer.

There are plenty of companies around that will make custom sized slip tanks:
Home - CC Industries

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
Take a look at the box of a truck running a legged deck after a few years...there is frequently damage. Truck boxes are the cheapest part of a truck.
This new system distributes the weight over a much larger area. The rear legs further reinforce the capacity for heavy use.

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
Just wondering,

It used to be the case that Marathon wanted their classic decks bolted to the frame, why is it okay to run the new deck on the bed rails? Surely, the bed rails are not rated (which was the reasoning behind mounting the classic deck to the frame and not the tie down points). So you guys are not willing to trust the tie down points, but are okay with the bed rails?

Just curious.

The classic deck wasn't bolted to the frame (frame rails are fairly narrow in comparison to the width of the box--look where a 5th wheel hitch is mounted for comparison). We recommended bolting through the box, as the hardware we provided and the mounting point is much sturdier than what the truck manufacturer supplies. A 1/2" gr8 bolt at the contact point (between the deck and the truck box) is much stronger than the M6 bolt 10" away from the contact point.

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a mistake until we see some truck boxes fold in. Legs in the back make sense, the front of a box is tied together but the back is not, that makes the front of the box sides a lot stronger. I'm sure some rich jackass bought one of these and is bagging their truck with a pair of sleds on it somewhere? Only time is going to prove who is right and wrong here - I'll let someone else be the guinea pig!

The guinea pigs are fairing well, but boy does my office stink! (Homer, are you just putting new newspaper over the old newspaper?)

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The classic deck wasn't bolted to the frame (frame rails are fairly narrow in comparison to the width of the box--look where a 5th wheel hitch is mounted for comparison). We recommended bolting through the box, as the hardware we provided and the mounting point is much sturdier than what the truck manufacturer supplies. A 1/2" gr8 bolt at the contact point (between the deck and the truck box) is much stronger than the M6 bolt 10" away from the contact point.

Sounds reasonable. Thanks for clearing that up.

Kruchy

Reaction score
If I stop by the place I bought mine from will they add the two rear legs to my deck at no charge?

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
If I stop by the place I bought mine from will they add the two rear legs to my deck at no charge?

Install is about 20 min. Give them warning before you come as they might have to order a set from me (no charge of course).

If you'd rather I send them direct to you just email me your address.

Conversely, if you find yourself in Edmonton stop by (we're just off the Sherwood Park Freeway and 50th street) and I'll throw some in for you.

Top Bottom