Truck bucks when towing 5 th wheel

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has advise on this. I had an 08 f350 diesel short box that I towed my 42' fifth wheel with and it was smooth. Had the conventional rail hitch set up. I just bought a 2014 Denali long box dually and installed a goose ball hitch in it and use a mumby fifth wheel adapter and as I go down highway and hit a bump it rocks the truck pretty good just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this and found solutions. Thanks

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there is any flex in the gooseneck adapter it can do this, acts like a spring and will push the truck forward and back, not really a bucking motion but can sometimes feel the same. Check to make sure all the bolts in the hitch are tight, otherwise it might just be the nature of the beast.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has advise on this. I had an 08 f350 diesel short box that I towed my 42' fifth wheel with and it was smooth. Had the conventional rail hitch set up. I just bought a 2014 Denali long box dually and installed a goose ball hitch in it and use a mumby fifth wheel adapter and as I go down highway and hit a bump it rocks the truck pretty good just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this and found solutions. Thanks
I'd say that with the ball, there's at least one more place for some play compaired to a slide rail 5th wheel hitch , as the trailer loads and unloads the truck it moves

Last edited:

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that it is in your ball conversion. Speaking from experience, there is no way I would use one on a trailer that big. The converter adds a tremendous amount of extra stress to the king pin. I was using one on a 26' trailer and the king pin ripped through the plate on the bottom of the pin box. Didn't lose the trailer but made me sick when I saw the state that it was in.

P.S. I have a converter for sale if anyone is interested.

Denali

Reaction score
I was entertaining the thought of using a convertor for towing. Talked to the salesman from supplier in red deer. They won't sell them due to the added stress to the trailer. All that motion will ruin the walls above the fifth wheel and if there is a slide in the bedroom it can tear the walls apart. Warranty on trailer will not cover these damages so I am staying with the kingpin style hitch. I'd rather loose a little box space then destroy my trailer. He showed me pics and I was convinced rather quickly.

Top Bottom