Truck camper questions.

Billydozer56

Reaction score
I know this is beat to death on the web, But I would like to hear from people in my area.

I live in central Alberta. I am considering upgrading from a tent. I was looking hard at a truck camper, An expandable one. I was thinking it would be great for storing in my garage if I had some kind of cart to move it in and out my garage. We dont have kids, I dont think I will be going on 2 week trips but wonder how long a guy could stay in one for? I would be going for 1-3 nights for the most part. How do they hold up during cold nights? Do they use lots of propane? I see not having a shower you save lots of $, just go with a outdoor shower? I have a quad and picking up a trailer is easy. , Tenting was fine until it rained and everything got wet. We would not be spending much time or hanging out inside but its nice to have a place to play cards or what not in bad weather.

I know that it will be with my truck if i want to go into town for anything, But cant these be set on the ground or on stands when camping to free up my truck? What do you think about truck campers? am I wasting my time and go for a tent trailer or travel trailer? I was thinking a truck camper might be less hassle.

Thanks for your time :beer:

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your gonna be buying a trailer may as well go redneck toyhauler. then your truck is free always.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on your cash situation look at a wolf pack trailer, I think that's a good way to go. Just google Wolfpack trailer to see one.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this is beat to death on the web, But I would like to hear from people in my area.

I live in central Alberta. I am considering upgrading from a tent. I was looking hard at a truck camper, An expandable one. I was thinking it would be great for storing in my garage if I had some kind of cart to move it in and out my garage. We dont have kids, I dont think I will be going on 2 week trips but wonder how long a guy could stay in one for? I would be going for 1-3 nights for the most part. How do they hold up during cold nights? Do they use lots of propane? I see not having a shower you save lots of $, just go with a outdoor shower? I have a quad and picking up a trailer is easy. , Tenting was fine until it rained and everything got wet. We would not be spending much time or hanging out inside but its nice to have a place to play cards or what not in bad weather.

I know that it will be with my truck if i want to go into town for anything, But cant these be set on the ground or on stands when camping to free up my truck? What do you think about truck campers? am I wasting my time and go for a tent trailer or travel trailer? I was thinking a truck camper might be less hassle.

Thanks for your time :beer:
I had a little 8' slide in for years, wasn't an expandable model but it was super light. fridge and furnace, hand pump for water. propane won't be an issue, battery power is what will be your limitation especially if your furnace has to run all night.

I used to kick mine out of the box onto a couple 45 gallon drums on end, had built my own camper belly bars and used overcenter boomers to tie it down. could have it out onto the barrels in about 15 minutes. I never had to do it to run to town or anything while camping tho. but you could if you had to, couple sawhorses wouldn't take up much room on your trailer.

mine stayed toasty warm, I used to use it sledding as well. anything warmer than -20 it was good to go. propane would last 3 days or more of running the furnace constantly. I've camped for 5 days straight in it a few times, no worries. packing groceries gets tight tho. bring a few coolers as well and you're golden.

as for a shower....unless you have some kind of serious BO issue, use wet wipes if it's really super necessary for you feel like you're clean. it's camping for chrissakes lol. they do make some cool little propane fired shower heater deals, cheap and they seem to work for at least a warm shower.

I have no experience with a tent trailer, other than seeing friends with them and how much of a pain in the ass they were. I think they're more if you only have a minivan type thing....

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They work well. I am bringing one back soon to use. I like having all the room in my motorhome but the camper is small and easy. So If I am going out by myself ill take the camper. If the wife and dog come we will use the motorhome. I used to have a camper years ago we used often. The wife was always cold. I wasn't. For two people it is cramped but a big step up from a tent. As in Huge step up. Most have a shower and toilet in them. You will need a big truck unless the camper is extremely light. You can get them off and on pretty quick once you figure things out. The bonus with a camper is you can get them into areas you can't with trailers or motorhomes.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't had one but used to camp with my folks in one a lot as a kid. The problems with them that I see are the cost, you can get a lot more travel trailer for the cost of a camper. Also the time to load it up and set up if you don't leave it in the truck all summer. With a trailer I love being able to come home Friday afternoon and be gone within ten minutes, it's also nice on longer trips to unhook and then have your truck for running around.

Billydozer56

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was checking out palomino back pack expandable unit. I have a friend that would sell it to me for a good price. Can they be unloaded at the campsite and still be used? Is that practical?

I would ask him but he inherited this he never used it

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can unload them and use them but it is hard on the jacks and floor. Better to have it supported if you are going to do that.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was checking out palomino back pack expandable unit. I have a friend that would sell it to me for a good price. Can they be unloaded at the campsite and still be used? Is that practical?

I would ask him but he inherited this he never used it
as mentioned, you would certainly need to support the floor if you were going to kick it off and camp in it. the jacks alone aren't very stable and will not take any sideways stress without damage to the mounting points.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As the kids left home, we went back to a camper, so the two of us can haul our boat, horse trailer or sled/quad trailer.....

We have and can load and unload in about 10 min....the newer units like a lot of things have changed a lot....ours has the subfloor or basement model as well as the whole side slides out...so it opens the unit up a lot....the entire dinette and fridge slide out...off the truck we lower it down and use it that way, we have the truck freed up...it's stable and the floor is solid....

You can lower and or raise all four jacks at the same time with the remote control.

As far as staying in colder temps, the claim of this and some of the brands is they are four season rated....I tested it by placing pop bottles of water in the winterized camper...the outside temp was -22.

Two of the bottles of water started to freeze on day 2, one was in the basement (under floor storage ), the other inside the cupboard...

I have since added some insulation to the two sky lights, ran another duct into the under floor area, as well added a shutoff to the outside shower, I do put insulation behind several of the outside access doors as well.

The second test no freezing after four days....

Inside temp was set to 15 degrees and it maintained that rather easy...

Any weather in the summer, spring or fall, this camper handles it very well...

We have solar panels to charge the two camper batteries, and a built in 2000 watt gen set to run the micro wave or AC if we really need them...

Works for us....

Truck Camper Canada | Huge Inventory and Best Prices

Attachments

• floor diagram.jpg
    floor diagram.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG-20120909-006282.jpg
    IMG-20120909-006282.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 238

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a 32 ft 5th wheel and either this summer or next want to sell it for a truck camper. We have a designated camping truck and the pro's for being able to bring bigger toy trailers out of province and ease of travel is my interest. Seeing Iron Horse's shot of the camper set down at the lot to free the truck and give easier access is an awesome idea!
Also when out of season storage takes up half the space of the 5th wheel.
I would say if your buying second hand you could save the loss of depreciation and re sell dwn the road if your not happy with it. Anything is better then tenting IMO. As far as being cold, they wont be anyworse than a trailer or fifth wheel. basic same structure and heating components just half the space to accomadate.

Top Bottom