Truck decks / Sled decks

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
Re: Marathon service sucks!

Don't believe anything this salesman is telling u:nono:The new truck boss deck is a piece of dog cum and the only reason they went to it is because it is much cheaper to produce than the old classic style. I have heard this from a former welder who works for marathon. The classic marathon is a great deck. I purchased one last year and this year I was trying to buy a deck extension for it because I bought a longer sled. I tried calling there sales department and when I finally got a hold of them after a few days of calling the sales guy told me they didn't have any deck extensions were not planing on making any and good luck finding one! Basically my one year old deck was obsolete good luck getting any parts or accessories for it:rant:A week later I went on marathons website and called every dealer in Alberta,bc and Sask looking for an extension with no luck. I then called marathons office and talked to a nice girl in reception and told her my problem. She said o I think I heard of an extension left at a dealer in lethbridge then she asked the salesman and the smart ass said no he sold it yesterday. Why wouldn't that salesman even tried to locate me one a week before.Not happy with there sales department to say the least. I hope these guys are eating out of dumpsters by spring!

I'm sorry you couldn't find an extension. I'm glad that you are otherwise happy with your Marathon deck.

A "cheap and cheery" fix to a long sled on a 7' deck is to take a 4' long piece of 2x8 or 2x10 and jam half of it lengthwise between the deck surface and track of your sled--this will spread the weight of your track (which isn't very much) out over more than one paddle, preventing the paddle from "curling." You could also take an 18" piece of 2x3 and jam it sideways between paddles, so that the weight of the track is off the paddles altogether.

I would also suggest to anyone hauling a 151" + track sled on a 7' deck to use a "leash." Take a short piece of strap or a few feet of chain, loop it through your front bumper and back to a tie-down on the deck front. Secure it with a quick-link or a carabiner (from MEC, not a keychain carabiner from Canadian Tire). It doesn't have to be tight, just a secondary tie-down incase there was ice/snow built up on your skis when you employed your superclamp and it slips.

Thanks for the culinary suggestions, but I think that I'll stick to bagged lunches.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Don't believe anything this salesman is telling u:nono:The new truck boss deck is a piece of dog cum and the only reason they went to it is because it is much cheaper to produce than the old classic style. I have heard this from a former welder who works for marathon. The classic marathon is a great deck. I purchased one last year and this year I was trying to buy a deck extension for it because I bought a longer sled. I tried calling there sales department and when I finally got a hold of them after a few days of calling the sales guy told me they didn't have any deck extensions were not planing on making any and good luck finding one! Basically my one year old deck was obsolete good luck getting any parts or accessories for it:rant:A week later I went on marathons website and called every dealer in Alberta,bc and Sask looking for an extension with no luck. I then called marathons office and talked to a nice girl in reception and told her my problem. She said o I think I heard of an extension left at a dealer in lethbridge then she asked the salesman and the smart ass said no he sold it yesterday. Why wouldn't that salesman even tried to locate me one a week before.Not happy with there sales department to say the least. I hope these guys are eating out of dumpsters by spring!

Carbon you know you sound like a big baby that didn't get enough love from his daddy :eek: if you would have called every dealer then you would have found it in lethbridge wouldn't you....sounds like you need to warm some milk get into the fetal position. If marathon doesn't make extensions pull your thinking cap out and figure out how to build one yourself. But i'm sure you already thought of that.

Carbondeath

Reaction score
Hey Scuba my comments had nothing to do with you so why dont you mind your own business. Keep mouthing off like that and you will be the one in the fetal position when I give you a overhand right:nono:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I love internet fights!!!

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Scuba my comments had nothing to do with you so why dont you mind your own business. Keep mouthing off like that and you will be the one in the fetal position when I give you a overhand right:nono:

None of my business :rolleyes: When guys start coming on here and cutting down sponsors i make it my business. I have owned 2 marathon decks and not once had an issue with them. If you would have checked every dealer like you said you did you you wouldn't be in this little pickle. Overhead right whooooooooooooo internet tough guy...I would prefer a left upper cut.:cool::cool:

Last edited:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
carbon said nothing wrong it is his opinion back the fawk up off him! why should he have to call all over the countryside to find a deck extension marathon is the dealer they should try and be helpful to the customer and locate one it's a little thing called customer service you ever heard of it? at our nissanand chev dealer when a customer calls the parts center and reguests a part guess what we look for it cause we are the dealer!

So with the new mararthon deck you need to purchase superclamps and proper deck materials seperate from a $4000 price tag already??? wow that is a rip off my full lotus for $4000 came with superclamps and duradeck coating wich is way better than that cheap aluminum top! hate to say it guys but that is way to much money for a glorified tonneau cover! I have a standard style deck and have no problems with snow or dirt getting under my deck at all! gotta say though for $4000 you should be including superclamps,and the top deck protection and the different mounting kits for FREE not at an additional cost that is just ridiculous. maybe something to look at for next year might help you make more sales

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
at our nissanand chev dealer when a customer calls the parts center and reguests a part guess what we look for it cause we are the dealer!
As an auto dealer you have access to multiple real-time parts databases and stocking warehouses for those parts. Those databases are maintained by auto manufacturers, second party OEM parts manufacturers (Magna International etc), non-OEM parts manufacturers (NAPA) as well as third party companies that make a business out of middle-man'ing parts.

I would love to have such a database at my disposal, however as a small manufacturer I think that the implementation of such a system would run aground if I asked my dealer network to track their inventory in that manner.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just sayin instead of the salesman on the other end being a smart @$$ like what is being claimed here he should have wrote his info down and started right then and there hitting the phones trying to satisfy his customer a little effort goes a long way. im sure the sales guy was just having an off day we all blow people off sometimes

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry you couldn't find an extension. I'm glad that you are otherwise happy with your Marathon deck.

A "cheap and cheery" fix to a long sled on a 7' deck is to take a 4' long piece of 2x8 or 2x10 and jam half of it lengthwise between the deck surface and track of your sled--this will spread the weight of your track (which isn't very much) out over more than one paddle, preventing the paddle from "curling." You could also take an 18" piece of 2x3 and jam it sideways between paddles, so that the weight of the track is off the paddles altogether.

I would also suggest to anyone hauling a 151" + track sled on a 7' deck to use a "leash." Take a short piece of strap or a few feet of chain, loop it through your front bumper and back to a tie-down on the deck front. Secure it with a quick-link or a carabiner (from MEC, not a keychain carabiner from Canadian Tire). It doesn't have to be tight, just a secondary tie-down incase there was ice/snow built up on your skis when you employed your superclamp and it slips.

Thanks for the culinary suggestions, but I think that I'll stick to bagged lunches.

I'm empathetic to Carbon.. that's a chittty deal but your reply was very classy Vaughn. Good job. :beer:

Toxic Fingers

Reaction score
I think Marathon has Every Dealers Email on file for sending out Up Dates Etc and it wouldn`t take much effort on their part to send out a Email saying that Customer X is looking for a certain Part and if any Dealer has it to contact Marathon or the Customer directly. Really how many times a week would this happen anyways. I`m sure the Dealers would like to know where they can sell the product. It`s just good Business policy. Marathon would be getting Praise for trying to help instead of getting Crap.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the part I dont get from marathon and from Vaughn's answer is that why does marathon expect the customer to have to build something to make there decks work why cant marathon make the extension piece??? isnt it there product??? looks like the smart thing for one of the other deck builders to do would be get the specs on the marathon deck and build the extensions since marathon is not gonna continue to carry products for the classic decks one could make some pretty good money off of it!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$4000. is the Base Price on The New Truck Boss/ Marathon Deck. To have it all Rigged up to fit your Truck (Only fits a Dodge 2500/3500 with out the adapters) you need some adapter brackets, some Superclamps, HD Rear Only Support Legs, The Deck Surface is Slippery Aluminum. So you need the Carbide Protection Kit which is actually some Super Glides and a few more little things... Your looking more around $5200.oo Plus Tax

take it from this man he has sold both marathon and full lotus decks so obviously he doesnt sell just one kind! I bought my first full lotus from Al @CL trailer he is a great guy and knows his stuff.

Reaction score
I had a Marathon Tail Extension In Stock And When I Found Out Marathon Was Changing Directions And Going With The New Truck Boss Deck Design I Panicked And Sold It For Less Than Cost Thinking I Was Going To Have It Sitting On The Shelf Collecting Dust Forever. Dam Now I Wish I Had It. I Could Have Had A Little Side Line Business Making Tail Extensions For Angry Customers. With Marathons Written Permission Of Course. Funny You Never Know How Much You Loved Something Until It`s Gone.

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
I had a Marathon Tail Extension In Stock And When I Found Out Marathon Was Changing Directions And Going With The New Truck Boss Deck Design I Panicked And Sold It For Less Than Cost Thinking I Was Going To Have It Sitting On The Shelf Collecting Dust Forever. Dam Now I Wish I Had It. I Could Have Had A Little Side Line Business Making Tail Extensions For Angry Customers. With Marathons Written Permission Of Course. Funny You Never Know How Much You Loved Something Until It`s Gone.

Thank you for illustrating that point. This was a common reaction amongst our dealers--nobody wanted to be stuck with the old when the new was being released. Defunct inventory is expensive for a dealer to carry. This is why at the sled show there is always a few people selling "last model year" jackets and snowpants for a huge discount. Of course, the "last model year" clothing always seems to come in hot pink and teal, which leads me to believe that it is not "last model year" and actually from the 1990s--further illustrating the point that old stuff is hard to get rid of. It sums up the reason why Marathon couldn't build a stock of extensions for a discontinued product--our dealer network was not reasonably able to carry it.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

I have a brand new one...can slap it into Solidworks and have a production list in a few hours...You might be on to something here...I'll let you know if I can knock them out for the same price...

Ruger

Reaction score
Has anyone heard any good/bed news on a Marathon Truck boss deck?

Retails about $4000 and all aluminum, thinking about going this way as the deck sits on the bed rather than on legs in the box for a cleaner, more usable look. Plus it looks nice and sharp

Can be seen at Truckboss Modular Aluminum Truck Decks

Have you considered a Diamondback Truck Cover? could work for one sled.
I use one myself and carry 2 quads. I also am a dealer and have sold many to sled guys. Just check them out but make sure to search Diamondback Truck Covers or you will just end up with all kinds a junk.
Good Luck.

GPsnownut

Reaction score
IMO, Marathon has made a huge mistake discontinuing there sled deck, this opens the door wide open for Crosstrax, STF or Full lotus to take over the market, time will tell.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am honestly surprised that the truckboss is selling. I wouldn't be caught dead putting that thing on my expensive truck unless marathon was going to pay to repair it when it destroyed the box and cab. With how violent sleds can load, the box/cab will be mangled within no time. Marathon can claim they tested it all they want, but they still dropped the ball on the new design, trucks will be damaged in a few years guaranteed.

Plus the price is stupid, who is going to want a $4000+ deck? You can buy a 2 place enclosed for that, and you get a lot more. Might sell some, but I can't forsee much for sales when you are gouging on price that badly with a poor product.

And a VERY poor way to phase out a deck. You should be giving AMPLE heads up to customers and dealers that they are being discontinued. I bet a ton of customers will say screw you, I will buy from someone else who will provide products for the deck for more then a year. I know I would.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might also think that the DEALERS might network together, sending out a email asking if anyone had parts etc. I would take lots of work out of the supplier and might make some friends in process.
Just saying......Im sure if people worked together

Love the internet tough guys though, you never know who you might meet in life one day.

Kruchy

Reaction score
So violent when loading. Thats funny. Hey to all you haters, Marathon isn't holding a gun to anyones head to buy one of these things. Don't buy it if you don't like the design or the price. Most of the comments are from guys who have a deck already, so what are you worried about. Oh and don't compare an enclosed trailer to a deck. Thanks, I feel better now. :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Top Bottom