traveling through montana and idaho with toyhauler

z400

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has been hasseled or heard of anyone get in trouble traveling around montana and idaho i have a chev2500hd and a 40' toyhauler i know im over weight btu in alberta they only go buy tire weight so im good here but going buy gcwr im over i just dont want to get down there and have to leave my trailer behind and have a big fine to pay and then listen to the wife yell....:realmad::nono:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably not get hasseled but one thing to think about if you do happen to get in an accident our litigious neighbours to the south will have a great time once they find out you were overweight. I'd imagine your insurance company would bail at their earliest convenience as well.
Way I see it if you can afford a 40" toyhauler you can afford a truck to pull it properly.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has been hasseled or heard of anyone get in trouble traveling around montana and idaho i have a chev2500hd and a 40' toyhauler i know im over weight btu in alberta they only go buy tire weight so im good here but going buy gcwr im over i just dont want to get down there and have to leave my trailer behind and have a big fine to pay and then listen to the wife yell....:realmad::nono:

Depends on the hitch weight in the truck which in turns Ur rear axle weight.

Bet ya are over the rear axle weight by 500 lbs

sent from my htc

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
better buy a bigger truck 2500 with a 40 foot trailer dont think so

z400

Reaction score
like i said in the post yes im over weight by the truck but by the tires im fine which is all the dots look at here in alberta but what i wanted to know is how montana and idaho dots look at things and if anyone had or heard of peolplegetting into trouble down there

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like i said in the post yes im over weight by the truck but by the tires im fine which is all the dots look at here in alberta but what i wanted to know is how montana and idaho dots look at things and if anyone had or heard of peolplegetting into trouble down there

If you have a "11" 2500hd or newer you won't be over unless your toyhauler is an old one. The new 2500hd's can tow more than the 2010 and under 1 tons.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
better buy a bigger truck 2500 with a 40 foot trailer dont think so
my '06 2500HD has the same weight rating as a one ton, the only model of 1 ton that has more capacity is a dually. with my tandem axle 39.5' tahoe transport I am well within my GVW as well as GCVW.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
my '06 2500HD has the same weight rating as a one ton, the only model of 1 ton that has more capacity is a dually. with my tandem axle 39.5' tahoe transport I am well within my GVW as well as GCVW.

Ya, but you're a super trucker

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

B.s dude.

I have been looking at trucks in the one ton single wheel.

Urs has a 6400 lb rear axle

1 ton single has 6900 rear axle.

Older 1 ton singles like my 97 chev is the same as Ur 2500 hd.

sent from my htc

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
B.s dude.

sent from my htc
i got the information straight out of my owner's manual. 2006 K2500 extended cab long box, 8100 v8 4wd, 4:10 ratio, max trailer weight 12000 lbs, GCWR 22,000 lbs. the GCWR of a 2006 K3500 single wheel extended cab is the same. the dually can pull a trailer weight of 15000lbs but the GCWR is the same at 22000lbs.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
B.s dude.

sent from my htc

Not sure about GM stuff but my F350 SRW is rated for 7000 on the rear, my older dually is 8250 but both have the same combined at 11200. I know the one with training wheels kicks as on the SRW when it comes to how it tows.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got the information straight out of my owner's manual. 2006 K2500 extended cab long box, 8100 v8 4wd, 4:10 ratio, max trailer weight 12000 lbs, GCWR 22,000 lbs. the GCWR of a 2006 K3500 single wheel extended cab is the same. the dually can pull a trailer weight of 15000lbs but the GCWR is the same at 22000lbs.

Yes u might be right there.

But I'm talking rear axle gvw. Cause that's what will be over and that's what is going to get ya.

If its a 40 foot triaxle trailer with a more than one slide it will have at least 3000 lbs hitch weight.

That makes a 2500hd over on the rear axle with a 6400 lb rear axle.

sent from my htc

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
(((like i said in the post yes im over weight by the truck but by the tires im fine which is all the dots look at here in alberta but what i wanted to know is how montana and idaho dots look at things and if anyone had or heard of peolplegetting into trouble down there))))

Not sure where you get your information from??????????????????

DOT goes by the weight rating on the pillar post of the drivers door!!!
BUT can not exceed the trucks max GVW
Also the max trailer tow weight + the trucks max = GCVW (gross combined vehicle weight)
Exceed any of these and you are good for a ticket
Stop by a Government Weight Scale and talk to the officers - a 2500 hd can not pull a 40' trailer period... even in Alberta
I wanted a 33' 5th wheel at 14,000lbs and am over on rear wheel weight and GCVW

They do not give 2 sh!ts about your tires, size or weight rating -- period.
Their explaination is the axle size, bearings, brakes are only rated for the pillar post rating

If you are stopped by a weightscale DOT - your trailer stays put until a proper sized truck comes to tow it away
If a rodeside hazard they will call a tow truck to impond your trailer until you can come and get it

You are so far over your rear axle weight, they can spot you driving by them

Last edited:

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After watching 1/2 and 3/4 tons towing monster 5th wheels all over Alberta all summer I have concluded you would have to be nuts not to have a 1 ton. Swaying and swerving all over the place in a cross wind the drivers looked they could press coal into diamonds with there butcheeks judging by their faces when I passed them.
I'm pretty sure the second trailer doesn't help either.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes u might be right there.

But I'm talking rear axle gvw. Cause that's what will be over and that's what is going to get ya.

If its a 40 foot triaxle trailer with a more than one slide it will have at least 3000 lbs hitch weight.

That makes a 2500hd over on the rear axle with a 6400 lb rear axle.

sent from my htc
hooked up to the trailer loaded with water but no machine in the garage the rear axle was 2740kg or 6041lbs. .

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
(((like i said in the post yes im over weight by the truck but by the tires im fine which is all the dots look at here in alberta but what i wanted to know is how montana and idaho dots look at things and if anyone had or heard of peolplegetting into trouble down there))))

Not sure where you get your information from??????????????????

DOT goes by the weight rating on the pillar post of the drivers door!!!
I once stopped in at the weigh scale north of town when I put a deck on my truck, loaded it with sleds and ran up there at like 10pm to weigh it. an officer was inside and came out to bs. I explained what I was doing, and he told me exactly what that dude said..."we go by your tire rating here, but they go by GVW decals in BC"

z400

Reaction score
I once stopped in at the weigh scale north of town when I put a deck on my truck, loaded it with sleds and ran up there at like 10pm to weigh it. an officer was inside and came out to bs. I explained what I was doing, and he told me exactly what that dude said..."we go by your tire rating here, but they go by GVW decals in BC"

i also have personally talked directly to a few dot officers and everyone of them have told me in alberta they only go by tire weight rateing and look the other way about gvw and gcwr. they will not pull any one over or ticket anyone unless their tire weight is exceeded, and yes as i have said time and time again i know that im over weight as for gcwr but that is not what i was asking i want to know how montana and idaho work so in conclusion yes I AM OVER WEIGHT AND YES I EXCEED GVW AND GCWR

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i also have personally talked directly to a few dot officers and everyone of them have told me in alberta they only go by tire weight rateing and look the other way about gvw and gcwr. they will not pull any one over or ticket anyone unless their tire weight is exceeded, and yes as i have said time and time again i know that im over weight as for gcwr but that is not what i was asking i want to know how montana and idaho work so in conclusion yes I AM OVER WEIGHT AND YES I EXCEED GVW AND GCWR
I don't know what to tell you man, would sure wreck a holiday.

z400

Reaction score
i know thats why i want to know befor i head that way im not going untill next summer so i guess i have time to find out i just dont know where to find out how they run their show im not going to attempt it if they are going to hassle me thats the reason i wont step foot in bc with my trailer i just might have to down size

Top Bottom